Order Form - Your Cart Currency Should Be Prefix Or Suffix, Not Both

dait

Question

Blesta 3.0.4, order form, part called "Your Cart", there is this:

MnVskQt.jpg

I think it is wrong to have there both currency prefix and suffix. You either use prefix, or you use suffix, you do not use both. I mean there should be "0.00 EUR" or "€0.00", but not both as on the image. In case of dollars it seems natural to have "0.00 USD" or "$0.00". The worst "look" is when you use currency such as CZK that has no prefix, but suffix only. I have defined the suffix as "K

23 answers to this question

OK, thanks. Disabling this worked well. I just now don't understand when it makes sense to have this setting "Show Currency Code" enabled.

If I have it enabled and have properly defined prefixes/suffixes then the final effect is bad as I described it. But when I remove all prefixes and suffixes (while having Show Currency Code enabled) then the prices (in the main part of the order form) are without any specification of currency. So this option is also bad. I can't think of a configuration when it does makes sense. Is there any?

You have the ability to control the prefix and suffix for each individual currency, as well as whether or not to display the currency code after the price. So you have the ability to configure every aspect of how currencies are displayed. What about that doesn't work for you?

The format is [prefix] [price] [suffix] [currency code]. You can set whatever you want for prefix and suffix per currency and enable/disable currency code. If you want you can include the currency code as part of the prefix or suffix of any currency.

Without currency code enabled:

$x.yz

$x.yz USD

x.yz

x.yz USD

x.yz$

x.yz$ USD

USD x.yz$

USD x.yz

USD $x.yz$ USD

USD $x.yz

With currency code enabled:

$x.yz [uSD]

$x.yz USD [uSD]

x.yz [uSD]

x.yz USD [uSD]

x.yz$ [uSD]

x.yz$ USD [uSD]

USD x.yz$ [uSD]

USD x.yz [uSD]

USD $x.yz$ USD [uSD]

USD $x.yz [uSD]

What about that doesn't work for you?

It is this case: "Show Currency Code" enabled and no prefix and no suffix defined. Then it looks like this:

pHpnT6I.jpg

You can see that Your Cart subtotal and Total Due is "0.00 USD", which is OK, but the item price "22.50" is without currency. If I want 22.50 with currency. I have to set either prefix or suffix and that will corrupt Subtotal and Total Due to "$0.00 USD" or "0.00 USD USD". So I can see no valid example with "Show Currency Code" enabled.

You can see that Your Cart subtotal and Total Due is "0.00 USD", which is OK, but the item price "22.50" is without currency. If I want 22.50 with currency. I have to set either prefix or suffix and that will corrupt Subtotal and Total Due to "$0.00 USD" or "0.00 USD USD". So I can see no valid example with "Show Currency Code" enabled.

As I said, you can disable display of currency codes and then set a suffix of " USD" for the currency. That should get you want you want. The reason why the listing of services does not display the currency code is because it is redundant. All prices displayed on screen for the order form are of the same currency -- always.

I'm sorry, I really do not understand your logic:

The reason why the listing of services does not display the currency code is because it is redundant.

Yes, and it is completely normal in all shops I have ever seen that currency codes, symbols, prefixes, suffixes, whatever you call them, are displayed even if the shop does sell only in one currency all of its items to all of its customers. Displaying currency symbols is not like writing a code, redundancy is not bad here.

If I go to http://www.amazon.co.uk/ then on that main page there are many items and all of the prices have this "redundant" £ in front of them. I know amazon is not a good example here (but try http://host-unlimited.de/ for better example), but displaying this "redundant" information is normal from my point of view and for me it does not make sense to list a price of an item without a currency code or symbol. This is why I say that I can see no valid example with Show Currency Code enabled. And as "valid" I mean something that would look "normal", "usual", "common".

I'm sorry, I really do not understand your logic:

Yes, and it is completely normal in all shops I have ever seen that currency codes, symbols, prefixes, suffixes, whatever you call them, are displayed even if the shop does sell only in one currency all of its items to all of its customers. Displaying currency symbols is not like writing a code, redundancy is not bad here.

If I go to http://www.amazon.co.uk/ then on that main page there are many items and all of the prices have this "redundant" £ in front of them. I know amazon is not a good example here (but try http://host-unlimited.de/ for better example), but displaying this "redundant" information is normal from my point of view and for me it does not make sense to list a price of an item without a currency code or symbol.

