Blesta Have Option To Create Quote/estimates ?

alexistkd

Question

Quotes aren't in here yet, but more and more people have been asking about it. We have been trying to decide whether to build a quote system into the core, or build it into a more advanced, project management system.

Personally I think it would probably be better in project management. Anything I'm going to make a quote for is some type project.

Quotes aren't in here yet, but more and more people have been asking about it. We have been trying to decide whether to build a quote system into the core, or build it into a more advanced, project management system.

Personally I think it would probably be better in project management. Anything I'm going to make a quote for is some type project.

I agree, but maybe a simple quote system for core, and the project management expands it?

We would love to see a quote system as well. We're looking to defect from WHMCS and the quote system is a big part of our web design business. We started using the WHMCS quote system a little over a year ago and we're now up to 1300 quotes. One of the big downsides to the WHMCS quote system is, it does't let you assign prospects to a group (WHMCS doesn't support multi-company) so, you have to turn to a third-part module for that.

For us to move all of our web companies over, we would need a quoting tool that sends a prospect a link to view and accept the quote and once that quote hits the system, the ability for us to convert it to an invoice with the option to split it if needed. As you can see, a quote system should not be tied to a PM system since it needs more features that it seems.

Thoughts?

We would love to see a quote system as well. We're looking to defect from WHMCS and the quote system is a big part of our web design business. We started using the WHMCS quote system a little over a year ago and we're now up to 1300 quotes. One of the big downsides to the WHMCS quote system is, it does't let you assign prospects to a group (WHMCS doesn't support multi-company) so, you have to turn to a third-part module for that.

For us to move all of our web companies over, we would need a quoting tool that sends a prospect a link to view and accept the quote and once that quote hits the system, the ability for us to convert it to an invoice with the option to split it if needed. As you can see, a quote system should not be tied to a PM system since it needs more features that it seems.

Thoughts?

Sounds good, I like the idea of splitting a invoice. You can on Blesta by deleting a line or editing a value and create a new one with the other values.

Paul and I recently had a discussion about quotes on the ride home. I believe the conclusion we came to is that it will not be part of the project management system (though it will be tightly integrated with it). It may be added to the core or offered as a stand-alone plugin instead. I fancy the plugin idea myself.

We're still working out all the specs.

Paul and I recently had a discussion about quotes on the ride home. I believe the conclusion we came to is that it will not be part of the project management system (though it will be tightly integrated with it). It may be added to the core or offered as a stand-alone plugin instead. I fancy the plugin idea myself.

We're still working out all the specs.

:D wicked mate, sounds good.

On Blesta you have "Draft" option, just change in language file to "Quote" and you will have a Quotes invoice :)

That's an option! :)

Going to be working on a mass mailer and affiliate system, but maybe after that I can spec out the quote system. It will be a little more advanced that renaming drafts.

That's an option! :)

Going to be working on a mass mailer and affiliate system, but maybe after that I can spec out the quote system. It will be a little more advanced that renaming drafts.

Can't wait, I know we spoke before and you had mentioned planning the ability to save a shopping cart link for someone via the admin panel, hopefully that feature will be include in the quote system? :)

If you do that, how do you email the quote to the client? 

Blesta doesn't make that easy, like it does for all other invoices. I think to prevent a staff member from accidentally sending a draft invoice to a client. Maybe it would make sense to add a setting to allow draft invoices to be emailed/faxed from the client profile just like all other invoices.

Thanks Cody. Definitely makes sense not to send draft invoices to clients. Would probably work better to have a third option for quotes, so regular invoices and quotes could be emailed, but drafts could not. The only difference needed would be the text on the email that is sent to the client. That would also make it easy to convert a quote directly into an invoice.

I like Cody's suggestion to allow draft invoices to be manually sent from the client profile. Perhaps they can be flagged in some way, such as a pop-up asking you to confirm that you want to send a draft invoice.

Personally, I don't need a whole quote system, as I only do this once every year or two. Sending a draft would work fine for me. Call it a quote, if you'd like, but the intent is the same, which is to mutually agree upon a final price. Once agreed, the draft is converted into a regular invoice for payment.