Sad State Of Domain Management And Blesta

eXtremeSHOK

Lets face the fact Blesta's domain management is TOTAL CRAP.. WHMCS and Clientexec do it way better in every way.

Blesta does NOT have a proper domain offering, period. seems to be that its just not a priority.

Domains are totally unique to generic products and should be treaded as such.

For webhosters, domains are part of hosting, the most important part.

The enom module for Blesta is 10 years behind that of WHMCS..currently we have the bare minimal basics.

What if one wants to only sell a domain ? Does not appear blesta support domain only products.

Domain Transfers ?

Renew pricing ? Allot of domain renewals cost more than the initial registration fee

Name spinning ?

Importing and sync of prices from enom & namecheap ?

Importing and sync of TLD's and new TLD's from enom & namecheap ?

What about .co.uk that requires a 90day before expire renew ?

Direct managment of the domain hosted on the registrars nameserver ?

Proper whois lookup or usage of dig to check if non api domains are registered/available ?

A domain email module, where domain orders are emailed, still does whois checking for availability. Some tld's are still stuck in 1970.

Domain availability widget ?

^^ BLESTA FAILS FOR ALL OF THE ABOVE

---

I challenge Blesta to make a billing brawl using domain management and include enom's module...

btw if you want a reseller enom account, or access to the enom api sandbox , contact me and ill sort you out with an account.

Hello extreShok :blesta:

I tottaly support you, unfortunately :)

But we are here to help improve things ;)

I have implemented a lot of new features, and have created some new Registrar Modules, you can check my signature the download and history

I also have implemented a quick way to implement diferent prices for diferent types (Register/Transfer/Renew) and my InternetBS alredy support Email Fowarding and DNS managmente.

For the "namespin" its a must, and is not hard to implement ;)

If you need any help for enom, implementing some new feature I will do it gladly for free for all blestars ;)

P.S- I really think Blesta 3.6 (maybe they will change to Blesta 4.0) will bring the new Domain System and also they will fix all issues with EU Invoicing :)

Love blesta, they will rule Hosting/Domain/Services market ;)

I agree with the report,

because domain management is missing that's makes blesta a 3 wheel car,

so it's mean it's even not a car, but will  become when being a 4 wheel car.

Domains are more specific than any services and because it's MUST be considered as a CORE feature, so the current service_fields table at database can not satisfy the domain management and a domain_fields table should be added at database in place of asking x registrar modules to create their own fields to manage domain, because domain management need standardization for the whole Blesta.

from my opinion in the blesta forum there are 2 groups ;

first Group , is satisfied with blesta and need more plugins like mass mailer and affiliate system and ...ect , the most of them not selling domains and hosting .

second group , is dreaming with the refacor of domain management and better implementation of order form of hosting , all them are a hosting proviers .

blesta team, maybe are divided with them , what is priority and wich can alive without what they request ?

blesta team is hearing more from who can sponsor the next feature , v3.5 was a lot of features in term of solusvm and configurable options , all this features was sponsored , and i see the v 4.0.0 has a new raod of EU law with sponsored features also .

my suggestion for blesta team , shouldn't always listen to sponsored features , because some task are from v3.0.0 and not yet implemented , and if blesta will add only features that are sponsored , because other has been payed for the licence in hope of blesta can correct add what he promise in thier tasks .

so i will vote for the domain management . is priority thatn any other task , even if EU law support .

from my opinion in the blesta forum there are 2 groups ;

first Group , is satisfied with blesta and need more plugins like mass mailer and affiliate system and ...ect , the most of them not selling domains and hosting .

second group , is dreaming with the refacor of domain management and better implementation of order form of hosting , all them are a hosting proviers .

blesta team, maybe are divided with them , what is priority and wich can alive without what they request ?

blesta team is hearing more from who can sponsor the next feature , v3.5 was a lot of features in term of solusvm and configurable options , all this features was sponsored , and i see the v 4.0.0 has a new raod of EU law with sponsored features also .