You're confusing currency code with currency prefix/suffix again. Like I said, only the currency code is not displayed for package price listings on order forms.

This is why I say that I can see no valid example with Show Currency Code enabled. And as "valid" I mean something that would look "normal", "usual", "common".

If you want prices listed as:

x.yz USD

Do the following:

1. Disable display of currency codes
  2. Edit USD currency, remove the prefix and set the suffix to " USD"

That's all you have to do.

I know that solution and it works well, thank you.

However, this is not what I am talking about. My question is this: Is there any valid scenario with Show Currency Code enabled? I am asking because I do not see any working combination here with this enabled.

I know that solution and it works well, thank you.

However, this is not what I am talking about. My question is this: Is there any valid scenario with Show Currency Code enabled? I am asking because I do not see any working combination here with this enabled.

That question is relative and depends entirely on your business, locality, and whether or not you process multiple currencies.

I take it as NO.

OK, so I think there is a bug that in case Show Currency Code is enabled, the currency codes are not displayed in the list of services.

For an unknown reason you do not think this is a bug because "there is a chance that there might be a valid scenario for this, but you can't really imagine it".

So could you please at least ask an unbiased third person to check whether this make any sense to him/her? If you can't find one, please ask Paul. Thanks.

Are you wanting currency code on the left "big red" cost on the left and then only the suffix in the cart window on the right?

I can imagine that Show Currency Code setting might make sense if the currency code is displayed everywhere - i.e. big red. I can't see why enabling such a setting would make Blesta display the currency code "only somewhere". It just makes no sense to me.

I take it as NO.

What you're asking is equivalent to asking "When does it make sense to invoice a customer on August 14th?" It completely depends on your business.

If I was running a company in North America and did business with the US and Canada I would enabled currency codes for display because both countries use "dollars" ($), but the values are which are completely different, therefore necessitating the display of the currency code to differentiate the two.

OK, so I think there is a bug that in case Show Currency Code is enabled, the currency codes are not displayed in the list of services.

This is not a bug because that's how it's designed to work.

For an unknown reason you do not think this is a bug because "there is a chance that there might be a valid scenario for this, but you can't really imagine it".

No, it's not a bug for the aforementioned reasons. And you've already accepted that you can configure things to work how you want them to, so why do you persist with this silliness?

So could you please at least ask an unbiased third person to check whether this make any sense to him/her? If you can't find one, please ask Paul. Thanks.

Paul was involved in the decision making on the reason to exclude the display of currency codes from the package listings of the order forms in order to remove redundancy.

Just because you don't like the way something works does not a bug make.

If I was running a company in North America and did business with the US and Canada I would enabled currency codes for display because both countries use "dollars" ($), but the values are which are completely different, therefore necessitating the display of the currency code to differentiate the two.

Thank you, you have just described the case I was asking about.

So, we have a business that deals with USD and CAD and this is why the $ prefix would not be sufficient. OK, that makes sense. Now would you use prefixes or not?

Thank you, you have just described the case I was asking about.

So, we have a business that deals with USD and CAD and this is why the $ prefix would not be sufficient. OK, that makes sense. Now would you use prefixes or not?

Yes, I would always use a prefix (e.g. $).

OK, so you would use $ for example.

Now you would have

"$1.50" on the left in the services list and "$1.50 USD" on the right in Your Cart. So far so good. After a while your company expands and you start dealing with Czech Republic for example. We have Czech Koruna here as a currency and its code is "CZK" and it has no prefix and a common suffix is "K

Now please let me suggest following. How about having that currency code displayed in services list too (or like everywhere where we deal with currency) in case Show Currency Code is enabled?

Could you explain why this is a bad solution? Which particular use case would not work? What would be wrong?

OK, so you would use $ for example.

Now you would have

"$1.50" on the left in the services list and "$1.50 USD" on the right in Your Cart. So far so good. After a while your company expands and you start dealing with Czech Republic for example. We have Czech Koruna here as a currency and its code is "CZK" and it has no prefix and a common suffix is "K

Now please let me suggest following. How about having that currency code displayed in services list too (or like everywhere where we deal with currency) in case Show Currency Code is enabled?

It's redundant for me to keep saying this, "Because it would be redundant".

Could you explain why this is a bad solution? Which particular use case would not work? What would be wrong?

"Because it would be redundant".

$5.00 USD

$25.00 USD

$16.00 USD

$15.95 USD

Why do I have to keep saying "USD" for every price when everything displayed on that page is in USD? That's the definition of redundant.