[ideas] Advanced Auto Backup System

Blesta Addons

today we want to share with the community our upcoming release "Auto Backup System" .

this plugin is a revolutionary backup system for Blesta, it has some features that is not exist in Blesta and either in other Competitors. the New Plugin is making backups in two sense, Database and Files, then they are send to cloud storages system like dropbox and gdrive, amazon s3 (more storages will be added ) .

some features

- The backup System store the backup files and database in upload directory .
- The database backup is made with a native php function and not by the mysqldump command that a lot of hosting providers disable it for accounts .
- The backup system send files/database to configured remote cloud storages .
- Option to exclude tables from database .

we have the intention to add this features after the first release :

1 - Email Summary for the backup done
2 - Add Microsoft Drive as Cloud Storage

3 - Option To restore Files, Database

the plugin already done, and we are testing it in live production now to see the results .

What do you think? any feature you want to see in this plugin?

Great work! Database + files, to a cloud service sounds great. :blesta: One thing you didn't mention is whether it stores multiple copies of the backup on remote storage, if you can set how frequently to perform the backups, and if it can rotate out old backups from the remote storage (ie keep 30 days worth).

28 minutes ago, Paul said:

:blesta: One thing you didn't mention is whether it stores multiple copies of the backup on remote storage, if you can set how frequently to perform the backups, and if it can rotate out old backups from the remote storage (ie keep 30 days worth). 

Yes it has, from the plugin it has the number of files to keep, (not days). for database we have interval setting cron , so it can be 1/2/3/ hours or  15 mins ect .. for files it has time so it can be a specific time, and we prefer to be in the night and not in midnight 00:00:00 .

this is something I really want, retention period in one form or another.  I have Blesta backing up to an account in a different location and it hits 20gb often before I remember to remove the old backups.

Apart from file changes for support desk attachments I don't think the files change that often at all, are you able to have different period backups for files and database, for example?
Backup frequency:
Files - Weekly/daily/hourly etc
Database - Daily/hourly etc
Or whatever period is selected

Also for the file backup are you able to set a folder(s) to exclude as well?  We don't really worry about the email attachments files for the support desk and as time goes by that will just get larger and larger to a point where we would not want to be backing it up all the time, there is no reason really not to but there is also no reason to.  We do full cPanel backup before we make any changes so this backup is just for disaster recovery and email attachments don't rank for recovery.

Looking forward to this please do let us know when you finish it.

18 hours ago, WebhostingNZ.com said:

this is something I really want, retention period in one form or another.  I have Blesta backing up to an account in a different location and it hits 20gb often before I remember to remove the old backups. 

retention period is included in our first release for local backup only . then we will add it to cloud storage instances.

Apart from file changes for support desk attachments I don't think the files change that often at all, are you able to have different period backups for files and database, for example?
Backup frequency:
Files - Weekly/daily/hourly etc
Database - Daily/hourly etc
Or whatever period is selected 

This already included in our plugin, we have two crons, 1 for database that has interval from min to 24 hours, so you can set  every 3 hours or  hours ect ... for files we have time, that mean the backup is run 1 time a day, also you can disable the cron to disable the files backups . 

we have the intention to have a internal settings for files to be (weekly or monthly ..ect )

Also for the file backup are you able to set a folder(s) to exclude as well?  We don't really worry about the email attachments files for the support desk and as time goes by that will just get larger and larger to a point where we would not want to be backing it up all the time, there is no reason really not to but there is also no reason to.  We do full cPanel backup before we make any changes so this backup is just for disaster recovery and email attachments don't rank for recovery.

exlude folders is not implemented yet, but we have thre option for backup folders :

Root Blesta Directory
Uploads Directory
Blesta Logs Directory

so you can check wich of them are included in the backup, so you can exclude Uploads directory that include the support ticket attachements.

Our Plugin is totally bulot to be more flexible in term of options and settings, so you can set a backup rule to include only database and send it to Dropbox, and other rule to include files to a custom local folder  or Dropbox ect ...

dropbox_1.png

dropbox_2.png