my suggestion for blesta team , shouldn't always listen to sponsored features , because some task are from v3.0.0 and not yet implemented , and if blesta will add only features that are sponsored , because other has been payed for the licence in hope of blesta can correct add what he promise in thier tasks .

so i will vote for the domain management . is priority thatn any other task , even if EU law support .

i agree with you in this . personally i can't switch to v3 until now just for 3 reason

-Domain Management

-Multilanguages

-Hosting Order Form

i know v3 is better than v2.5 , but i can't move from system that i have adapted it to my use (v2.5) , to a new one than i need wait fix's or spend mounth for adding and customizing . time is matter here .

Yeah, domain management appears to have a few things missing. My big wish is for a DNS manager for cPanel DNSonly so that clients can use our nameservers and manage their domains how they wish.

That Goes for me as well, currently I have to send every user who needs DNS access logins to Logicboxes. I'm about to hire a Developer (From this forum as well) ; we are still discussing on the module currently.

I don't think Blesta will be doing cPanel DNS only module any time soon. May be we can make one our selves

the probleme is not cPanel DNS only module . the probleme is how you integrate the module with other module like logicbox ?

cPanel DNS module is not a complicated task , the complicated is how to make two module manage 1 service .

the probleme is not cPanel DNS only module . the probleme is how you integrate the module with other module like logicbox ?

cPanel DNS module is not a complicated task , the complicated is how to make two module manage 1 service .

:( Now that's bad news... I hope we hear from Blesta regarding this.

CORE-818 and CORE-819 address the domain management plugin (These Epics are currently private). We are working out the details internally, and considering everything everyone has had to say regarding domains. It's likely that we will open these tasks up and start a discussion in the near future.

These features will be dependent on 4.0 however, which we want to get out relatively quickly. There are a lot of major benefits to developers in 4.0, in part because of the PHP dependency change to PHP 5.4, namespaces, and more. Domain management won't be in 4.0, but we are continuing to make progress in designing the feature, and implementing some other core changes so that it will be easier to implement. (For example, plugins will be able to control package pricing. This allows for the domain plugin to set pricing for domains (Think pricing grid for new/renew/transfer, 1-10 years). It's a powerful feature that could be used by other plugins for a variety of purposes.)

CORE-818 and CORE-819 address the domain management plugin (These Epics are currently private). We are working out the details internally, and considering everything everyone has had to say regarding domains. It's likely that we will open these tasks up and start a discussion in the near future.

These features will be dependent on 4.0 however, which we want to get out relatively quickly. There are a lot of major benefits to developers in 4.0, in part because of the PHP dependency change to PHP 5.4, namespaces, and more. Domain management won't be in 4.0, but we are continuing to make progress in designing the feature, and implementing some other core changes so that it will be easier to implement. (For example, plugins will be able to control package pricing. This allows for the domain plugin to set pricing for domains (Think pricing grid for new/renew/transfer, 1-10 years). It's a powerful feature that could be used by other plugins for a variety of purposes.)

This is a good news , i was sure blesta devs are talking about this internally , because if blesta will not care , that's a bad practice .

to be more exact , i have already tried to code a domain manager module with my own architectures ;) , i have found alot of ideas to implement it , and i was stopped becasue some core limitation of blesta .

but in general , how i have tough how it should work it was genial idea (that what i feel ) and i'm ready to share it with you guys , maybe it can help in some aspect . when you are gays open to hear and discuss how the new domain manager should work i will happy to share my ideas .

best regards

This is a good news , i was sure blesta devs are talking about this internally , because if blesta will not care , that's a bad practice .

to be more exact , i have already tried to code a domain manager module with my own architectures ;) , i have found alot of ideas to implement it , and i was stopped becasue some core limitation of blesta .

but in general , how i have tough how it should work it was genial idea (that what i feel ) and i'm ready to share it with you guys , maybe it can help in some aspect . when you are gays open to hear and discuss how the new domain manager should work i will happy to share my ideas .

best regards

We would definitely be interested in your ideas. Maybe a new thread for that?  :blesta:

Today I started developing our custom code for Blesta, because we're coming from WHMCS where we created much custom code for. Now, I see this "bad" (when I compare it to WHMCS) domain management, I can't continue to switch to Blesta because of this.  :( 

I hope a better domain management will being implemented in the near future. I don't think you'll need to do this per module, which will get very messy over time (all different way's of handling things).

