Plesk Onyx & Blesta

BigBlockStudios

Question

I have had a hosting server for years and years now, several hundred accounts, and now it's time to stop doing the billing manually....  I started testing WHMCS over the past few months and have thrown away several months subscription fees and several days of testing/support on it only to find out today that there is no way to migrate client accounts from plesk into WHMCS.

GRRRRRR. 

So I am looking to test Blesta here & was looking for input from the community as to what challenges they have had integrating Blesta with a Plesk (Onyx) server. 

1. Plesk and WHMCS do not work at all when installed on the same server, too many restart issues too many errors too many operations not getting completed. (it gets worse if you try to run WHMCS as a fast_cgi module the graceful restart will actually fail and you wind up with a bunch of 500 errors.) 
Does Blesta have these same issues or is it happier on it's own server 

2. You cannot create a user in WHMCS that already exists in Plesk. A duplicate user will be created. 
Does Blesta have this issue as well?
Is there an import/migrate script/tool available to get Plesk(Onyx) data into Blesta?
I have not tested, but I suspect this is true of trying to associate subscriptions/domains that exist in Plesk with accounts in WHMCS.

3. I use Stripe as a CC gateway, has anyone had any major issues using stripe & Blesta?

4. I use opensrs/tucows as a domain name registrar.  I do not see them in the module list.  is OpenSRS supported or is anyone aware if there is a module in the works?

5. Is prorata billing supported? it does not work AT ALL in WHMCS.

6. Are services provisioned immediately after a user buys a package in Blesta? WHMCS says theirs are but they are truly "NOT" an order still has to be manually accepted before the customer has access to their control panel. )even if they paid with a credit card) 

ANY other challenges anyone has had integrating Blesta and Plesk(Onyx) - I would be very grateful to hear.  I spent way too much time on WHMCS to find myself down another rabbit hole :)

-thanks

-sean

1 answer to this question

On 3/8/2019 at 4:20 PM, BigBlockStudios said:

I have had a hosting server for years and years now, several hundred accounts, and now it's time to stop doing the billing manually....  I started testing WHMCS over the past few months and have thrown away several months subscription fees and several days of testing/support on it only to find out today that there is no way to migrate client accounts from plesk into WHMCS.

GRRRRRR.

I think with whatever system you go with you are going to run into this problem. Migrating between billing systems is usually supported, but migrating data from a module, like Plesk, into a billing system is usually not supported. A script could certainly be written to perform this migration, but Blesta does not currently have an automated way of creating Blesta clients and services from Plesk data.

1. Plesk and WHMCS do not work at all when installed on the same server, too many restart issues too many errors too many operations not getting completed. (it gets worse if you try to run WHMCS as a fast_cgi module the graceful restart will actually fail and you wind up with a bunch of 500 errors.) 
Does Blesta have these same issues or is it happier on it's own server

We don't recommend having Plesk and Blesta on the same server for the same reason that Plesk will restart before notifying Blesta that it provisioned a service, and so Blesta will never know about it. With the graceful restart function enabled, I haven't encountered any problems, but if you search the forums you may find some that have issues and others that don't.

2. You cannot create a user in WHMCS that already exists in Plesk. A duplicate user will be created. 
Does Blesta have this issue as well?
Is there an import/migrate script/tool available to get Plesk(Onyx) data into Blesta?
I have not tested, but I suspect this is true of trying to associate subscriptions/domains that exist in Plesk with accounts in WHMCS

I'm not sure I fully understand the issue with creating users, but that may be a limitation of WHMCS. Blesta usernames and Plesk usernames are typically different. If you intend to use the Plesk account's username as the Blesta client's username, that is certainly possible assuming there are no other users in Blesta with the same username.

As mentioned above, I am not aware of any third-party Plesk importer, and Blesta does not provide one.

3. I use Stripe as a CC gateway, has anyone had any major issues using stripe & Blesta?

The current Stripe payment gateway does not use tokens. This is largely not a problem, but apparently there is a setting in your Stripe account that needs to be checked in order to accept payments in this way.

4. I use opensrs/tucows as a domain name registrar.  I do not see them in the module list.  is OpenSRS supported or is anyone aware if there is a module in the works?

Blesta does not include an OpenSRS module, but there is a third-party integration of it. I have not used it.

5. Is prorata billing supported? it does not work AT ALL in WHMCS.

Yes. A service can be prorated on order (e.g. to the first of the month) as defined on the package template. Services are also prorated when you upgrade/downgrade to another term or package.

6. Are services provisioned immediately after a user buys a package in Blesta? WHMCS says theirs are but they are truly "NOT" an order still has to be manually accepted before the customer has access to their control panel. )even if they paid with a credit card)

This depends on what you mean by "immediately". Blesta does not install a daemon on the server, so it does not spin off separate processes to run immediately. Instead, services are provisioned by cron, which you setup on your server to run every 5 minutes. Therefore, a service can be provisioned automatically within 5 minutes. You can have orders wait for manual review if you would like, but that is configurable.

I hope that helps.