Invoicing & Applying Payments
Invoices may be created automatically via an order form, or recurring services, or manually by an admin.
Creating an Invoice
- Locate the client you wish to create an invoice for using the search feature, or by browsing the list of clients at [Clients] > [Browse Clients].
- When viewing the client's page, click [Create Invoice] from within the Actions box on the left side of the page, and fill in the details.
- Note that if Multi-Currency is enabled, you may select what currency to create the invoice in and it will only be payable in that currency. Also note that any Notes added to the invoice will not appear on the invoice itself, and are only viewable by admins.
Editing/Removing an Invoice
- Locate the client you wish to edit an invoice for using the search feature, or by browsing the list of clients at [Clients] > [Browse Clients].
- When viewing the client's page, click [Edit] from within the Invoices box on the right side of the page. Here you can edit any details of the invoice, or delete it entirely.
- Note that invoices may only be deleted if no payment has been applied to the invoice, therefore you must first remove the payment. See Modifying a Transaction below.
Applying Payments to an Invoice
- Start by locating the client you want to make a payment for, or by locating the individual invoice, either with the help of the search feature, or searching the list of Clients or Invoices manually.
- If you had searched for the client of the invoice, you should be looking at the client invoice page now, and need to click [Pay] from within the Invoices box on the right.
- Note that if you wish to pay multiple invoices for this client at the same time, you may click [Enter Payment] from within the Actions box on the left. As of v2.1, email receipts may be sent when entering a manual payment.
- Fill in the fields and click [Apply Now].
- Note that any amount less than the amount due on the invoice will be paid as a partial payment, and any amount over the amount due will be accredited to the client's account and automatically applied to any other invoices once the cron runs.
Resending an Invoice
- Find the client of the invoice you want to resend, either with the help of the search feature, or by searching the list of Clients or Invoices manually.
- When viewing the client's details, mark the checkbox next to the invoice you wish to resend from the Invoices box on the right.
- Type in the e-mail address in the field at the bottom of the Invoices box. To send to multiple e-mail addresses, separate each e-mail address with a comma.
- Click [E-mail Selected].
The look of your invoice should be changed after Blesta has been installed. A Photoshop PSD is supplied with your Blesta installation and is located at /templates/default/psd/invoices.psd. You may need to edit the original PNG file, located at /templates/default/images/invoice-pdf.png.
- First navigate to /templates/default/psd/ of your Blesta installation and copy the invoices.psd to a computer with Adobe Photoshop.
- Edit and save the invoice as invoice-pdf.png to /templates/default/images/ of your Blesta installation.
- Additional invoice details can be viewed on the Invoices page.
- As of version 2.1 Blesta supports multi-level taxation. This allows up to two taxes to be applied jointly. The total of the invoice becomes sub total + tax 1 + tax 2.
Enabling Tax in Blesta
- Check the box next to Enable Tax at [Settings] > [Taxes] > [Basic Tax Settings].
- Check the box next to Compound Tax if you will use multiple tax levels (Added in v2.1).
Creating Tax Rules
Tax Rules are necessary in separating taxes between regions. As of v2.1, two tax levels are available. A tax rule saved to Level 2 will only be used if Compound Tax is enabled in [Settings] > [Taxes] > [Basic Tax Settings].
- Tax Rules may be created at [Settings] > [Taxes] > [Tax Rules].
- Fill in the fields and create the tax rule.
- Note that the Sales tax type is the only type that does not display a line item's price with tax included on invoices.
Clients may be individually set to Tax Exempt.
To do this:
- Locate the client you want to make tax exempt by using the search feature, or searching the list of Clients manually.
- Once on the client's profile page, click the [Modify] button at the top left of the Client #xxxx box.
- Under Billing Settings, there is a checkbox for Tax Exempt. Checking this box will enable tax exempt status, and this client will not be charged tax.
- Click Update Client to save.
- TaxID/VATIN may be set/edited at [Settings] > [Taxes] > [Basic Tax Settings].
All payments in Blesta are recorded as transactions. Transactions can be viewed under [Billing] > [Transactions] or from within a client's profile page. As of v2.2, all transactions applied to a given invoice can be viewed by clicking on the invoice row.
Modifying a Transaction
From time to time it may become necessary to modify transactions.
You can do this by clicking Edit on the right of each transaction row, or by clicking an invoice row that has payments applied to it and clicking Edit.
Here you will see all invoices this transaction has been applied to, as well as the amount and the date it was applied. Changing a transaction from Approved to any other state will reverse the payment to any and all invoices the transaction was applied to. If the invoice was previously paid in full it will once again become due.
Removing all transactions from an invoice will allow the invoice to be deleted. See Editing/Removing an Invoice on how to do this.
Order Forms are useful for automatically serving clients with services. Order Form settings can be found through [Settings] > [Order Settings].
- As of v2.2, Order Forms created in Blesta support multiple currencies.
- As of v2.3, Order Forms created in Blesta support custom fields.
Three order forms templates exist:
- Domain Only
- Hosting and Domain
| Key || Usage
| o || Order template ID
| coupon || Coupon Code
| step || Order form step
| term-x || Term value for x package ID (may have multiple)
| ref || Referred by value
| lang || Language to use on this form (ie en-us)
The Print Queue lists all open and printable invoices due to be mailed. The Print Queue can be found through [Billing] > [Print Queue].
Clicking [Generate Invoices] opens all listed invoices in PDF format for printing convenience. Once invoices have been printed, remember to click [Mark as Printed] to remove all invoices from the Print Queue.
Blesta can export four types of invoice-related data in CSV format. Exports have been modified in v2.2 to handle multiple currencies. Developers should see Exports for additional information.
- Transactions Applied: Shows a list of invoices and the amount applied to each invoice.
- Transactions Received: Shows the amount received per invoice per client.
- Tax Liability: Shows the tax amount received per taxable invoice per client.
- Invoice Summary: Shows a basic summary of all invoices.
Exports can be found through [Billing] > [Exports].