My ideas for the domain management, which you may consider while implementing this:

- Centralized WHOIS information over multiple registries, with ability to "override" this for a specific domain by the customer.

- Centralized nameservers over multiple registries, with ability to "override" this for a specific domain by the customer.

- Proper transfer handling (including a cron).

- TLD syncing with automated price updates

- WHOIS through the preferred registry for a TLD

- Some TLD's have different requirements (e.g. a domain needs to be renewed x days before expiry).

Thanks! 

I would like to see this fixed as well so that I could switch over.  I paid for my license a couple of years ago and still haven't been able to make the move.  I don't know how to develop this but I could certainly test and provide feedback.

I would like to see this fixed as well so that I could switch over.  I paid for my license a couple of years ago and still haven't been able to make the move.  I don't know how to develop this but I could certainly test and provide feedback.

I'm on the same boat. I've been pushing for the change to happen for 2 years and it's always been pushed back. I wasn't even disappointed that nothing had made it into 3.5, because I stopped waiting. Domain management is bad and makes us look bad, but it's what we have and we just have to do more work behind the scenes to help advanced customers.

There are plenty of examples out there of what we need -> every big domain selling platforms which welcomes us as resellers (Enom, Logicboxes, OpenSRS, etc.. The only difference is that we're at one level above, pushing commands to different providers, depending on who we want to use to manage a specific extension.

• 3 weeks later...

This are all great thoughts. One thing that you need to keep in mind is how to migrate the "domain packages" created and services associated with them to the new domain management framework.

There are a number of us who are developing within the current framework which is not great to say the least.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup : it's true. 

It's hard to manage domains, and customers are all completely lost in the product list, should they have more than (let's say) 10 domains / services.

It's all mixed together, and hard to separate domains and the other products using the existing functions.

Also, the industry require different pricing for registration, renewal and transfer.  I understand we can use a coupon code, but what if we want our regular price to be lower at registration?

It must allow us to invoice the way we want :)

...and ICANN require us to display a list of our current tld pricing.  Why this list doesn't show up in Blesta, in order to help us to comply with the ICANN terms and conditions?

I think ICANN policies should be followed the same as you would follow security best practices while programming : we can't live without. :)

• 4 months later...

Any update to the sad state of Blesta domain management? It would be a good idea to have this mess sorted out in early 2016 otherwise I will be forced to bail out of this solution.

They've stated that 4.1 is dedicated to the domain manager update... They can't make it any faster as 4.0 isn't out and they have over 30+ tasks to do on that before they can waste a whole version on modifying and changing the way domains work. I say wasting as people having been selling domains fine with Blesta since 3.0 so if they can I'm sure others can... Yes the domain manager needs improving and it's being improved in 4.1 but again if they can sell domains I don't see why there's a big fuss about it.

They've stated that 4.1 is dedicated to the domain manager update... They can't make it any faster as 4.0 isn't out and they have over 30+ tasks to do on that before they can waste a whole version on modifying and changing the way domains work. I say wasting as people having been selling domains fine with Blesta since 3.0 so if they can I'm sure others can... Yes the domain manager needs improving and it's being improved in 4.1 but again if they can sell domains I don't see why there's a big fuss about it.

I think the fuss is more about dealing with transfers and renewals and then with the different pricing levels which I believe will be taken care of in 4.1. Selling a brand new domain is not a pain right now.