Blesta 4.0.0

Abdulaziz

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Licensecart said:

He'll still ask next week or so :)

And he'd be right to :)

A lot of us are in no man's land when it comes to Blesta. Developers aren't sure everything is going to work. Those of us who paid for custom work aren't sure what we just paid for will actually work when 4.0 hits. Many of us are waiting on features beyond 4.0, which means the longer this release is delayed, the longer the next one is too. And in some cases, adds considerable expense in additional custom development. 

And it's been delayed a long time. A very long time by most software standards. I posted about my thoughts on this in another thread, how Blesta should be able to pivot faster, and do quick releases of smaller features instead of building out one giant package and releasing it with the bang of a wet noodle. 

One competitor actually gained market share with this kind of strategy, although he blew it by being completely crazy and unreliable. Browsers like Chrome are at what, version 58 now or something? Quick releases, quick updates are key now. They don't need massive killer features in each release, just small ones that accumulate over time, and while that happens you work on 1-2 larger features that you want to make a splash on.  

Some releases could contain a new module for example. Or improving existing modules. Say there's demand for X module, you pivot and build it. Split the resources you have accordingly. 

My 2 canadian cents. 

20 minutes ago, AnthonyL said:

A lot of us are in no man's land when it comes to Blesta. Developers aren't sure everything is going to work. Those of us who paid for custom work aren't sure what we just paid for will actually work when 4.0 hits. Many of us are waiting on features beyond 4.0, which means the longer this release is delayed, the longer the next one is too. And in some cases, adds considerable expense in additional custom development. 

And it's been delayed a long time. A very long time by most software standards. I posted about my thoughts on this in another thread, how Blesta should be able to pivot faster, and do quick releases of smaller features instead of building out one giant package and releasing it with the bang of a wet noodle. 

One competitor actually gained market share with this kind of strategy, although he blew it by being completely crazy and unreliable. Browsers like Chrome are at what, version 58 now or something? Quick releases, quick updates are key now. They don't need massive killer features in each release, just small ones that accumulate over time, and while that happens you work on 1-2 larger features that you want to make a splash on.  

Some releases could contain a new module for example. Or improving existing modules. Say there's demand for X module, you pivot and build it. Split the resources you have accordingly. 

My 2 canadian cents. 

All modules and plugins will work on 4.0 the UI will be different however the buttons will be the 3.0 style buttons and not the 4.0 style buttons. You can find the updates on 4.0 here: http://dev.blesta.com/projects/CORE/versions/10603 it's in plain sight so you can see what's being worked on and how many tasks are left. The main ones are in progress with Tyson and when they are complete then a Beta will be created (As stated on another thread that guy keeps pestering with for updates). No-one uses Chrome anymore so.... Chrome is power hungry and slow which is why Firefox and IE 9 or whatever the new one is picking up. People on Mac's have gone Safari since they now have pinned tabs, mutable tabs, etc.

18 minutes ago, AnthonyL said:

My 2 canadian cents. 

Thank you for your canadian cents, lol. They end up in our vending machines.

No really, appreciate the feedback. Smaller quicker releases is our goal. v4.0 is turning out to be our biggest release since 3.0. Much of it was unavoidable with the framework upgrade. So, hoping to avoid that going forward.

In terms of custom code, modules/plugins/gateways, with few exceptions, they should work. One change that you will probably want to make, is to update the buttons to use bootstrap buttons. However, that is largely cosmetic. We built a bridge for backwards compatibility with minPHP 1.0. Still, any custom extensions should be tested prior to an upgrade. Feedback during the beta will be helpful as well.

7 hours ago, AnthonyL said:

My 2 canadian cents. 

I vote for your 2 cents . For any oposite vision i will use VITO vote .