Paypal Subscription / Coupon Bug

Rob T

I've noticed a bug that occurs when a customer places an order using a coupon and Paypal subscription for payment.

We have a coupon code that applies for the first year of service only, leaving subsequent years to be billed at the normal rate for that service.  When the customer pays using a non-subscription paypal payment, the proper invoice amount is shown when the customer is forwarded to paypal.  When they choose payment via paypal subscription, when they are forwarded to paypal, the total shown to establish the subscription is the full amount, rather than the discounted amount.  If the customer proceeds with setting up the subscription, the difference is credited to the customer's account as a credit, but that's not the proper behavior.

What should be happening is that paypal should be instructed to create a subscription with payment of X for the first year, followed by Y each following year.  Paypal certainly has the ability to create subscriptions in this manner, as other billing platforms we use handle this situation quite commonly.

We have a coupon code that applies for the first year of service only, leaving subsequent years to be billed at the normal rate for that service. ... When they choose payment via paypal subscription, when they are forwarded to paypal, the total shown to establish the subscription is the full amount, rather than the discounted amount.

I'm unclear on the behavior you're experiencing as the above statements appear contradictory. Could you clarify, perhaps with an example? It would also be useful to have additional information as described in How to Report a Bug, such as the version of Blesta and the PayPal Payments Standard gateway you're using.

I took the liberty of testing the gateway just a moment ago on v3.6.1 via an order form and this is the behavior I experienced:

• I Ordered a $1.00 monthly service
  • I applied a 50% coupon to the service
  • I checked out with PayPal Payments Standard
  • PayPal tells me the cost is an initial $0.50 with a monthly subscription of $1.00/month

Note that my 50% off coupon is configured with the option Apply when a service is added only selected. This option only applies the coupon to the new service on creation rather than to the recurring amount, so the $0.50 initial cost and $1.00/month subscription would be expected.

If the coupon is configured with the option Apply when a service is added or renews, then following the same steps I outlined above, PayPal says the cost is an initial $0.50 with a monthly subscription of $0.50/month because the coupon also applies when the service renews.

Is your coupon configured for the desired behavior?

Hello,

My apologies for omitting the important info. That's what I get for submitting bug reports at 2AM.

Blesta Version - 3.6.0

Paypal Payments Standard Version - 1.2.2

Step by step:

Create coupon configured with option Apply when a service is added only

Place order with coupon (in our case, the service cost is $18/yr, which after a 30% coupon for the first year should be $12.60/yr)

Select Paypal Subscription as payment option

When forwarded to Paypal, subscription is pre-populated with $18/yr rather than $12.60 for the first year and $18 per year thereafter

post-11676-0-97415100-1448484555_thumb.p

post-11676-0-48597900-1448484562_thumb.p

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Licensecart, I noticed your video example illustrates a prorated payment. Do you also experience this bug when ordering a non-prorated service, like my example above?

Not been able to try it mate I'll get Callum to try it now since he's installation is non testing :).

Doesn't work on the non pro-rota either: http://screencast.com/t/zvBi1iSAn

Something else seems off about that test. It showed a $5 discount until you got to the page where you choose a payment method (at 2:00 in the video) where it showed a $10 subtotal with no discount anymore. If the discount wasn't actually applied, then it would follow that PayPal (or any other gateway) would still think it's $10/month including the initial payment.

Are you using the latest version of Blesta?

Something else seems off about that test. It showed a $5 discount until you got to the page where you choose a payment method (at 2:00 in the video) where it showed a $10 subtotal with no discount anymore. If the discount wasn't actually applied, then it would follow that PayPal (or any other gateway) would still think it's $10/month including the initial payment.

Are you using the latest version of Blesta?

We are mate :) 3.6.1 and no upgrade button on PayPal.