Proxmox Module: Vps Credentials On Information Tab

cya

Hello devs,

I recently provisioned client's VPS using the default Proxmox module, however my client can't find his VPS IP address. I need a small modification of the module so there is an IP address of the VPS on the information tab (client side) and maybe SSH login details? I can't find them either.

It is confusing without the information and the client thinks the VPS is not provisioned because of no essential information.

Hello devs,

I recently provisioned client's VPS using the default Proxmox module, however my client can't find his VPS IP address. I need a small modification of the module so there is an IP address of the VPS on the information tab (client side) and maybe SSH login details? I can't find them either.

It is confusing without the information and the client thinks the VPS is not provisioned because of no essential information.

normally the data should be sent via email ..

you as admin can view the info from the admin side i think .

The data isn't sent via email. I checked this.
I don't need the info, my client does :) And i also verified that i can't view the information from admin area, i get the same options as the client.

I only need small modification so there is an IP address of the VPS on the client's VPS information tab.
And maybe SSH login details in the console tab, the SSH details are missing. Edit: or option to change the root password (without reinstall) would be better.

You should be able to find the IP address by clicking on the service table row. As an admin, go to the client's profile page. In the Services widget is the list of services. Click on the table row (not the links) for that service. A section will appear below it that shows you the username and IP address. The same can be done in the client interface.

I'm not sure if SSH credentials are available via the API for them to be displayed in the UI, but if so, the module would need to be updated to fetch them. Currently, only the VNC console information is fetched for the console page.

For the email that the client receives, you'll need to set tags in your package welcome email template in order for them to be included with the Service Creation email. These are the tags with a brief description:

{service.proxmox_vserver_id} - VM ID
{service.proxmox_hostname} - The hostname
{service.proxmox_node} - The node ID the VM is on
{service.proxmox_type} - VM type [openvz, qemu (KVM)]
{service.proxmox_username} - Account username
{service.proxmox_password} - Account password
{service.proxmox_cpu} - Number of CPUs
{service.proxmox_memory} - RAM in megabytes
{service.proxmox_hdd} - Storage in gigabytes
{service.proxmox_netspeed} - Network speed in megabytes per second
{module.host} - Proxmox server hostname
{module.port} - Proxmox server port

If you want the ip address to be available to the welcome email, you'll need to update the module.

Open /components/modules/proxmox/proxmox.php and find this line:

'service' => array("proxmox_vserver_id", "proxmox_hostname",

Update that line to:

'service' => array("proxmox_vserver_id", "proxmox_hostname", "proxmox_ip",

Once that is updated, this tag will also be available to the welcome email template:

{service.proxmox_ip} - The IP address

Okay thanks, but the problem was that the email was not sent even though the package welcome email was set. The client only got "New Service Activated" email. Under tools/logs/email/ there is no welcome email log for the delivered VPS.

About the IP address ,I think it should be displayed at client/services/manage too because it is hard to spot (from client point of view) on the dashboard. I got lots of tickets about this.

I also found that VNC is not ideal solution. Root password change option would be great, is it possible via the API (without reinstalling the OS template)?

Okay thanks, but the problem was that the email was not sent even though the package welcome email was set. The client only got "New Service Activated" email. Under tools/logs/email/ there is no welcome email log for the delivered VPS.

The content you set in the Package Welcome Email needs to also be set in the Service Creation email template. Under [settings] -> [Emails], edit the 'Service Creation' template.

Make sure that the HTML version of this template uses this tag:

{package.email_html}

That adds the HTML version of your package Welcome Email into the template.

Similarly, the Text version should be set in the Text tab:

{package.email_text}

When a service is created, the client will receive this email, which will also include your package welcome email content in place of those tags.

About the IP address ,I think it should be displayed at client/services/manage too because it is hard to spot (from client point of view) on the dashboard. I got lots of tickets about this.

The service information page only lists common information. Information specific to the service module itself (like the IP address) can either appear on the service row as I mentioned above, or in a tab created by the module (like the Console tab).

I also found that VNC is not ideal solution. Root password change option would be great, is it possible via the API (without reinstalling the OS template)?

The root password is the user's password, correct? The user's password could be updated via the API. I'm not aware of whether Proxmox will require a reinstall because of it. You might try testing this by changing a user's password manually and restarting the server.

The content you set in the Package Welcome Email needs to also be set in the Service Creation email template. Under [settings] -> [Emails], edit the 'Service Creation' template.

Make sure that the HTML version of this template uses this tag:

{package.email_html} was already set. The client got "Your service has been approved and activated. Please keep this email for your records." message only.

The service information page only lists common information. Information specific to the service module itself (like the IP address) can either appear on the service row as I mentioned above, or in a tab created by the module (like the Console tab).

Right, only on the service row. The console tab only contains the node hostname.. there is no VPS IP in the console tab. But it would be great if it was there.

The root password is the user's password, correct? The user's password could be updated via the API. I'm not aware of whether Proxmox will require a reinstall because of it. You might try testing this by changing a user's password manually and restarting the server.

Nope, the root password is not user's password. The user's password is the Proxmox user password (vmuserXX). The client needs the password for the user 'root' of the VPS itself. There is option to set the root password when the client installs the OS of the VPS, but there is no option to change it without reinstalling the OS. It would be great to have that option in the 'server actions' tab, so the user can change the root password easily.

Only html was set. -_-
I updated the text field and we'll see what happens on the next provisioning.

However the argument still stands, that this module is not user friendly at all (but it is admin friendly). I love the job you've done so far with the module, but the user should be able to change the root password easily (without reinstall) and it should see the IP easily. The console tab does not contain the VPS IP address. And the service row is not good place either, it is just hidden from customers.

I'm saying it doesn't lack features, but it is lacking friendliness from customer point of view.

Only html was set. -_-

I updated the text field and we'll see what happens on the next provisioning.

However the argument still stands, that this module is not user friendly at all (but it is admin friendly). I love the job you've done so far with the module, but the user should be able to change the root password easily (without reinstall) and it should see the IP easily. The console tab does not contain the VPS IP address. And the service row is not good place either, it is just hidden from customers.

I'm saying it doesn't lack features, but it is lacking friendliness from customer point of view.

Never used Proxmox but when you reset a password some virtualizations require a reboot.

• 2 weeks later...