Vestacp + Blesta = Awesome

EidolonHost

Hi, Blesta Devs!

It would be awesome if you guys could help the VestaCP developers create a method for Blesta to communicate with VestaCP, or vice versa.

VestaCP's website says they already work with WHMCS... though I don't have a WHMCS instance to test this claim. But I would suggest that this might be a good idea to have in place early.

Right now though, I'm working on figuring out how to integrate VestaCP with the Universal Module, but it would be amazing to have a VestaCP module directly from the Blesta devs.

Sidenote: You guys are amazing. Seriously, amazing.

I haven't heard of VestaCP before, interestingly it's name is very similar to Blesta.

Just looking at their screenshots, while pretty basic it looks like an excellent open source Panel. Certainly if it works well. Do they have API docs?

It's all Russian lol but I think this is their WHM** one: click here.

But it's confusing: http://forum.vestacp.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3657&sid=24c6c2cffec9fea8e34d283d2692747e#p5758 you'll need to use chrome or a good translator lol.

I haven't heard of VestaCP before, interestingly it's name is very similar to Blesta.

Just looking at their screenshots, while pretty basic it looks like an excellent open source Panel. Certainly if it works well. Do they have API docs?

Not sure if they have API docs. I suspect they do, also, apologies on the late response.

It's all Russian lol but I think this is their WHM** one: click here.

But it's confusing: http://forum.vestacp.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3657&sid=24c6c2cffec9fea8e34d283d2692747e#p5758 you'll need to use chrome or a good translator lol.

Yup, Russian. Though they're working on translating it into English and other languages. Good to know that you found the WHMCS one... I should've found that, myself. Obviously though, I didn't think about it. Heh.

Edit: Looking at the module in question, it's in English... and that is a very good thing. Also unencoded!

I imagine you could do a Blesta one, based on this...

Edit2:

Chrome auto-translated for me:

In the panel, it has a full API, but unfortunately, the documentation on how to use it is not ready yet. I'll try to briefly describe the key points, but if something is not clear, ask. in the folder / usr / local / vesta / bin scripts are located, which are both functions of the API. If you need to create a user, you need a script v-add-user, if you want to delete the database, it will make the script v-delete-database, and so on, by analogy. In other words, if you do ls / usr / local / vesta / bin, then you can get an idea of the options available. If you run the script without any parameters, it issues a statement on the use of:

[Root @ V-test ~] # V-Add-User 
Error: not enought arguments 
Usage: V-Add-User USER PASSWORD EMAIL [PACKAGE] [FNAME] [LNAME]

Each script returns return_code. If return_code is 0, then the operation completed successfully. Any other number will indicate an error. Actual table return codes can always be found in the file / usr / local / vesta / func / main.sh

OK=0
E_ARGS=1
E_INVALID=2
E_NOTEXIST=3
E_EXISTS=4
E_SUSPENDED=5
E_UNSUSPENDED=6
E_INUSE=7
E_LIMIT=8
E_PASSWORD=9
E_FORBIDEN=10
E_DISABLED=11
E_PARSING=12
E_DISK=13
E_LA=14
E_FTP=15
E_SSH=16
E_DB=17
E_RRD=18
E_UPDATE=19
E_RESTART=20

UNIX API inspired ideas and therefore all information is stored in plain text files. Each script solves only one task. Upon successful completion of the script, for nothing is displayed. If an error occurs, the script immediately exits and displays a message on the screen. Returning to the creation of user and check the return code.

[Root @ V-test ~] # V-Add-User 
Error: not enought arguments 
Usage: V-Add-User USER PASSWORD EMAIL [PACKAGE] [FNAME] [LNAME] 
[root @ V-test ~] # echo $? 

From Table 1 above it E_ARGS, which means that an insufficient number of arguments. Optional parameters are enclosed in brackets kvadtratnye. To successfully create a user need only 3 azadt argument - user name, password, and email address. If the package is not specified, will be replaced by the default package, which is called the default.

[Root @ V-test ~] # V-Add-User Demo d3mo0p4ssw0rd demo@vestacp.com 
[root @ V-test ~] # echo $? 

In addition to the categories of scripts for creating and changing, there is a category for display, such sripta fall into the pattern v-list-*. Scripts can display information in several formats. Currently, these 3 formats: shell, plain and json. The first two are convenient to work from the command line.

[Root @ V-test ~] # V-list-users Shell 
USER PACKAGE U_DISK U_BANDWIDTH SUSPENDED DATE 
----------------------------- ------------------------- 
admin Default no 2013-02-11 3 0 
1 0 Default test no 2013-03-10 
Demo Default 0 0 no 2013-03-18

The third format is used for the operation of the web interface, which work uses the same API. For the operation of the web-based interface to the system is installed an additional web server nginx and php-fpm, to handle php. All requests made ​​under the user interface admin, which is allowed to serve api via sudo. now specifically try to answer your question about the creation of users. There are 2 options: 1) You can ipolzovat api directly executing scripts in / usr / local / vesta / bin, as it makes the web interface 2) You can use the wrapper-om the web interface to access the api. In most cases, the second option would be relevant. Further about it. By the way, just recently been implemented billing system integration WHMSC its wrapper-a. In the module for whmcs implemented key features that interest you and probably. The module is able to: * Create Customer service area * delete users * change the user's password * add web / mail / dns domain to wrapper-u need to handle POST requests, passing the user name and password admin. Here are a few examples of the most vsotrebovannyh:

# Create user Add a user to a domain Delete user domains including its https://server-ip/api/?&user=admin&password=currentpwd&cmd=v-delete-user&arg1=demo

And reproduced for you here, in English for the most part.

