2 Clients With the same Client Number

Joseph H

Hi guys, today An odd thing happened with 2 of our clients. A client registered today and his account got assigned with a client number which already exists. Invoices were send to the wrong client + he was seeing another clients details in his dashboard.

Same was for the staff area, We saw being mixed between 2 separate accounts and all acted as 1 account.

We had to delete the new clients data directly from the database and registering again worked fine and we could not replicate the issue.

Screenshot from 2018-06-06 11-05-21.png

1 hour ago, Paul said:

That's unusual.. I assume the clients had a different ID internally in MySQL but the same ID code? How far apart did these clients register? Do you have any records from MySQL prior to cleaning it up? 

The clients are 3018 and 3020 there is a client in between them. And checking mysql I couldn't figure out the problem fast enough

19 hours ago, Joseph H said:

I think It is, I wonder what the cause is

Do you see an big jump in ID's? This can happen with automated bots registering accounts that fail to be created. A failure causes the transaction to be rolled back, but MySQL doesn't reuse the ID from the failed database transaction.

• 2 weeks later...

Why the hell does the column not have a UNIQUE index on the goddamn column you use as an identifier?? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? 

I mean it should really be the primary key, in an ideal world. If not, at the very minimum, it should be unique indexed. ?

If it had the index, the user would have never had their account created in the first place and this whole mess would've been avoided full stop. Not to mention this would clearly break any and all data protection laws. 

Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 21.06.29.png

12 minutes ago, NextToNothing said:

Why the hell does the column not have a UNIQUE index on the goddamn column you use as an identifier?? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? 

I mean it should really be the primary key, in an ideal world. If not, at the very minimum, it should be unique indexed. ?

If it had the index, the user would have never had their account created in the first place and this whole mess would've been avoided full stop. Not to mention this would clearly break any and all data protection laws. 

Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 21.06.29.png

Wrong. id_value is for display purposes, and it's not joined with any other tables. If id_value were unique, Blesta installs with multiple companies would not be able to have clients, or packages, or many other things with overlapping ID's.

Also don't appreciate the language, and your response comes across a bit arrogant.