Upgrade from 4.0.1 to 4.2 Issues

Jason Ryan

Question

Happy New Year Blesta Community!!

I decided to attempt to upgrade Blesta today since it is the holiday and most wouldn't be logging into their accounts so thought it was a perfect opportunity, however once again I hit a wall trying to upgrade. I uploaded all of the 4.2 files overwriting my existing and realized that it was throwing the common error about IonCube and came to the forum looking for answers only to find that the Hotfix PHP7 files also had to be uploaded (running PHP7), however after doing so and trying to run the upgrader "/admin/upgrade" - it prompted me to do a "clean install" instead of "upgrading" my existing installation!

I am in the process of re-uploading my previous version so I can start over but I am assuming by uploading the new license.php file in the "models" directory overwrites the existing causing it to think that it is a new install? Not sure tbh.

I always dread running these upgrades because something bad always happens and I have to have @Paul hop in and help out. Anyone else experience this same issue and know why it would prompt an "Install" rather then run the "upgrader"?

Thanks

15 answers to this question

Just now, MineHarvest66 said:

I am sorry if I was confusing you, maybe this will help you understand what I meant.  

1. Overwrite with 4.2 

2. Overwrite the hot fix (in your case the 7.0 one) 

3. Run upgrade

Oh ok, thats what I thought and that is the steps I took, but for whatever reason it prompted me to "install" and not upgrade. I have my previous version up and running again and will have to hold off on attempting this for another night that is not New Years :)

Just now, viablethought said:

Oh ok, thats what I thought and that is the steps I took, but for whatever reason it prompted me to "install" and not upgrade. I have my previous version up and running again and will have to hold off on attempting this for another night that is not New Years :)

I am sorry that your still having difficulty with this but I am sure within a couple of hours or so someone who able to help you out with this error will attend to this.  

15 hours ago, viablethought said:

Happy New Year Blesta Community!!

I decided to attempt to upgrade Blesta today since it is the holiday and most wouldn't be logging into their accounts so thought it was a perfect opportunity, however once again I hit a wall trying to upgrade. I uploaded all of the 4.2 files overwriting my existing and realized that it was throwing the common error about IonCube and came to the forum looking for answers only to find that the Hotfix PHP7 files also had to be uploaded (running PHP7), however after doing so and trying to run the upgrader "/admin/upgrade" - it prompted me to do a "clean install" instead of "upgrading" my existing installation!

I am in the process of re-uploading my previous version so I can start over but I am assuming by uploading the new license.php file in the "models" directory overwrites the existing causing it to think that it is a new install? Not sure tbh.

I always dread running these upgrades because something bad always happens and I have to have @Paul hop in and help out. Anyone else experience this same issue and know why it would prompt an "Install" rather then run the "upgrader"?

Thanks

Uploading the license.php file in the php7 hotfix folder won't prompt you to do a new install. Is your config/blesta.php file present with all of your database credentials and the system key? Also, if you haven't yet, I would suggest doing the upgrade on a copy of your database and have the latest files uploaded in a new folder to test everything out first.

The installer is launched if no /config/blesta.php config file is detected. The distribution does not contain this file, it's created during install. When you upgrade and upload the new files, this file should remain. If not then you may have deleted everything first, and uploaded, rather than just uploading. Make sure to restore the /config/blesta.php config file before trying again. Don't delete anything, just overwrite existing files.

Just now, Paul said:

The installer is launched if no /config/blesta.php config file is detected. The distribution does not contain this file, it's created during install. When you upgrade and upload the new files, this file should remain. If not then you may have deleted everything first, and uploaded, rather than just uploading. Make sure to restore the /config/blesta.php config file before trying again. Don't delete anything, just overwrite existing files.

After doing it I thought about it and it is exactly what happened because FTP is dumb :D Transmit by Panic has a tendency to delete everything first instead of just overwriting. I spent some time yesterday setting up shell access to my server and plan to use SSH instead of FTP. May give it a go tonight, will keep you posted.

On a side note, I am using a custom client theme, should I go through the default bootstrap one and update the custom one? Were there any big changes I need to be concerned with?

4 minutes ago, viablethought said:

On a side note, I am using a custom client theme, should I go through the default bootstrap one and update the custom one? Were there any big changes I need to be concerned with?

I would recommend using kdiff or another program to compare the templates. I'm not aware of any really big changes, but using kdiff you can compare and see everything that's different and merge in your customizations.

22 minutes ago, Paul said:

I would recommend using kdiff or another program to compare the templates. I'm not aware of any really big changes, but using kdiff you can compare and see everything that's different and merge in your customizations.

@Paul

I actually downloaded DiffMerge because they had a version available for Mac OS, guess I will have to go through it before upgrading then just to be safe.

I had also issues with upgrades few times on php 7, then I started to follow one simple procedure ... 1.overwrite files with new one  2. switch back to php5.6   3. start upgrade process CLI or WEB(doesn't matter)   4. apply hotfix php7 and switch to php7 . 

With this approach, I never had problems(today upgraded from 4.1.0 to 4.2 ) while uploading hotfix php 7 after overwriting and then starting upgrade throw up an error (...files encoded with 5.6...etc).Now I didn't go deeper into this issue since this approach works fine for me.

On 1/3/2018 at 9:20 AM, Nelsa said:

I had also issues with upgrades few times on php 7, then I started to follow one simple procedure ... 1.overwrite files with new one  2. switch back to php5.6   3. start upgrade process CLI or WEB(doesn't matter)   4. apply hotfix php7 and switch to php7 . 

With this approach, I never had problems(today upgraded from 4.1.0 to 4.2 ) while uploading hotfix php 7 after overwriting and then starting upgrade throw up an error (...files encoded with 5.6...etc).Now I didn't go deeper into this issue since this approach works fine for me.

This worked like a charm!!! Good to go :)