• 4 months later...

It's looking awesome to me. I'm gonna be really keeping an eye on these guys. I might even spin up a VM and do some testing later.

Ever since the beginning of this post I started running a handful of sites on it and it's pretty awesome. It's just very simple in design and robust. It's not very invasive in comparison to a LAMP server without a panel. So it's easy for sysadmins to deal with since everything is pretty much where you'd expect it to be. It's still young so take that into consideration but it's still very usable and has nice momentum.

The Blesta module will be a huge plus and there's a CloudLinux module coming but not sure when.  Can't wait for that.  :)

Ever since the beginning of this post I started running a handful of sites on it and it's pretty awesome. It's just very simple in design and robust. It's not very invasive in comparison to a LAMP server without a panel. So it's easy for sysadmins to deal with since everything is pretty much where you'd expect it to be. It's still young so take that into consideration but it's still very usable and has nice momentum.

The Blesta module will be a huge plus and there's a CloudLinux module coming but not sure when. Can't wait for that. :)

I'm going to start testing it out a little later today.

The only thing that I have found to dislike is the handling of phpmyadmin. The way it is setup by default could create a large security risk for admins that just use a default install. I made a post on the vesta forums about it. https://forum.vestacp.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4800 

Other than that one feature I have found that this is the most robust and easiest to customize control panel.  Compared to a lot of the the other open source control panels this one is the lightest and has things setup in logical ways.

The only thing that I have found to dislike is the handling of phpmyadmin. The way it is setup by default could create a large security risk for admins that just use a default install. I made a post on the vesta forums about it. https://forum.vestacp.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4800 

Other than that one feature I have found that this is the most robust and easiest to customize control panel.  Compared to a lot of the the other open source control panels this one is the lightest and has things setup in logical ways.

Yea it's definitely not ready to go out of the box because it's super minimal.  That's the double edge sword but because it's pretty close to a vanilla LAMP server it's very easy to modify.  I personally wish there were some options as to which services you want to install.  I would prefer not to run email off of it for example.

• 4 weeks later...

Have you heard any updates on this?  Just curious since they haven't updated the release date on the roadmap.

I've been playing with VestaCP the last few days, it seems to be the best open source CP around (at least for my needs).

I'm going to be building a new more simple interface around it based on angular/node so that the one interface will control multiple hosting servers.

My idea is to have one controller daemon which the browser talks to, and that will control all the other servers including hosting (VestaCP), MySQL, DNS (PowerDNS), backup, CDN  etc.

I won't be using the DNS or DB services on VestaCP because I don't want any duplication when using multiple servers. I also won't be using the FTP service (only SCP/SFTP via rssh). I will be using a combination of Google Apps and a transactional email provider to provide mail functionality for now.

There's a whole lot of other functionality I want to add including PHP-FPM support, a file manager, auto CSS and JS minification (different than how Google Pagespeed works), SSL cert integration with my provider, new backup centre, advanced client permissions settings, Nginx/Apache templates and a module specifically for OpenCart (the platform I'm foccusing on).

Ultimately I will be writing new modules for my own system, not VestaCP, as I want more flexibility in regards to the API, storage system, authentication system and distributed/horizontally scaled servers.

All the above is a very big project though, so I will probably have to just theme the standard interface for the launch of my company. I'm looking forward to the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS release in a few hours, hopefully VestaCP won't require too many changes.

I personally wish there were some options as to which services you want to install.  I would prefer not to run email off of it for example.

Exactly, I was thinking the same thing. The install script however is pretty minimal and should be easy enough to customise (the http://vestacp.com/pub/vst-install-ubuntu.sh) one not http://vestacp.com/pub/vst-install.sh

Oh and by the way, not sure if you guys found this, but they do have English API docs: http://vestacp.com/docs/api/

A link to their bug tracker as well: https://bugs.vestacp.com/

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Did anyone complete a vestacp module?  Would be nice to have a ready made one, if one is floating around,

Edit: imho almost 7000 page views = prioity feature. The highest number of views, over twice the number of the second most popular thread in feature requests.

What do people think? :unsure:

Did anyone complete a vestacp module?  Would be nice to have a ready made one, if one is floating around,

Edit: imho almost 7000 page views = prioity feature. The highest number of views, over twice the number of the second most popular thread in feature requests.

What do people think? :unsure:

views could be anything :P from google to competitors it's replies and time.