Whmcs Migration

CCWHUK2

Question

Hello all,

First post...be gentle  :D

We have FINALLY decided that WHMCS should be ditched.  We would like to migrate to Blesta as long as it offers a near like-for-like replacement....which is where this thread comes in  ;)

I can see a good number of threads about migration and what modules can be ported, but I thought I would kick off a specific thread for our potential migration so I can gather as much information as possible in one place, specific to us....selfish I know!

So, here comes the questions....

1) We current have WHMCS 5.3.12 (latest build) - Is there a known good migration path to Blesta 3.4?

2) As part of the migration, will Clients / Products / Domains / KB articles / Support Config all be integrated into Blesta?  If not, what manual work is required?

3) Our main Payment Gateway is WorldPay - Is there any plans to add this gateway module as I cannot see one as of yet?

4) We use WebsitePanel on our Windows Servers - Has this been used with Blesta before?  Is there a module for account creation?

I think that's about it for now!

I am hoping to start the planning depending on the amount of work and complications found.

Many thanks

17 answers to this question

Hello,

Welcome to the Blesta community :blesta:

1) We current have WHMCS 5.3.12 (latest build) - Is there a known good migration path to Blesta 3.4?

Shouldn't be any issues unless WHMCS want to change their internal stuff like how they decrypt passwords, haha they did that last time so you need to change the configuration to import the client passwords, you can follow the documentation here: http://docs.blesta.com/display/user/WHMCS+5.2 the new whmcs-md5 is the new way to import.

2) As part of the migration, will Clients / Products / Domains / KB articles / Support Config all be integrated into Blesta?  If not, what manual work is required?

Clients - Yes
Products - Yes (To modules included in Blesta, if not then they will be in a universal product [No module])
Domains - Yes (To modules included in Blesta, if not then they will be in a universal product [No module])
KB articles - No (These aren't imported yet)
Support Config - Yes (Tickets, etc will be imported)

3) Our main Payment Gateway is WorldPay - Is there any plans to add this gateway module as I cannot see one as of yet?

I can't recall it being in the feature requests, but if you post one I'm sure the guys will look into it for you, the more that support the gateway in the thread the faster it will go up the chain on the to-do list.

There's no record on the Public side: http://dev.blesta.com/issues/?jql=text%20~%20%22WorldPay%22 Blesta might however have in a private CORE- so they'll be able to help more :).

4) We use WebsitePanel on our Windows Servers - Has this been used with Blesta before?  Is there a module for account creation?

Here's a feature request for that I'd recommend you +1 it: http://www.blesta.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1637-websitepanel-module/?hl=websitepanel

Thanks for the reply and info.  Really appreciated.

Can you confirm what you mean with:

(To modules included in Blesta, if not then they will be in a universal product [No module])

The lack of KB import might well be a deal breaker as it would be a crazy amount of work as we have a lot of KBs for clients.  The WebsitePanel is also a real issue.  I will add my support to the link mentioned.  Thanks.

So, just to understand it better, when the import from WHMCS takes place, we would still need to complete the full configuration of Blesta but would have the products/domains/clients ready to go?

Thanks for the reply and info.  Really appreciated.

Can you confirm what you mean with:

The lack of KB import might well be a deal breaker as it would be a crazy amount of work as we have a lot of KBs for clients.  The WebsitePanel is also a real issue.  I will add my support to the link mentioned.  Thanks.

So, just to understand it better, when the import from WHMCS takes place, we would still need to complete the full configuration of Blesta but would have the products/domains/clients ready to go?

It depends really, the guys might upgrade the importer to include the KB, or if you could include the table structure I could have a look and see if I can do the page.

If they do it and there's a WebsitePanel Module your import will be fine and you won't need to do anything but if there missing bits they will be made into universal module products (the non module module if you get me), and the KB won't be imported at all if there's no script for it to help

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification.

So, if we imported right now any current products that had say WebsitePanel allocated as the module would end up in either the unknown module or not be brought it at all?  We use ENOM so the domains would have a receiving module.

What info would be needed for the KB tables?  Just a list of the table names or any contents too?  I think it will be an issue as the KBs are partly stored within the db and partly in files so we would have to make sure the paths were the same or manually change them.

If we can get WebsitePanel and WorldPay sorted I would be happy to get the go ahead for the migration.  KBs are work but not the end of the world, especailly with what we are dealing with at present.  Blesta will hopefully be a fresh and needed change!

If you import products using WebsitePanel, they will be imported using the Universal Module, and will continue to be billed normally. Blesta just wouldn't be able to auto provision new orders, or provide any management features.

You should do a test import. We're continually improving/adjusting/refining the importer, it works great for a lot of people, but some people have issues, it all depends on what your data looks like and how you are using it. Updating it to import KB articles probably wouldn't be terribly difficult, so if that's the only hang up then we're happy to work with you to add that functionality and you can help us test it.

You found the thread on WebsitePanel, I wonder if ModulesBakery still has plans for it. WorldPay is part of CORE-149 (I just made it public), not a ton of requests for it, but we might be able to help get this one built.

