Domain Contacts

interfasys

In most cases, people who will register domain names with us will want us to manage them as well, which means that the admin and tech contacts will, most of the time, be the same and won't be the ones of the customer.

So, how about letting us add those contacts in the module section so that they're being offered as standard admin and tech contacts at register/transfer time?

That would be phase 1.

Phase 2 would introduce a personal contacts database for domains so that a user could, at registration time, select a contact from a dropdown instead of having to type everything every time or accept to use his account details for every domain contact.

Having such a database would make it very easy for customers to change their address on every domain they own.

Every serious domain registrar offers a contacts database and it makes it so much easier to quickly and properly register domains.

I'm not sure I understand your phase 1.. I believe clients can change the whois for every domain contact type by managing the service, for every domain registrar module we've released so far. Or am I missing something?

For phase 2, this would be a good addition to the plugin we're planning to build for domain registrations. The plugin is meant to consolidate a lot of the methods shared between all domain registrars, and provide a simpler way for managing domains. This would include, to start with, a pricing grid for TLDs, which would be easier than configuring a package for each one. This could potentially also include a domain management section for clients where they can do bulk domain updates, and store contact details as you describe.

I'm not able to add a domain to a client at the moment, logicbox gives me a

{"status":"ERROR","message":"An unexpected error has occurred"}

even though, I asked the console not to provision the domain. But from what I understand from your reply, whois management is performed after registration.

What I'd like to see at registration time are dropdowns

Registrant: [customer, custom1, etc., new contact]

Admin contact: [default admin, customer, custom1, etc., new contact]

Billing contact: [default admin, customer, custom1, etc., new contact]

Tech contact:  [default tech, customer, custom1, etc., new contact]

That way a domain is properly configured right from the start, for people hosting with us and adding domain names.

People who know what they're doing can pick a different existing contact or create a new one.

I like what I'm hearing about phase 2 and I hope you'll consult with all of us when trying to put it all together. There is not a single billing platform which does it right, although AWBS was quite close last time I checked. It's not too much of an issue if people don't care about whois data and only use a single registrar for all their domain needs, but it's a headache otherwise.

• 9 months later...

I've been re-thinking this and only Registrant and tech contact should be offered at registration time. Admin and billing should always be us for as long as they're registered on our system.

Also, the tech contact should only be offered if the customer is using external nameservers.

It's different than offering an interface as a registrar. Customers are using our billing platform and our technical infrastructure and the contacts whould reflect this.

As admin contacts, we're responsible for sending the WHOIS and renewal emails.

As tech contacts, we should be the ones being contacted regarding the hosting of that domain.

I've been re-thinking this and only Registrant and tech contact should be offered at registration time. Admin and billing should always be us for as long as they're registered on our system.

Also, the tech contact should only be offered if the customer is using external nameservers.

It's different than offering an interface as a registrar. Customers are using our billing platform and our technical infrastructure and the contacts whould reflect this.

As admin contacts, we're responsible for sending the WHOIS and renewal emails.

As tech contacts, we should be the ones being contacted regarding the hosting of that domain.

Sipply change/edit the logicbox module and put your own info for admin/tech .

in the wois tab , you can disable the admin/tech from bieng edited ( i think this is against ICCAN plicies , not sure )

There are two problems with this approach

1. The customer can't define his own tech contact at registration time (but it would work for the admin contact)
  2. This has to be done for every registrar and that's the reason I'm asking for this to be integrated in Blesta itself

And yes, we wouldn't disable it in the WHOIS tab. The idea is to get customers to fill everything correctly at registration time since most are not experts. If they want to change everything afterwards, so be it. I think it's actually useful to be able to change the admin contact if they want to transfer elsewhere per example.

I appreciate the feedback/tips btw ;)

• 2 weeks later...

This has to be done for every registrar and that's the reason I'm asking for this to be integrated in Blesta itself

It couldn't be built directly into the core (and shouldn't).  Even Blesta uses modules for separate domain registrars, not the core.  

But I do +1 the request to have it added to the currently existing (and future made) Registrar modules.

I would probably make it optional in the settings of each registrar if it were me, that way for people who only want to allow one contact it would be simple.

Also if this is implemented, something like a "same as X contact" for each area would be nice, that way if you have 2 contact people, it would be easier to list 1 of them for 3 contact types, and 1 for the 4th...without having to retype the first persons info 3 times.