Older versions of Blesta, and TLS 1.0 ending

agisthos

Question

I still have a legacy version of Blesta 2.5.4 because it runs a custom module (developed by Blesta/Philips Data).

This module connects with an external API for account authentication, using https.

Now that TLS 1.0 support is being dropped by most  web hosts, I'm not sure if this version of Blesta and my module will keep working.

Is there anyway to know if my custom module communicates via the older TLS 1.0 protocol?

9 answers to this question

1 hour ago, agisthos said:

I still have a legacy version of Blesta 2.5.4 because it runs a custom module (developed by Blesta/Philips Data).

This module connects with an external API for account authentication, using https.

Now that TLS 1.0 support is being dropped by most  web hosts, I'm not sure if this version of Blesta and my module will keep working.

Is there anyway to know if my custom module communicates via the older TLS 1.0 protocol?

Upgrade to latest version and ask them to write the module for latest version .

2 hours ago, agisthos said:

I agree with @Blesta Addons you should update and have the custom module updated.  In saying that I would think that your module would be written to connect via http or https (not on a TLS protocol itself) and it would be down to how your server is setup as to what version TLS is used, more to the point their server since your connecting to them.  I would think as long as your system/server is up to date then it should be able to communicate on all newer TLS protocols.

8 hours ago, Blesta Addons said:

Upgrade to latest version and ask them to write the module for latest version .

Indeed it's the business's responsibly to either...  

1. Pay for support/updates as needed 

OR 

2. Arrange for "managed" updates to be pushed out for them a flat fee per month/year/lifetime/etc.  

For custom works that is. 

This was created in 2009/2010. Lasting 8 years without issues is pretty good.

But from memory there was a major change going from Blesta v2 to v3 that broke all compatibility with custom modules, so I never updated and have been on v2 ever since.

I'm not sure what that change was....

@agisthos, why don't you install v4.2 and have a play around and see if you like all the updates?  From what I've read v3 was a full code re-write.  I came around to blesta after the change but even since v3 there have been a lot of good updates you'll be missing due to that one module.

If you have access to VPS's you could always do a quick install of blesta on a new setup and test your module with TLS1.0 disabled.  I'm sure it would still work.

A few comments on this:

• Blesta is TLS agnostic. This is more an issue of OS, though I'm not sure if older versions of PHP are capable of modern TLS. I would set up a CentOS 6.9 server with PHP 5.2/5.3 and test it. I *think* v2.5.4 supports up to PHP 5.3, but I'm not totally sure.
  • Blesta v3 was a full rewrite. No modules for 2.x will work in 3.0+.
  • If you want a module for 2.5.4 ported to the latest release, feel free to reach out.
  • And finally, I would highly recommend migrating over to the latest release. There are so many improvements over 2.5 it's crazy.

I just installed the new v4 for a test run. Very nice. And I forgot I already purchased an unbranded copy back in 2013 that has been sitting in my account unused. Paul it says never expire in the account, but when installed the admin panel tells me I do not get updates or support. Was the $300 purchase back in 2013 for lifetime unbranded? or just unbranded without support as you sell now for 300?

For who wants to know, Blesta 2.5.4 has been working fine on PHP 5.6 for me, but there are many functions I don't use, so its not definitive.

5 minutes ago, agisthos said:

I just installed the new v4 for a test run. Very nice. And I forgot I already purchased an unbranded copy back in 2013 that has been sitting in my account unused. Paul it says never expire in the account, but when installed the admin panel tells me I do not get updates or support. Was the $300 purchase back in 2013 for lifetime unbranded? or just unbranded without support as you sell now for 300?

For who wants to know, Blesta 2.5.4 has been working fine on PHP 5.6 for me, but there are many functions I don't use, so its not definitive.

The 300 bucks version basically I BELIEVE works just like most "lifetime" licenses works. You pay a lump sum then  every year AFTER that you pay $40+/year to keep support and updates. But if you wanted lifetime features too you can get that for a literal 500 bucks payment (the last time I check" which would include lifetime support and updates. 

10 minutes ago, agisthos said:

You got the Blesta Owned Unbranded, which came with 1 year support & updates. We didn't offer the $500 Lifetime version until after v3 was officially released, so it wasn't available when you purchased v2 and got a free v3 license.