Parent/child Companies

niyo

I started to respond to this thread about assigning a client to multiple companies and my response sort of became a feature request so here it is:

I think the ability to allow clients to have access to more than one company might come in handy. It would make up selling a lot easier. For example a web design company who also have a hosting company. They could up sell design services to hosting company clients and it can remain a seamless experience for the end customer.

For me I'd like this as I plan to start hosting in a couple of niches. Niche 1 will be a low end host and niche 2 a little more advanced. It would be nice if customers from niche 1 could naturally progress to niche 2 once they outgrow niche 1.

Another application could be that once you launch your affiliate module it would be great if customers affiliate cookies could work across our different companies.

In short the segregation and modular control of how you've implemented companies is great, however some integration both staff side and client side could prove to be powerful, such as the thread about handling multi-company support.

actually just an additional thought, this could perhaps be achieved by some sort of parent company system whereby child companies of a parent company have some degree of integration. That will also allow people to keep complete segregation with sister companies.

just thinking out loud...

I believe that underlying support for the ability of clients to belong to more than one company exists (Or at least, a client login working for multiple client accounts across companies), however, there is more work involved in handling this. So, it's something we anticipated, but haven't had many requests for.

I'm not sure I understand the parent/child company relationship that you describe, or whether that's something that's even feasible in the current architecture. I suppose I'd need some real-world examples of how such relationships between companies would play out.