Awbs

utropicmedia

Question

19 answers to this question

We are using AWBS for the last 10 years.  It's a rock solid billing system.  One of the originals, way before WHMCS.

The reason you don't hear much about it is because:

1. It rarely breaks.  New releases are usually bug free.

2. The owner never promoted it.  I don't think the owner even knows about webhostingtalk.com.

3. It hasn't been in active development for over a year.

This last point is important, since now that it seems AWBS development is dead... there are many AWBS users who must change (reluctantly) to a new software.  The options are small -- whmcs or blesta.

I think that if you posted a AWBS to Blesta migration path somewhere, you would find a lot of refugees ready to switch over.  I'd be happy to post into the AWBS forums, to bring it to other user's attention. Their forums are rarely moderated, so the post would not likely be deleted. 

So... +1 from me. I would love to see a migration path from AWBS to Blesta.  

Thanks!

I think that if you posted a AWBS to Blesta migration path somewhere, you would find a lot of refugees ready to switch over.  I'd be happy to post into the AWBS forums, to bring it to other user's attention. Their forums are rarely moderated, so the post would not likely be deleted. 

I thought this was funny.

Is there much participation any longer on their forums? Is it possible any longer to get an AWBS license key? We would want to install a copy so that we can build an importer.

Is there much participation any longer on their forums?

No, their forums are basically dead, aside from the periodic "Where is everyone?  When is the next release going to be?" topic, with no response from the company.  It's a real shame, since the software is really stable, tons and tons of features, and their support is fast and actually very helpful.  I'm actually very happy and content with it... but it just seems like development has stopped.  I've been trying to get the owner/developers to say something for over 6 months now, and there has been zero response.  Not even a simple, "Yes, we're still around" reply. Nothing.

So that's why we're considering to switch over to Blesta, since it would be foolish to risk my business in the hands of a company that seems to have basically disappeared.  (What if there's a security hack or license problem. etc?)   We were part of the Blesta beta testing, and found it very good.  The production release looks great, albeit not quite ready for us to move over to yet as there's still a few missing critical features we need before we can switch without disrupting our customers too much.  ;-) 

Is it possible any longer to get an AWBS license key? We would want to install a copy so that we can build an importer.

I don't have any extra keys, but I can give you access to a copy of one of our AWBS installations (we have multiple brands and installations) which will give you a working install so you can take a look.  Please send me an email and I'll get one of my guys to set it up for you and send you the login details.  :)

Thanks!

If want I can provide AWBS keys also take their domain management option.Its still one of best.

I thought this was funny.

Is there much participation any longer on their forums? Is it possible any longer to get an AWBS license key? We would want to install a copy so that we can build an importer.

Agreed.  Even though AWBS appears to be dead (no new development for the past 1.5 years), it is still very good.  It's reliable (no serious bugs), and the support is still fast and excellent.

Honestly I think AWBS is still better than any of the billing systems available right now.  It has so many features, the domain mgmt. system is better than anything I've seen.  I really can't understand why the owners/developers have not continued development.

But whatever.  We're still using it, and would love to see an import utility for Blesta.  If we are going to switch to anything, it would most likely be Blesta.

(I think there are actually quite a few people still using AWBS.  After all.. why not?  At one time they had a very large user base, and there really hasn't been any reason for all those users to switch to anything else.  The reason the forums are dead are because it's bug-free, stable, software that already has all the features people need. There's little reason to visit the forums and post.)

:)

(I think there are actually quite a few people still using AWBS.  After all.. why not?  At one time they had a very large user base, and there really hasn't been any reason for all those users to switch to anything else.  The reason the forums are dead are because it's bug-free, stable, software that already has all the features people need. There's little reason to visit the forums and post.)

Why not? Because it is not maintained and things move on regardless of how stable it is today :). The core code may be extremely stable / bug free but server software is being updated regularly, API changes are being made by companies out of AWBS's control such as Payza and Skrill, Nominet etc

Sooner or later you will have to move to another system (unless they actually start supporting the project again) so if you're running a business, it might be worth investing into having a migration module built whilst your business is still working.

You could play with a double migration though. AWBS -> WHMCS -> Blesta. I'd be sure to thoroughly test it though as things may get messy / break :P

I also agree AWBS was/is the best Rock Solid Billing Hosting System, much better than WHMCS/Hostbill (in terms of Solid/Stable/Reliable), we also used for many, many years :)

Still isnt any billing system with an Advance Domain Managment system like there is now on AWBS, it does almost averithing.

Its to bad is dead, and it was a mistake from us moving after AWBS to WHMCS, but we have learned from our mistakes :)

We are trying to add every functionality that AWBS has on Domains to Blesta :)

I also agree there maybe lots of clients stil using AWBS

We've been using AWBS continually on a WHM/cPanel system since the early 2000's (2002-3 IIRC) and it's been rock solid and stable throughout that time (it's also tied into ENOM). That said, it does look like its development is slowly fading away, which concerns me a bit as server software and technology will eventually leave it behind if the trend continues. An import tool would make Blesta more of a realistic option for us...so another vote. ;)

I seem to recall going through a really long and difficult comparison of hosting/billing platforms back in those days...just don't have the time for that now, lol. :D

Really shocked at the number of people using AWBS, didn't expect that at all!

We too are looking for AWBS migration solutions with 2 installs running. It's been good to us but time to move on to Blesta!

If you really wanted to get to Blesta quickly you could try AWBS -> WHMCS -> Blesta (or wait for a module). If you do be sure to test it first considering the nature of a billing system and it's importance to your business :).