View Pdf Invoices From Within Browser

FoxDenHosting

The paid stamp is already available.

PDFs streamed to browsers are not supported by all major browsers on all major operating systems. Some browsers fallback to forcing download, while others do nothing but show a blank white page. The only way to ensure 100% delivery is to force download as Blesta does.

If Blesta did allow streaming we would undoubtably be inundated with misdirected bug reports. If there was an option to enable streaming it would have to be done in such a way that the user is aware of the incompatibility issues that will arise.

I would find this a nice option. Perhaps it should be done as an option. I hate having multiple PDF files downloaded when I only need to look at an invoice and not actually download a PDF of it. Perhaps an option in settings or a checkbox under view invoice under each client's info that says, view in browser or download pdf.

I would find this a nice option. Perhaps it should be done as an option. I hate having multiple PDF files downloaded when I only need to look at an invoice and not actually download a PDF of it. Perhaps an option in settings or a checkbox under view invoice under each client's info that says, view in browser or download pdf.

Don't you get a similar popup to the following when you click to view an invoice?

post-2-0-79080700-1380553634_thumb.png

You can click to open it in Adobe Reader, or if you have a PDF plugin for your browser of choice, you can choose to open it in a browser which would do the same as streaming.

Another option is to have the "View" link for the invoices turn it into a HTML-ified version of the PDF, and offer a link saying "Download PDF Version" near the top or something.  Similar to what WHMCS does.

We did design the invoice system to be able to support multiple formats, like PDF, HTML, and more. I'm pretty sure we will be implementing an HTML version. However, others, like the aforementioned generate their PDF invoices from HTML directly which we think results in a poorer quality PDF. So, the challenge will by to try to re-create the PDF version in HTML such that it looks similar.

What do you guys think, a pop up window with an HTML invoice and an option there to download the PDF version? Or embed the invoice in the page in the client area?

Wouldn't it make more sense to offer an option under [settings] > [Company] > [billing/Payment] > [invoice Customization] to choose whether or not the invoice should be streamed or force download, since settings don't allow you to offer two different file types for invoices at one time?

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

I have more customers complaining about this. It would be great if it can be deployed officially by Blesta. 

Concerning about browsers, I am saying the same browser, for example, Chrome, it have in-browser PDF viewer already, but Blesta still forces downloading.

Thank you.

Downloads work differently depending on your OS and browser. For example, on Windows with Firefox, you are presented with a dialog to either open the file in Firefox or save it. You can also tell Firefox to do this automatically. If you check that then every time you download a PDF it will open in your browser.

With Chrome on Windows, the PDF is automatically opened in Chrome using Chrome's PDF viewer when you click the download at the bottom of the window. Again, you can select "Always open with system viewer" and it will automatically load in your browser when you download it.