Blesta 3.6.1 and php 7.0

bjacksparow

Question

17 answers to this question

13 hours ago, katycomputer said:

Why don't you find out what it will take to update to latest & greatest? Blesta pricing is very reasonable.

Then what's the point of even having an owned license? One doesn't own anything here, if I have to keep updating and being at the mercy of changing underlaying framework?
Can I change the code myself to enable php 7.0, have they provided that liberty? So what I am owning here? Just some random version number on a piece of paper?
Then this is just discounted yearly membership, not owned license.

You realize, I am not looking for additional feature which completely makes sense to have upgraded license.

I am talking about completely changing and dropping support on core framework without prior communication around end of life.
You don't build softwares by abruptly changing core framework and if you do, you still provide support for previous/future framework components and announce an end of life or provide communication around when you will stop supporting.

My expectation here is communicate in advance before you make something obsolete, especially if you are charging clients. If this was free, I cannot expect anything but just thank it's existence. 

13 hours ago, WebhostingNZ.com said:

Hi @bjacksparow,

Why not just run PHP 5.6?  If your host doesn't support it, find one that does.  The better option as @katycomputer has pointed out would be to upgrade your blesta license and install the 'latest & greatest' aka current version.

Again, I am not looking for latest and greatest. I am just asking to support the core component like php for a longer duration and for multiple version and not drop the support un-announced.
How would you like your purchased software to stop working because you upgraded your ram? I hope everyone can understand what I am trying to convey here.

Maybe, me being annoyed is hindering my thought formation. ?

cPanel released PHP 7 into cPanel about 1 year after Blesta 3.6.1 (which was released about 2 years ago).

You can not expect support for newer PHP version/s in older software. Sure if Blesta 3.6.1 was the current version, I would expect it to run on PHP 7 but Blesta  3.6.1 is an older version.

You really need to update if you expect it to run on the newer PHP version/s.

5 hours ago, bjacksparow said:

How would you like your purchased software to stop working because you upgraded your ram? I hope everyone can understand what I am trying to convey here.

So if you upgrade your ram from DDR3 to DDR4 it's the motherboards fault for not taking the ram?  They should make it fit and work?    Because we aren't talking about a minor build update here we are talking about a major version/release change.

If you don't want to pay to upgrade, just run PHP 5.6.  If you want to update your PHP,  you need to update your Blesta as well it's as simple as that.

Get a cheap VPS, put PHP5.6 on it, install blesta, or go to a webhost that provides mulit PHP.  cPanel, Cloudlinux and I'm sure other panel software also provides the user with the choice on PHP version.

53 minutes ago, WebhostingNZ.com said:

Because we aren't talking about a minor build update here we are talking about a major version/release change.

Thanks for stating the above. This is what separates a company who cares about their customers.

Pick any good software company and see how they run their upgrades and end of life  support. 

Also the problem is not with 3.6.1 not supporting php 7.0, the problem here is encoding your files in php 7.0 ioncube, when you can easily provide hotfixes or files encoded for a few previous php versions.

And if you are planning to end something or make breaking changes, simply announce and provide portability until the announced date.

I don't think any of that was done. As a paying customer, just holding you to a higher standard.

2 hours ago, BeZazz said:

cPanel released PHP 7 into cPanel about 1 year after Blesta 3.6.1 (which was released about 2 years ago).

You can not expect support for newer PHP version/s in older software. Sure if Blesta 3.6.1 was the current version, I would expect it to run on PHP 7 but Blesta  3.6.1 is an older version.

You really need to update if you expect it to run on the newer PHP version/s.

Why do I have to update? Am I asking to make use of the new features of the software?

I am just asking to provide the ion cube encoded files in multiple php versions and if you are planning to not provide these, let your customers know way in advance. 

3 minutes ago, bjacksparow said:

And if you are planning to end something or make breaking changes, simply announce and provide portability until the announced date

Please let me know how they made changes that broke it?  The software was released for PHP version 5.6.  It still works on the PHP version it was produced for they didn't break anything.  Your choice of PHP install is what is causing the problem.

FYI: Blesta 3.6.1 was released one month before PHP7 was even released, and a long time before control panel software added support for PHP7.
https://www.blesta.com/tags/3.6.1/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHP

Side note but I wish Wingcommander/Privateer still worked on my current PC (without an emulator), wonder if I should message them and tell them to update for me?

Just now, bjacksparow said:

Why do I have to update? Am I asking to make use of the new features of the software?

I am just asking to provide the ion cube encoded files in multiple php versions and if you are planning to not provide these, let your customers know way in advance. 

Right here, this is the answer....

You do NOT need to update - you do however, need to also NOT update your PHP version.  You can't update one without updating the other.  As I have already said just run PHP5.6 and you will have no problem.

I won't be replying to this thread anymore as I feel it will go nowhere everything that can be has been answered already.  Good luck.

3 minutes ago, WebhostingNZ.com said:

Right here, this is the answer....

You do NOT need to update - you do however, need to also NOT update your PHP version.  You can't update one without updating the other.  As I have already said just run PHP5.6 and you will have no problem.

I won't be replying to this thread anymore as I feel it will go nowhere everything that can be has been answered already.  Good luck.

Do you even understand portability? Have you ever written any software that is consumed by paying clients? 

And how do you know blesta 3.6.1 won't even work with php 7.0? It definitely won't, if you lock 2 of your files down to work only with specific php versions. The problem here is locking.

@bjacksparow I suspect everyone is taking Blesta's side on this one because the fee for support is so reasonable - $39 per year, I too would be grouchy if it was $390  per year, but it's not. Phillips charges a very reasonable fee for an essential tool. We want this software to be successful, it can't survive if its customers look for every conceivable way to avoid supporting the product.

10 hours ago, bjacksparow said:

It will take more then ion cube encoded files, to get software to run on PHP 7x that was designed to run on PHP 5.6.

Just wanted to chime in here that the Blesta version 3-series (e.g. v3.6.0) will never support php 7+. It simply can not. There are backward incompatible changes introduced in php 7 that prevents Blesta v3.6 from being runnable on that version of php.

In order for Blesta to support php 7+, Blesta must be updated to resolve those backward incompatible php 7 changes, and in so doing has to introduce backward incompatible changes in itself. This means that in order to support php 7, an update to Blesta requires a major software release (i.e. moving from version 3.x to version 4 following semantic versioning standards). This is precisely what we did do by releasing Blesta v4.0, and with that version you can run php 5.4+ or php 7+ using the provided ioncube-encoded files for php 5, php 7, or php7.1+ respectively.

Ioncube itself does not support php 7+ with its php 5 encoded files, so that's why different encoded files must be used for your particular php version.

Yep.. just to be extra clear, as an addon to Tyson's post. If we re-encoded the files for v3.6 with the ioncube encoder for PHP 7.0 or higher, it still would not work. It's not a limitation on the software, Blesta 3.6 will not run under PHP 7. We spent a lot of time and effort with Blesta 4.0 to add support for PHP 7, which included a major framework update.

There's no reason anyone should be running EOL software (See https://docs.blesta.com/display/support/End+of+Life+Policy). I highly recommend upgrading to 4.3.2.