Will Blesta meet GDPR law requirements?

espservices

Hi all,

As may of you already know the new GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) EU law will become into effect on 25 May 2018.

This is a European law, but it also affects companies that are not in the EU, but have with EU clients. So it's critical for Blesta team to research on detail this new law in order to make Blesta fully compliant... because of not I don't see how any company with European clients can continue to use Blesta.

I see that WHMCS are already working on it as you all can read on their blog post at: https://blog.whmcs.com/133405/gdpr-what-you-need-to-know

So is Blesta team already working on this? If yes, great! If not, you really should do it fast!

Thanks

51 minutes ago, espservices said:

Great! Make sure you release it a few weeks before the deadline!

May I ask how companies outside of the EU have to comply with it? There was the Cookie Law which not many companies outside complied with it (it's a load of tosh anyway) and how would they know if you don't comply with it outside the EU as they would have to ask the country's enforcement agencies to make them comply with their rules. They can't also ban anyone from the EU buying from you as-well. It's just a load of rubbish :)

21 minutes ago, BlestaStore said:

May I ask how companies outside of the EU have to comply with it? 

I'm not a law expert and do not know the exact details of this law. But is very clear on many websites I read about it and also on the WHMCS blog link I posted where it says as I quote:

///

Who does GDPR apply to?

GDPR compliance isn't just for European companies.

GDPR applies to businesses of all sizes, regardless of whether you have 1 or 10,000 employees, and regardless of where you or your company is based.

If you offer products and services to customers located within Europe, then GDPR will apply to you.

///

"

13 minutes ago, espservices said:

I'm not a law expert and do not know the exact details of this law. But is very clear on many websites I read about it and also on the WHMCS blog link I posted where it says as I quote:

///

Who does GDPR apply to?

GDPR compliance isn't just for European companies.

GDPR applies to businesses of all sizes, regardless of whether you have 1 or 10,000 employees, and regardless of where you or your company is based.

If you offer products and services to customers located within Europe, then GDPR will apply to you.

///

"

Yeah but the EU want to rule everything :D they said it on the Cookie Law: https://www.cookielaw.org/faq/#Whatbusinesseshavetocomply

They changed it because they can't regulate it even though they could fine you £500,000

In the UK for example the ICO has powers to force websites to change or it can impose a fine of up to £500,000 in the most serious cases.  However there is no indication that this is going to happen any time soon.

and:

We're outside of the EU, are we affected?

The law is designed to protect the privacy of individuals within the EU.  In theory, this means that any website that serves EU citizens, has to comply with respect to those citizens, regardless of who owns the website.

In practice, as enforcement is on a country by country basis, any company which has no legal EU presence, is going to be very hard to pursue a case against

8 minutes ago, BlestaStore said:

Yeah but the EU want to rule everything :D they said it on the Cookie Law: https://www.cookielaw.org/faq/#Whatbusinesseshavetocomply

They changed it because they can't regulate it even though they could fine you £500,000

I admit that this new GDPR law is almost insane and it will be very hard for companies to meet all the requirements at 100%. But at least here on this forum Im not interested in discuss politics. I just know that is a law that will be in effect soon and that busines must meet in order not to be fined.

So to the Blesta team: please continue the GDPR work and try to make Blesta as compliant as possible.

2 minutes ago, espservices said:

I admit that this new GDPR law is almost insane and it will be very hard for company to meet all the requirements at 100%. But at least here on this forum Im not interested in discuss politics. I just know that is a law that will be in effect soon and that busines must meet in order not to be fined.

So to te Blesta team: please continue the GDPR work and try to make Blesta as compliant as possible.

they are working on it I'm just stating if someone is outside the EU it's not a legal requirement :D unless you have residency or a business office in the EU and then they'd need the NSA, etc and every other agency to monitor every site in the world.

10 minutes ago, BlestaStore said:

they are working on it I'm just stating if someone is outside the EU it's not a legal requirement :D unless you have residency or a business office in the EU and then they'd need the NSA, etc and every other agency to monitor every site in the world.

Are you a lawyer specialized on this topic? Because I'm not... but already talked with people that are and Im not going to take and risks. You can interpret the law as you wish and you can then deal with the consequences.