What info would be needed for the KB tables?  Just a list of the table names or any contents too?  I think it will be an issue as the KBs are partly stored within the db and partly in files so we would have to make sure the paths were the same or manually change them.

The structure of the table and if you could do a preview of one of the articles in the database would help too :P

Thanks, especially for WorldPay.... I do hope it gets enough attention. We have both modules in our current setup and the thought of having to go through the work of using a new merchant for online only wouldn't be great... Doable though.

If we can get WSP module somewhere that would make a world of difference. It is great though that the billing would continue, however any cancellations or suspensions would need to be looked out for just on case.

I'm planning on installing a test Blesta setup tomorrow and then try an import after getting my head around the administration.

Thanks for the replies so far, it's really appreciated... And adds to what I have heard already about buying into Blesta :-)

You found the thread on WebsitePanel, I wonder if ModulesBakery still has plans for it. WorldPay is part of CORE-149 (I just made it public), not a ton of requests for it, but we might be able to help get this one built.

Our release plan :)

https://mbaccounts.thebakeryoven.com/plugin/announcements/client_main/view/9/

Beauty!  Cheers.  Just emailed you a few screenshots  :blesta:   <---loving that

Haha you're welcome I sort of thought it was easy but by the time I did this:

<?php
Configure::set("knowledgebase.map", array(
	'module' => "knowledgebase",
	'module_row_key' => "id",
	'module_row_meta' => array(
		(object)array('key' => "server_name", 'value' => (object)array('module' => "hostname"), 'serialized' => 0, 'encrypted' => 0),	
	),
	'support_kb_articles' => array(
		'domain' => (object)array('key' => "id", 'serialized' => 0, 'encrypted' => 0),
		'domain' => (object)array('key' => "company_id", 'serialized' => 0, 'encrypted' => 0),
		'domain' => (object)array('key' => "access", 'serialized' => 0, 'encrypted' => 0),
		'domain' => (object)array('key' => "up_votes", 'serialized' => 0, 'encrypted' => 0),
		'domain' => (object)array('key' => "down_votes", 'serialized' => 0, 'encrypted' => 0),
		'domain' => (object)array('key' => "date_created", 'serialized' => 0, 'encrypted' => 0),
		'domain' => (object)array('key' => "date_updated", 'serialized' => 0, 'encrypted' => 0)
	)
	'support_kb_article_categories' => array(
		'domain' => (object)array('key' => "category_id", 'serialized' => 0, 'encrypted' => 0),
		'domain' => (object)array('key' => "article_id", 'serialized' => 0, 'encrypted' => 0),
	)
	'support_kb_article_content' => array(
		'domain' => (object)array('key' => "article_id", 'serialized' => 0, 'encrypted' => 0),
		'domain' => (object)array('key' => "lang", 'serialized' => 0, 'encrypted' => 0),
		'domain' => (object)array('key' => "title", 'serialized' => 0, 'encrypted' => 0),
		'domain' => (object)array('key' => "body", 'serialized' => 0, 'encrypted' => 0),
		'domain' => (object)array('key' => "content_type", 'serialized' => 0, 'encrypted' => 0),
	)
	'support_kb_categories' => array(
		'domain' => (object)array('key' => "id", 'serialized' => 0, 'encrypted' => 0),
		'domain' => (object)array('key' => "parent_id", 'serialized' => 0, 'encrypted' => 0),
		'domain' => (object)array('key' => "company_id", 'serialized' => 0, 'encrypted' => 0),
		'domain' => (object)array('key' => "name", 'serialized' => 0, 'encrypted' => 0),
		'domain' => (object)array('key' => "description", 'serialized' => 0, 'encrypted' => 0),
		'domain' => (object)array('key' => "access", 'serialized' => 0, 'encrypted' => 0),
		'domain' => (object)array('key' => "date_created", 'serialized' => 0, 'encrypted' => 0),
		'domain' => (object)array('key' => "date_updated", 'serialized' => 0, 'encrypted' => 0),
	)
));
?>

I found out that I was doing it wrong and I have to make a whmcs_knowledgebase.php in the modules folder not config folder. And that looks harder :S as it uses get and then splits the table into something lol sorry :(

Thanks for trying Mike. Really appreciated. I might have to do it manually at some point.

We might have to hold fire with the migration until we have at least the WebsitePanel module in Blesta and most likely the WorldPay Gateway too. The cost of changing to a different gateway is prohibitive and we really can't change WebsitePanel at this stage.

I'll still be testing and getting used to the system though and in the meantime hope to get the modules ready. The old system we have has got to the point of me not wanting to even speak with its vendor so something must happen lol

Thanks for trying Mike. Really appreciated. I might have to do it manually at some point.

We might have to hold fire with the migration until we have at least the WebsitePanel module in Blesta and most likely the WorldPay Gateway too. The cost of changing to a different gateway is prohibitive and we really can't change WebsitePanel at this stage.

I'll still be testing and getting used to the system though and in the meantime hope to get the modules ready. The old system we have has got to the point of me not wanting to even speak with its vendor so something must happen lol

You're welcome mate, sorry but I'm not that good at coding haha I can only edit stuff and copy and that was a bit confusing :P