update 4.5.0 to 4.5.1 license invalid

SinOjos

Question

When I initially did the update patch from 4.5.0 to 4.5.1 blesta stopped working completely. I over wrote everything with the full install version 4.5.1, and it started working again. But now not able to login, because of invalid license key. I get the to enter the key page, but entering the key does not work.

What is suggested?

It is a new install, I can re-install from scratch but would rather avoid that if possible. As I would have to reconfigure everything.

I have no idea what happened. Never had this problem before. I have played around with a dev install for sometime. Recently installed for production use, did not have any problems last update, never had a problem with license key, and now does not work with recent update.

I have the feeling I am going to have to do a clean install.

7 answers to this question

Just moved the install to a different server. It works fine now.

Must of been some weird coincidence that what ever happened, happened while doing the update.  That activity must have been the straw that broke the back. This server was for Blesta only, though I did have two light websites temporarily on this server. Certainly was not working hard, so who knows what happened. Some PHP files must have got corrupted

Years ago it was common for amazon aws instances to just go bad, nothing could be done, delete and start up new one. Netflix spent a lot of time trying to figure that one out, and never did, per their blog. Only solution was delete instance start new one. Even though a lot of people and companies like Netfix have experienced data corruption, amazon aws has never admitted that data corruption ever happened. I have not had a server failure that necessitated deleting and starting a new one in a couple of years.  I suppose I was due.

Sucks when something happens and there are no logs to even point in what direction. Specially when it happens while doing an update, as it appears it is a problem with the update. Fortunately building a new server is a trivial matter. I would much rather rebuild a server than rebuild Blesta.

Do you have a ticket open? When you updated from 4.5.0 to 4.5.1 did you apply the patch originally or the full version? There's nothing in the update that should cause the error you received, unless it was a coincidence and your license hadn't been validated in quite some time.

When you updated to 4.5.0 was everything working fine? Did you run /admin/upgrade to upgrade the database? If it was working fine, and was upgraded properly, then applying the 4.5.1 update should be fine. However, you could pretty easily roll it back by re-uploading the 4.5.0 release, or restoring from backup. Does it work if you do that?

Hi Paul,

No open ticket. I initially attempted the update with the patch, since there were so few files, did not think there would be a problem. Blesta was completely down after applying the patch, nothing not even an error message, no contact what so ever, blesta was like it did not exist at all. Overwrote with full version, and started working again. But now all I get with admin login is the license invalid page. I input the license key, but does not work. When I have time, will revert back to previous backup and attempt updating again.

A little back ground. I have blesta behind varnish cache & haproxy which does ssl termination. Also, all traffic other than http goes through the nat server, standard setup with amazon aws vpc. All ports other than what is needed are filtered. Has the ports used for license validation changed or are things routed differently now?

Sorry I have a busy day, with numerous meetings today and this week. Therefore I am not going to be able to apply the time towards figuring this out that I would like to in the next couple-few days. Fortunately there is no time critical reasons to get this straightened out immediately. I currently have this Blesta install for a product that will offered sometime in the future. So plenty of time to figure this out without any client impact.

I am wondering if perhaps I experienced some data corruption. In the past data corruption was somewhat common with amazon aws vps's. Been a number of years since I have seen any, nevertheless there is that possibility.  I have been having some issues with some instances needing to be rebooted more often than usual over the past few months, with no evidence of what has been causing the failures. Of course amazon aws support is not helpful  at all.

Anyways, I am starting to transition over to Docker. Anyone build a docker image for Blesta yet?

Having a docker image for Blesta would be great, as all the service providers other than amazon aws are now offering attractive pricing for running a docker image, rather than having to run a full blown vps.

22 hours ago, SinOjos said:

Hi Paul,

No open ticket. I initially attempted the update with the patch, since there were so few files, did not think there would be a problem. Blesta was completely down after applying the patch, nothing not even an error message, no contact what so ever, blesta was like it did not exist at all. Overwrote with full version, and started working again. But now all I get with admin login is the license invalid page. I input the license key, but does not work. When I have time, will revert back to previous backup and attempt updating again.

A little back ground. I have blesta behind varnish cache & haproxy which does ssl termination. Also, all traffic other than http goes through the nat server, standard setup with amazon aws vpc. All ports other than what is needed are filtered. Has the ports used for license validation changed or are things routed differently now?

Sorry I have a busy day, with numerous meetings today and this week. Therefore I am not going to be able to apply the time towards figuring this out that I would like to in the next couple-few days. Fortunately there is no time critical reasons to get this straightened out immediately. I currently have this Blesta install for a product that will offered sometime in the future. So plenty of time to figure this out without any client impact.

I am wondering if perhaps I experienced some data corruption. In the past data corruption was somewhat common with amazon aws vps's. Been a number of years since I have seen any, nevertheless there is that possibility.  I have been having some issues with some instances needing to be rebooted more often than usual over the past few months, with no evidence of what has been causing the failures. Of course amazon aws support is not helpful  at all.

Anyways, I am starting to transition over to Docker. Anyone build a docker image for Blesta yet?