24 minutes ago, espservices said:

Are you a lawyer specialized on this topic? Because I'm not... but already talked with people that are and Im not going to take and risks. You can interpret the law as you wish and you can then deal with the consequences.

nope nor am I but I follow a lot like the Kim Dotcom case where NewZealand took it into their own hands to let the FBI raid someone who shouldn't have been due to the laws in NZ and he didn't do anything wrong.

• 1 month later...

GDPR is comming very soon. Does Blesta dev team has any further update on this? The law comes into effect 25 May, so can Blesta team ensure us that before that date Blesta will meet and be compliant with GDPR? Because if not, any provider using Blesta will be unable to sell services to companies located in Europe. When I mean unable, I know it's possible, but it will break the law. 

I'm not here to discuss if people agree on GDPR or not. The only thing I can say is that is a very serious law and the fines and penalties are very hard! Also it's very hard to be compliant. So I please request Blesta team to dedicate the time needed to do this right.

Besides this, keep up the good work. Blesta is great!

On 4/13/2018 at 9:28 PM, espservices said:

GDPR is comming very soon. Does Blesta dev team has any further update on this? The law comes into effect 25 May, so can Blesta team ensure us that before that date Blesta will meet and be compliant with GDPR? Because if not, any provider using Blesta will be unable to sell services to companies located in Europe. When I mean unable, I know it's possible, but it will break the law. 

I'm not here to discuss if people agree on GDPR or not. The only thing I can say is that is a very serious law and the fines and penalties are very hard! Also it's very hard to be compliant. So I please request Blesta team to dedicate the time needed to do this right.

Besides this, keep up the good work. Blesta is great!

We are working on adding some features that will make being compliant with GDPR easier. You can find the story at https://dev.blesta.com/browse/CORE-2463 and view the sub-tasks associated with it.

On 3/1/2018 at 7:32 PM, espservices said:

If you are not in the EU and don't follow GDPR then there's nothing the EU can do to you unless:

1) you have assets in the EU
2) your country has some special treaty with the EU forcing you to comply for be held liable in your country

The EU is not the new world order like they seem to think they are nor can they force their ways on other countries without the aforementioned treaties.

• 3 weeks later...

Any news on this, yet? I took a look into the subject https://dev.blesta.com/browse/CORE-2463 with subtasks - most unassigned and unresolved. So I'm from Germany and all of my clients are in the EU. If Blesta won't be compatible with the GDPR in two weeks, I have to quit blesta and use another software.

I absolutely cannot understand the ignorance regarding this topic by some commentators here.

5 hours ago, wdfee said:

Any news on this, yet? I took a look into the subject https://dev.blesta.com/browse/CORE-2463 with subtasks - most unassigned and unresolved. So I'm from Germany and all of my clients are in the EU. If Blesta won't be compatible with the GDPR in two weeks, I have to quit blesta and use another software.

It's in progress, thank you for your patience. The first phase, to be included with version 4.3 ASAP, will have everything you need to make it easy to comply with any requests you may receive. If you receive any requests prior to our release of 4.3, let us know and we will help. It's still possible to comply, but is a little more manual.

5 hours ago, Blesta.Store said:

I assume one of them is me mate since I don't like the EU and their regulations they sprout up. 

Hi Michael, this is going offtopic, I don't want to start political discussions here. I don't know where you're from, but I'm pretty sure that spreading destructive political opinions is not the best marketing technique towards customers. I've been following this topic since months now and assumed by your name that you belong to Blesta, and I was close to quit because of this. Now I took a deeper look, you're just distributor and I really hope, the Blesta team doesn't share your opinion.

Thanks @Paul for investigating and clearing up. That's a good starting point but time is running and I will take a look at other software, then decide.

Is really dissapointed . EU is not the whole world, USA also, so if a soft is offered universally it should respect the major market laws, including japan china india canada ect ....

This was announced a year ago and all other competitor has worked in it and now they are compliants .

Blesta should add asterisks to the billing features like :

Is not ideal for hosting industry.

Is not compatible with EU invoicings and laws.

Is not fully multi languages .

Is not reflecting clients ideas, it reflect staff ideas .

Ect....

• Paul locked this topic