blesbill

Question

Hello everyone,

I want to get an insight from people who have been using Blesta for a few years on the following:

• How stable is the software in production environment?
  • How does it really compare to the likes of WHMCS & others(if any prior experience)?
  • How quickly are issues addressed?
  • How is the support?
  • Are upgrades tested before release and are there any issues while upgrading?
  • Do people really feel that Blesta has really progressed fast enough to address the requirements of the clients?
  • Where do you see Blesta in a few years time - does anyone see it competing with OR even overtaking other similar softwares?
  • What industry is it targeted for OR who is it beneficial for - eg. shared hosting, dedicated providers?
  • Developers only - how good do you think the code framework is? How easy is it to create modules/plugins compared to coding the same in say WHMCS?

Looking for some useful reviews.

Thanks.

5 answers to this question

Hello everyone,

I want to get an insight from people who have been using Blesta for a few years on the following:

• How stable is the software in production environment?

Regarding stability Blesta has been pretty stable for us, I can give it 9/10

• How does it really compare to the likes of WHMCS & others(if any prior experience)?

It has it's own benefits  flaws (lacking), But If I had to choose again I would still use Blesta over any other Billing system.

• How quickly are issues addressed?

Bugs or any issue that arise are usually solved fast, and never had a bug that affected us, I can say 9/10 here as well.

• How is the support?

Support Is great from what I have seen so far, I can't comment much here as I never had serious issues to solve. But whenever I had issues I got all the help I needed from this forum's community. 

• Are upgrades tested before release and are there any issues while upgrading?

Never had issues on upgrades

• Do people really feel that Blesta has really progressed fast enough to address the requirements of the clients?

No

• Where do you see Blesta in a few years time - does anyone see it competing with OR even overtaking other similar softwares?

I can see Blesta as second most used Billing software, that's If they address the requested domain features fast enough

• What industry is it targeted for OR who is it beneficial for - eg. shared hosting, dedicated providers?

Both

Those are my personal views

Well, I will try to give you shortest possible answers while still informative.

We are using Blesta from April 2014, and all backend tasks are handled by me and one more developer.Now you have to understand that everyone has different priorities and different needs ...so how it will suit your needs really depend on many factors.For example when we are decided to move to blesta domain management was not our first priority and I thought till we reach to that level where domain management will be the highest priority Blesta will growth also and there will be a different situation.But now we are in a position that most of our time is spent on domain management simple because we have now 5x more domains under management than we have predicted it will be in 4 years and for now this is our major problem.Other things work without problems for us and we are more than happy with Blesta.Now I would try to respond to your questions

Blesta is stable, when it comes to this you will be more than happy.

if I have to compare to WHMCS,I would first say that in that time when we have decided to use Blesta WHMCS had some very big issues with stability and even security(now I don't know how new versions are doing)  thus WHMCS is not open like blesta and that was main reason why we chose blesta.Now WHMCS has also some advantages compared to blesta and it would be from our perspective support for our local language(this is one of the main reasons why many local providers use WHMCS),also WHMCS was for long-time industry leader in this field and as result, there is some module/plugin/gateway almost for everything.That is why I said it depend mostly on your needs and capacity.Blesta is developer friendly and have open code so this is big advantage and at some point can compensate less modules/plugins/gateways

How quickly are issues addressed?

Well, when it comes to security or bugs, these things are resolved very fast and  WHMCS was very bad when it comes to this in past(again I can only speak for a time when I was around whmcs, now it may or may not change I wouldn't know).And when it comes to new features requests than it will mostly depend on how many users ask for it...but as I know there is an option for sponsoring development.One thing I can tell you is that Blesta development now is much faster than before so...

How is the support?

I never asked for support officially, like open ticket or something  but I have never seen complaints about support and also there is always someone around here at community

Are upgrades tested before release and are there any issues while upgrading?

I never had issues with this even few times I have upgraded with beta releases

Do people really feel that Blesta has really progressed fast enough to address the requirements of the clients?

Well, in past there were some complaints  about slow development but as I see they have improved and sped up development and also I noticed new staff/devs so it seems to me they are listening what people say

Where do you see Blesta in a few years time - does anyone see it competing with OR even overtaking other similar softwares?

It has huge potential and I hope it will became industry leader but there are many things to do before it happen

What industry is it targeted for OR who is it beneficial for - eg. shared hosting, dedicated providers?

Shared hosting and VPS server provisioning(i mean automated provisioning ) is supported completely without needs for any paid extensions or custom development, when it comes to dedicated servers there is still no official module for cloud or dedicated server provisioning without third-party module or custom development.Domain management supports all popular providers and also it can be provisioned without using registrar module but we are expecting new domain management soon.Now I didn't visit forum for almost 2 months so some things may have changed..i.e new modules or something..I'm still on blesta 4.1.0..if I have missed something someone will probably correct me

Developers only - how good do you think the code framework is? How easy is it to create modules/plugins compared to coding the same in say WHMCS?

Framework is really good and they have implemented all best industry standards ,I didn't have any problems when it comes to understanding code, I sow on few places some users asked for more documentation...but for me, personally documentation is well written ..everything other can be easily compensated with standard MVC documentation.

Code is opened almost completely except license related files so you can easily understand.

5 hours ago, Nelsa said:

Shared hosting and VPS server provisioning(i mean automated provisioning ) is supported completely without needs for any paid extensions or custom development

Hold that thought... Even Cpanel provisioning doesn't have 100% support. The only module that I know that does is Vituralizor and I believe that they made and maintain the module.  

So in regards in automating Shared hosting and such you will get be able to do so but with limitations. 

10 hours ago, MineHarvest66 said:

Hold that thought... Even Cpanel provisioning doesn't have 100% support. The only module that I know that does is Vituralizor and I believe that they made and maintain the module.  

So in regards in automating Shared hosting and such you will get be able to do so but with limitations. 

I don't understand how cPanel and Plesk shared hosting module doesn't  support automation??From ordering to account creation there is no need for manual handling,...client order package and after client pay invoice..account is auto-provisioned, activation email is sent and that is it....there is no need for any manual handling ...

18 minutes ago, Nelsa said:

I don't understand how cPanel and Plesk shared hosting module doesn't  support automation??From ordering to account creation there is no need for manual handling,...client order package and after client pay invoice..account is auto-provisioned, activation email is sent and that is it....there is no need for any manual handling ...

That is correct but you forgetting the one major component options. So if you wanted to provision an account say with extra disk space you would need to manually do that with one way or another.   

That is why I am not considering it being "100% supported". If your needing proof you can even check the docs and it will "NO" for that item.