Are you closed? banner attention grabber

timnboys

I just made modifications to my structure.pdt on my custom theme on my website to include a big "attention grabber" on whether I am closed or not

CBygNT.jpg

WEOonS.jpg

I designed this after seeing @Licensecart similar approach though I wanted to make sure it is very hard to miss the message so it is specifically made large and very visible(as I wanted to make sure there was no question whether I was closed or not) 

On 7/17/2017 at 5:25 PM, mrrsm said:

Does this mean someone can not place an order on the weekends with you?  I think it makes sense for the ticketing system pages but you may want to exclude it from your ordering pages unless you manually activate purchases.

well they can place orders all they want as that is automated and therefore isn't required for me to be there.

and that banner was basically related to support tickets only kinda like I see @Licensecart has been seen doing.

of course I could have reworded it I guess saying support tickets will not be answered until tomorrow or until monday depending on which condition is there.

I did update the op though to reflect this changes as I did not think about that

CBygNT.jpg

WEOonS.jpg

I did use this: https://www.w3schools.com/w3css/ to display the alerts now though.

I think the banner is a great idea as it actually draws your attention so people see it.  At the same time you don't want to scare away potential customers which may happen if they see that on every page.  As I was writing this I checked your site, the wording is great now and I don't think seeing that wording would hurt to be seen everywhere.  The only other thing that is uninviting is the size of the notice.  It is the most prominent thing on your entire site.  It is larger than your logo.  Do to your site having a blue theme and the notice being in red I think having it just be the size of a normal div with a little added padding may be enough as it still grabs your attention. 

I changed the css on .w3-red to the following as well as changed the h1 to a div to give it a less prominent look.  I am sure you can play with it to have it fit your theme better but that was something quick and dirty to show you what I was thinking.

.w3-red, .w3-hover-red:hover {
    color: #fff!important;
    background-color: #f44336!important;
    padding: 5px;
    margin-bottom: 5px;
}

YAiHZlp.png

20 hours ago, mrrsm said:

I think the banner is a great idea as it actually draws your attention so people see it.  At the same time you don't want to scare away potential customers which may happen if they see that on every page.  As I was writing this I checked your site, the wording is great now and I don't think seeing that wording would hurt to be seen everywhere.  The only other thing that is uninviting is the size of the notice.  It is the most prominent thing on your entire site.  It is larger than your logo.  Do to your site having a blue theme and the notice being in red I think having it just be the size of a normal div with a little added padding may be enough as it still grabs your attention. 

I changed the css on .w3-red to the following as well as changed the h1 to a div to give it a less prominent look.  I am sure you can play with it to have it fit your theme better but that was something quick and dirty to show you what I was thinking.

.w3-red, .w3-hover-red:hover {
    color: #fff!important;
    background-color: #f44336!important;
    padding: 5px;
    margin-bottom: 5px;
}

YAiHZlp.png

Ok thank you I have implemented your changes 

WC74Uh.jpg

^ that should be good correct?

Ks1ZRv.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Paul said:

Personally I recommend against these kinds of notices. Perhaps in the client area, but if it's public it can deter some people.

What if the message read, Sorry we are Closed (This will ONLY effect manual provisons and support times). This would not deter in my opinion but lets businesses without 24/7 support to allow a customer to know instead of them refreshing the ticket / etc every 10 minute to check for updates. What are your thoughts on that?

25 minutes ago, Michael Foland said:

Personally.. There needs to be a thumbs down feature on this forum.. I love what Gosuhost said. It will NOT deter folks.. I think this is freaking brilliant! Heck, lets tell folks we're busy eating at Golden Corral too! They want to know if they will have a manual provision done quickly or not.. same with the support ticket! Bye Felicia!

settle down there killer...

I love how a script with automation would work. Set the times open and closed, and specify if you are closed on a holiday or partial hours.. maybe a lunch break.. and then the automation decides when to show your banner. I only have one suggestion....

Make it sticky to the top so that when scrolling down and looking at services, you are reminded if they're closed or not.

On 7/30/2017 at 3:49 PM, Michael Foland said:

I love how a script with automation would work. Set the times open and closed, and specify if you are closed on a holiday or partial hours.. maybe a lunch break.. and then the automation decides when to show your banner. I only have one suggestion....

Make it sticky to the top so that when scrolling down and looking at services, you are reminded if they're closed or not.

this has been removed along with other notices due to @Paul suggesting that since I have no clue if it is related to my anti fraud module or the notices but I haven't seen any paid orders in a while and will try @Paul suggestion on removing that since it is likely I will just answer the ticket whenever I can anyway :blesta: