Paypal Subscriptions

Jonathan

Question

If a pre-existing PayPal subscription exists with a client who does have an account in Blesta is sending their monthly payment, is Blesta supposed to be smart enough to track this and pick it up based on the IPN call from PayPal sent to Blesta and the person's email address?

This is how WHMCS works and I have a Blesta install which was imported from WHMCS and all of WHMCSs existing subscriptions aren't being picked up or tracked by Blesta even though I see clearly where PayPal makes the IPN call to Blesta in the Apache logs and returns a "200 OK".  Blesta's logs however have no record of such, there's no transaction, and the customer ends up getting suspended.

Thoughts?

5 answers to this question

It could be any of these mate:

1. You don't have the IPN url in PayPal, even though PayPal is given everything from Blesta, sometimes PayPal will play up.

2. Your Primary email address isn't the one in the module.

https://licensecart.com/billing/plugin/support_manager/knowledgebase/view/11/what-s-the-paypal-ipn-callback-url/1/

It could be any of these mate:

1. You don't have the IPN url in PayPal, even though PayPal is given everything from Blesta, sometimes PayPal will play up.

2. Your Primary email address isn't the one in the module.

https://licensecart.com/billing/plugin/support_manager/knowledgebase/view/11/what-s-the-paypal-ipn-callback-url/1/

1) This is disproved by the successful HTTP request made from PayPal to Blesta as verified by webserver logs at the time of the payment.

2) It matches as I've verified about 20 times.  If it didn't, manual PayPal payments wouldn't be working.

Blesta gives PayPal a unique URL to post each IPN notification to so that the payment can be correctly applied. The URL contains the company ID, along with the internal client ID. This allows payments to be applied correctly even when the same person may have multiple client accounts, even across multiple companies.

The issue is one we've discussed internally in the past, and I believe there were limitations to being able to make this work without re-creating the subscription. I suspect it may be possible by creating a file that acts like a proxy, taking the IPN request, and determining the internal Client ID and company to apply it to. Proxying the response back to PayPal.

I'll bring it up again on Monday. If you have information about what URL PayPal notifies on whmcs installations, it may be helpful. I would really like this to work out of the box, as it removes an obstacle for migration.