[Client Custom Fields] - Wen Read Only, Client Cant Add Info Wen In Client Registration Form

PauloV

Hello,

Wen we add a new custom field in admin area with the options:

Visible to Clients (checked)
Read Only for Clients (cheked)
Required (yes)

Wen a Client is on the Client Registration Form, the field is "Read Only", and the client cannot insert the info needed.

For exemple, we want the client to insert the info on that custom field wen registering as client, but after that, we dont want the client to change that field in Client Area.

That would be a good feature request, the reason it's not working is the "read only" bit that's why we don't use that anymore lol. We did try it when we first opened but it didn't work like what you expected.

Yes, I know, but dosent make sence :) The "read only" only has to work on Client Area and not wen a client is registering :)

How the hell we can make a field "read only" + "required" lol :P

How it is done right now we cannot ever, never, enable the "read only" + "required" or the client cannot finish the process ;)

There is 3 kinds of "bugs" in my view

1º- Bugs that cause errors

2º- Bugs that dosent work the way it should work

3º- Bugs that dosent make sense the way it works

This "Bug" goes into the 2º and 3º category :P

"Sugesttions", is for me, new functionality that isnt alredy implementd, in this case dosent fit here because the functionality alredy exists ;)

P.S- Only my opinion :P

in my opinion if we check required + read only .

if the field is read only & required and is empty (no value) , the input should be editable , that mean that the user can fill the field in registration or in the client area ( a notice that the data can't be changed after by the client himself) , if the field is filled then the input should be disabled .

that sceanarion is the best approuch .

There is 3 kinds of "bugs" in my view

1º- Bugs that cause errors

2º- Bugs that dosent work the way it should work

3º- Bugs that dosent make sense the way it works

This "Bug" goes into the 2º and 3º category :P

I think this falls into

4º- Setting configurations that can contradict each other in some contexts (i.e. misconfiguration)

But there are two main kinds of bugs:

1. Functionality that does not work as intended
  2. A program that causes an unexpected error or flaw (basically #1)

Both of those would be determined from the perspective of the software developers.

I would say this is not a bug because "Read Only for Clients" is clear that the field is read only. If it should also be a required field, then you should set a default value, because read only fields cannot be written by clients.

It sounds like you want an option for clients to set a value once, but never again (i.e. add but never edit). And I think that might be a good feature request.

... then you should set a default value, because read only fields cannot be written by clients.

How the hell can I set a default value if I want the field to be "required"? lol :D

I dont see the intended prupose to have the two option selected,  "required" + "read only", if we cant use them both as they should work.

To not discuss this more as a "BUG" because I dont like to argue and make more exemples and excuses ;) , can you (Tyson/Cody/Paul) please move this forum to "Sugestions"? this way I dont have to make anouther post regarding asking this :P

Like I always said, its just to help Blesta, not me, because I can easly add this to our Blesta, modifing a simple line of code on the Client Form.

How the hell can I set a default value if I want the field to be "required"? lol :D

I dont see the intended prupose to have the two option selected,  "required" + "read only", if we cant use them both as they should work.

To not discuss this more as a "BUG" because I dont like to argue and make more exemples and excuses ;) , can you (Tyson/Cody/Paul) please move this forum to "Sugestions"? this way I dont have to make anouther post regarding asking this :P

Like I always said, its just to help Blesta, not me, because I can easly add this to our Blesta, modifing a simple line of code on the Client Form.

I suppose you would need to select a different Type to set a default value. Maybe another improvement could be to allow default values to be set/selected for each type.

I like the idea of adding in more improvements to custom fields, like making a field read only only after it has been added once, but that is beyond the scope of the current "Read Only for Clients" option. I wouldn't want to tie this feature into that setting because it would add unnecessary complexity. A setting should only handle a single, specific, use case. I wouldn't want users to be confused because "Read Only for Clients" would then be conditional on whether a client is being created or edited.

Of course, you could update the Order registration form to update this behavior--and by all means, feel free to do that--but we have to consider how this would affect everyone that uses custom client fields, and provide the best simple and general solution for all. I believe the simplest solution here would be to create a new setting to handle that case.

.... and provide the best simple and general solution for all.

I believe the simplest solution here would be to create a new setting to handle that case.

the sammple and logical solution for Read-Only + Required is :

I like the idea of adding in more improvements to custom fields, like making a field read only only after it has been added once,

That was my point of view .