Claim blesta as business expense & reclaim VAT?

Freddie

Question

Hi!

I am thinking of moving from a free competitor to Blesta for my online shop. I am wondering if I will be able to claim Blesta as a business expense (UK) so I won't pay tax on £300 of income. I vaguely understand claiming VAT and could probably figure that out myself, but I normally don't claim business expenses as we don't earn enough to make it worth the hassle, but this is a decent expense so might be worth claiming - this site says I would pay £180 less in tax with my current tax band ( income-tax.co.uk )

Anyone done this before with Blesta, and can help me out with how to do it?

6 answers to this question

5 hours ago, Blesta.Store said:

You're not charged VAT unless you buy from Licensepal, then you can reclaim it back.

Yep, and also since we are in the US, we do not charge VAT tax to EU customers. You may still be able to reduce your tax liability as a business expense, but you wouldn't be paying any tax. We can't provide tax advice though, and you should assume that we don't know what we are talking about in regard to the matter as it relates to you. If that sounds disclaimery it's because it is :blesta:

It's a business expense plain and simple.   I'm from NZ so I have no idea on UK tax but you should be able to claim the business expense so you would not be taxed on that income at all as you didn't make income that turnover it went to business expenses. 

Not sure if you can just call up HMRC (I think they deal with Tax in UK?) but if you can give them a call and ask how you claim business expenses.  Should be the same as you claim all other expenses eg hosting/servers/power/phone/room rental (even in your own house).

I still can. We have here in Vietnam luckily the option, to write off all sorts of expenses, as incorporation and taxes rae lagging here well behind.  Most places even can't provide a tax invoice (RED BILL) ,but they are still expenses. That functions always for the first 4 years.

The tax system as such, I would not even recognize as a system at all.  Taxes still calculated by a phi * thumb calculation, estimated sqm of business, number of table and chairs and some items like food, coffee, paper ... traded .... and multiplyed by random sums +10 % V.A.T (if we sell, but must exclude domain names, emergency services)   PLUS a base tax of about 50 USD per calendar year

A little side note: USD46.00 are here about ONE million VND

10 hours ago, Tiny said:

I still can. We have here in Vietnam luckily the option, to write off all sorts of expenses, as incorporation and taxes rae lagging here well behind.  Most places even can't provide a tax invoice (RED BILL) ,but they are still expenses. That functions always for the first 4 years.

The tax system as such, I would not even recognize as a system at all.  Taxes still calculated by a phi * thumb calculation, estimated sqm of business, number of table and chairs and some items like food, coffee, paper ... traded .... and multiplyed by random sums +10 % V.A.T (if we sell, but must exclude domain names, emergency services)   PLUS a base tax of about 50 USD per calendar year

A little side note: USD46.00 are here about ONE million VND

I always thought you can only claim tax back if you pay it on the item.

Eg: Product A: £4 no vat = you can't claim it.
Product B: £4 + 20% VAT = you can claim the 20% back.