Blesta v4.3.0: Suspended services are unsuspended without payment.

S.H.

Blesta v4.3.0

Suspended services that have NOT been paid are automatically unsuspended when the related invoice has been voided. Services should only be unsuspended if the invoice is paid. I prefer to void invoices and suspend services instead of cancel.

7 hours ago, Morningstar said:

Well not a good sign It seems I need to watch this thread  ?  What version are you using any modules etc ? so I can test myself too?

Hi, I'm using Blesta v4.3.0. I can't believe I made a bug report without stating the version, lol, lack of sleep I guess. These are core functions + stock CPanel module, I'll give some specific details if you want to test your version.

Locate any client with a service that was suspended due to unpaid invoice, then void the invoice and wait for cron to do it's thing. I voided about 5 invoices that were past due but I don't like the idea of cancelling services outright as I have the excess capacity to keep the accounts suspended incase the client eventually decides to renew. I know it's a lenient philosophy that not everyone would agree with but as long as I have the excess capacity I prefer not to do any purging of client data, on CPanel servers it's not a huge deal for us at this point.

• S.H. changed the title to Blesta v4.3.0: Suspended services are unsuspended without payment.
2 hours ago, S.H. said:

Hi, I'm using Blesta v4.3.0. I can't believe I made a bug report without stating the version, lol, lack of sleep I guess. These are core functions + stock CPanel module, I'll give some specific details if you want to test your version.

Locate any client with a service that was suspended due to unpaid invoice, then void the invoice and wait for cron to do it's thing. I voided about 5 invoices that were past due but I don't like the idea of cancelling services outright as I have the excess capacity to keep the accounts suspended incase the client eventually decides to renew. I know it's a lenient philosophy that not everyone would agree with but as long as I have the excess capacity I prefer not to do any purging of client data, on CPanel servers it's not a huge deal for us at this point. 

in previous version 4.2.2 the service was not UN-suspended after the invoice is void ?

4 hours ago, Morningstar said:

As admin or staff Is it possible to receive an email notification when a service is suspended and unsuspended?  This can help be aware of any accidental

issue

Go to My Info > Notices > 

You can receive service suspended emails but not unspespend

7 hours ago, BeZazz said:

My 2c is when you void something you make it invalid.

So if the invoice is invalid, the service should not have been suspended in the first place IMO

I understand the philosophy and I agree that voiding something makes it invalid but then I need a workaround to be able to void invoices that are long past due without having it unsuspend any services. The answer is probably that services past due should be cancelled but I prefer to hold off on any extreme and irreversible actions until absolutely necessary. If in fact an invoice was created in error then you have to manually log into Blesta to deal with that situation so it would seem logical that in the same effort the wrongly suspended service could be unsuspended manually.

With the current situation at hand these are some other factors to consider:

1. When the invoices are voided, cron will unsuspend the services and send emails to the clients stating their service was reactivated.
  2. You will double check everything is in order and confidently log out of Blesta but minutes later cron will run and there is no staff notification that services have been unsuspended so you will be giving away free hosting for at least one billing term until a renewal invoice is generated and you eventually realize what has happened.
  3. Let's assume you've setup email alerts for everything on Cpanel/WHM so 5-10 minutes later you get multiple emails about services being unsuspended. You now have to log back into Blesta to re-suspend all the same accounts that were wrongly unsuspended and this time cron will send an email to the client stating their service was suspended.
  4. There is no Email Template for when a service has been scheduled for cancellation or for when a service has been cancelled. I do not know if Blesta sends a canned email notification to the client in these situations but if there is no Client Email Template for the event then I assume that no notification is issued to the client.

Depending on the outcome, the client may take the free hosting and never mention it, they may inquire about the multiple emails, they may ignore the emails, they may report you for spam, etc. To avoid creating a situation of uncertainty I am proposing that a checkbox option be added somewhere to toggle whether manually voiding an invoice automatically unsuspends services. I certainly see value in having it work either way depending on your operational philosophy so a toggle seems like a good idea.

If you void an invoice, it's treated as if it doesn't exist. So then, if you have a pending service, or a suspended service that is attached to that invoice, the pending service will be created, and the suspended service will be unsuspended. If you are voiding invoices, you should be aware of this and take any necessary action on the service first.

If you manually suspend a service as an admin, it won't be unsuspended except by an admin.