When is a Blesta payment gateway merchant or non merchant?

virtualorbis

Recently got installed a non merchant gateway BLESTA plugin so as a result the payment screen looks like this
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6iygf01op4uxzeq/payu-non-merchant.jpg?dl=0
and also forces the customer to chose the payment method from an alternative option like in this picture
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ixm1gbqehkvdg5u/other-payment.png?dl=0

However I know that my payment processor has an API that allows the billing software (BLESTA) communicate directly 
with the payment gateway (and receive the credit card numbers and other information), so I was wondering if the difference
between merchant and non merchant is more a difference based on the software approach than in the company processor features itself,
and if so could I make a merchant payment gateway for my current payment processor?

We break gateways into 2 primary types: Merchant and Non-Merchant

• Merchant: Customer enters credit card or ACH data directly into Blesta, Blesta processes in the background over an API with the processor.
  • Non-Merchant: Blesta sends the customer to the processors website to make payment. The processor notifies Blesta in the background of the payment.

As you can see, it depends where the customer is actually making payment. Within Blesta, or leaving Blesta to pay at the processor's website. If you processor has multiple options, and they do allow credit card numbers to be collected directly and sent over an API to them, then your gateway could probably be implemented as both a Merchant and a Non-Merchant gateway.