Having a docker image for Blesta would be great, as all the service providers other than amazon aws are now offering attractive pricing for running a docker image, rather than having to run a full blown vps.

Make your own docker image? We did :), but we are using it for development environments. Our production environment is a 'full blown vps'. I don't know why you would want to introduce the limitations of docker for your production billing system. If you want to save money that bad, maybe don't use AWS.

I played around this morning going to a 4.3.2 backup then login, then replaced files with the updated 4.5.1 files which kept me logged in, and did the upgrade process. I think I am having some kind of php issues. As I had temporarily thrown a couple of small php sites on this server, and they were down as well, when blesta was not working. Moved those to a different server. 

I am back to the license invalid page.

It was weird, as even attempting to run a clean new 4.5.1 install, it would not run, have no idea why, no errors, just nothing, nothing worked. It also borked so bad that it affected every other website on that server. To the point that I had to do a couple of reboots before I could get the old backup to work. It is most probably something with this server. I am running the amazon ami.

Soon as I have some time in the next few days, will build a new server. 

Yes did the hotfix for php7.0.

coreyman, perhaps you do not understand the AWS pricing. To run just a docker image is expensive with amazon aws. If you run an ec2 instance with their docker ami, then it is the same price as running their vps ami. 

https://aws.amazon.com/fargate/pricing/

per vCPU per hour    $0.04048 x 730 $29.5504 per month

per GB per hour    $0.004445 x 730  $3.2485 per month

Total: $32.7989 per month

A t3 micro reserved instance is $103 for 3 years = $2.8611 per month - For what ever reason, it is much cheaper to run a vps than just a docker image with amazon aws. My reserved instances come up later this year. So looking at going to Google and running just docker images rather than a vps. Haproxy has an official docker image, while there are numerous varnish docker images around, though real easy to make a varnish docker image. 

The amazon ami has not updated varnish or haproxy in a number of years. Therefore it is necessary to compile and install, then deal with dependencies, which also do not get updated. Check the forums, there are many complaints about amazon not updating their ami. Same kind of issue  with any Linux flavor, you are always dependent upon the maintainer for updated packages. If I have to compile/install then deal with dependencies, I would rather just build a docker image.

Google and others allow running only the docker image for the same price as a full blown vps. The advantage to running just the docker image, is that there is no need to deal with OS updates, improved security, less overhead, as there is one less intermediary OS providing for a closer to metal relationship. Running clusters utilizing docker swam configurations and kubernetes allows for easy control of clusters. You need to take a look at what is being run as dockers now. Docker is a wide spread solution to many of the problems to running a full blown vps. It is widely accepted and used in production environments. You should read the Kurbernetes docs and read up on the Google white papers on docker/kubernetes deployments. The gaming industry has really taken advantage of dockers. Everything is being run from dockers, some server clusters have thousands of containers, there are great advantages to doing so. https://kubernetes.io/docs/setup/cluster-large/

https://docs.docker.com/engine/swarm/

https://kubernetes.io/

Your snarky response coreyman which  was not helpful in anyway, post whore perhaps, clearly shows that you do not know as much as you think you know. Here is one of my write up's, on building and cross compiling a Gentoo install for the Arm processor in a distributed cross compiling environment with amd64. I have been at the cli for 38 years, I deal with cluster environments on a daily basis. Going to a docker image for use in a cluster environment is advantageous in so many ways compared to running vps, it is not even funny.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Banana_Pi_the_Gentoo_Way

Many application developers are starting to release a docker image, while some now only release a docker image. As it eliminates all the issues with people running various flavors of Linux. While every flavor of Linux can run a docker image.

The advantage of Blesta releasing an official docker image. Would be that everything needed to run Blesta would be included, php, apache/nginx etc. Which would eliminate the issues people have with the various php versions, and or wacky configurations of various flavors. The Blesta developers would have full control over every aspect. User only needs to spin up the docker image to run Blesta, updates would become a trivial issue.

Discourse only releases docker images. 

https://github.com/discourse/discourse

Why do you only officially support Docker?
Hosting Rails applications is complicated. Even if you already have Postgres, Redis and Ruby installed on your server, you still need to worry about running and monitoring your Sidekiq and Rails processes, as well as configuring Nginx. With Docker, our fully optimized Discourse configuration is available to you in a simple container, along with a web-based GUI that makes upgrading to new versions of Discourse as easy as clicking a button.

Many Linux packages are now also released as a docker image. Blesta should take a look at releasing a docker image.

6 hours ago, SinOjos said:

Many Linux packages are now also released as a docker image. Blesta should take a look at releasing a docker image.

I feel like most php web applications don't ship a docker container as there are plenty of dedicated hosting setups for php.  I also think that it has to do with the fact people are very set in how they like to mange their setups.  Either using nginx+php-fpm, apache+mod-php, or some other combo.  After that you need to setup your web server with the appropriate ssl values as well as anything else which may be specific to your deployment requirements.  This makes it not an easy task for the developer of the application to ship a docker image that works for most people.  On top of that, Blesta seems to have a very limited team size.  Having something to maintain outside of the application itself would probably make many people a bit irritated as there are many features that have been promised and not yet delivered.