Paypal Recurring Payments

evolvewh

A recurring payment came in to Paypal this morning and I never physically checked it until now but it never showed up in Blesta to be applied to an open invoice. The customer logged in hours later and made another payment so the invoice has been paid but there's no sign of a credit from that first payment. Using Blesta 4.2.2 with no additional modifications to payments.

Suggestions of where to look for clues on why this didn't work as expected?

10 minutes ago, evolvewh said:

A recurring payment came in to Paypal this morning and I never physically checked it until now but it never showed up in Blesta to be applied to an open invoice. The customer logged in hours later and made another payment so the invoice has been paid but there's no sign of a credit from that first payment. Using Blesta 4.2.2 with no additional modifications to payments.

Suggestions of where to look for clues on why this didn't work as expected?

You can check the PayPal ipn log from your seller tools in paypal, even resend them

• 1 month later...

I forgot to respond to this.

The IPN is correct. When a recurring payment comes in through Paypal, it is still not being added as a credit or applied to an open invoice for the client. If I don't manually catch this, nothing happens.

I've looked through the IPN history in Paypal and the IPN is sent when a customer manually makes a payment but not when it's a recurring payment:

/billing/callback/gw/1/paypal_payments_standard/?client_id=

So PayPal is not notifying Blesta that a payment was made? That sounds like it may be an issue with PayPal, no? Have you tried to ask their customer support why recurring payments are not making IPN calls?

16 hours ago, Tyson said:

So PayPal is not notifying Blesta that a payment was made? That sounds like it may be an issue with PayPal, no? Have you tried to ask their customer support why recurring payments are not making IPN calls?

Paypal is not notifying Blesta only when Recurring payments are made. One time payments are notified.

I have sent an email to Paypal and I'm waiting to hear back from them.

• 3 weeks later...

You may want to check with your PayPal account to be sure that the IPN request is set up to be made for the recurring payment. Sometimes, particularly if the IPN request had continuously failed, PayPal will disable it and no longer send IPN requests. It might be referencing the wrong URL (for example, if you moved your Blesta installation to a new location), or if the server hosting Blesta does not support TLS 1.2, PayPal will not be able to negotiate a handshake with the server in attempt to send the IPN. The latter doesn't seem like the issue since you receive manual payments, but still worth double-checking. If either of those is the problem, you'll need to resolve them first and then re-enable the recurring IPN in PayPal.

On 6/25/2018 at 10:33 AM, Tyson said:

You may want to check with your PayPal account to be sure that the IPN request is set up to be made for the recurring payment. Sometimes, particularly if the IPN request had continuously failed, PayPal will disable it and no longer send IPN requests. It might be referencing the wrong URL (for example, if you moved your Blesta installation to a new location), or if the server hosting Blesta does not support TLS 1.2, PayPal will not be able to negotiate a handshake with the server in attempt to send the IPN. The latter doesn't seem like the issue since you receive manual payments, but still worth double-checking. If either of those is the problem, you'll need to resolve them first and then re-enable the recurring IPN in PayPal.

Sorry for the delay and thank you for the additional info. I've got a ticket open with Merchant Technical Support right now and I'm waiting to hear back from them. I'll update once I hear back from them.

So far, it looks like Paypal attaches the callback URL to the Recurring profile so if you change that URL under the settings page (in your Paypal account) it does not reflect on any of the recurring profiles. We changed the URL to our billing portal about 4-5 months ago. That explains why it works for 1 time payments and not for recurring payments. Still working with them to figure out how to update this because i don't see a place within our account to do so unless we were to cancel all recurring profiles and set them up again.

Response from Paypal in case anyone else runs into this issue:

I apologize for the frustration. When a Subscription is created the Instant Payment Notification URL that is on file or the notify_url that is sent in with the payment request is the notification URL that is used for the life of the Subscription.

Here are the options to resolve this issue:

You can see if your Web Developer can setup a forwarder from the incorrect Notify URL to the Correct Notify URL.

The other option is to create new subscriptions and cancel the old subscriptions, which isn't the best option.

I confirmed with the PayPal Product Developers that the IPN Notify URL gets setup in the batch server when the Subscription is created, so it cannot be changed on the subscription.

Oh, so you had changed the location of your Blesta installation a while back? I can see why Blesta never receives the IPN then.

It's unfortunate that PayPal does not allow you to update existing subscriptions to change the IPN URL.. are you able to have the old URL forward to the new URL? By default, the URL should be https://domain.com/PATH_TO_BLESTA/callback/gw/COMPANY_ID/paypal_payments_standard/ where PATH_TO_BLESTA is your Blesta web directory and COMPANY_ID is your company ID. GET and POST data will need to be passed along.

14 hours ago, Tyson said:

Oh, so you had changed the location of your Blesta installation a while back? I can see why Blesta never receives the IPN then.

It's unfortunate that PayPal does not allow you to update existing subscriptions to change the IPN URL.. are you able to have the old URL forward to the new URL? By default, the URL should be https://domain.com/PATH_TO_BLESTA/callback/gw/COMPANY_ID/paypal_payments_standard/ where PATH_TO_BLESTA is your Blesta web directory and COMPANY_ID is your company ID. GET and POST data will need to be passed along.

I created a redirect in the .htaccess file and it should work. I'll have to wait until the next recurring payment comes in to confirm. This fixed the issue. Thanks for your help with this.

• Tyson locked this topic