cPanel increases price best alternative?

MDHMatt

in almost every forum this is the hot talk

there are many alternatives to this, even considering support of automation from blesta

the paid panels inculde - directadmin, plesk, interworx

the free ones include - centos-web-panel, vestacp, virtualmin, ispconfig, cyberpanel

ispmanager and imscp are also there

on a lighter note, why not wait for the blesta team to release a control panel...

cPanel is the best and rich features control panel in the hosting industry without any doubt, the old prices was totally affordable and insane, other panels less features offering thier panel with the same price as cPanel or a bit cheaper, with the new pricing cPanel want to make a distinct with it and other panels, but the decision to make pricing based on accounts was a catastrophic decision for all web-hosting companies.  a lot of them will search a alternative as the new pricing will lead to pay a big amount every year, in our case the new pricing will lead us to pay 2000$ yearly more than the old prices . we don't count our dedicated/vps clients .

some companies like OVH has announced they will review and make a decision next week against the new cPanel pricing, if cPanel lose those big companies they will lose a big profit and big partners, and this decision will return a negative results .

either cPanel will review their pricing again with adding a unlimited plan price and remain the leading software for the hosting industry, or we will show some old control panel take the market profit from cPanel, until 1-9-2019 sure we will see more episodes in this price model decision .

We actually did a survey and sent it to all our customers which use cPanel, surprisingly they'd still rather use it and pay extra. So we have updated our pricing and see how things go in terms of new customers and retaining our current ones.

Hopefully cPanel will have second thoughts but its not looking likely from looking at their cPanel forum they havent replied to any comments in regards to the announcement. I suppose the staff that operate the forum are thinking the same.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello blestars :blesta:

My 2 cents on this mater :) 

We are ditching cPanel for good, mass migrations servers to Virtualmin, the Virtualmin handle 100% cPanel Backups restore witout any issues and so we only need to point the DNS's to the new servers :)

We only made a few changes on Virtualmin. On Webmin, we add ports 2096/2097 to redirect to Usermin port 2000 and 2086/2087/2082/2083 ports to Virtualmin port 10000

We also pré-installed on the hostname phpMyAdmin and RoundCube with the Mobile Theme (
https://github.com/messagerie-melanie2/Roundcube-Plugin-Mobile) to all users have normal acess to a known Webmail and MariaDB Database managment :) (Virtualmin alredy bring there own DataBase Managmente and Webmail software). and add a Link on Usermin Painel to open RoundCube Webmail

Finally we add CSF Firewall like so:

cd /usr/src
rm -fv csf.tgz
wget https://download.configserver.com/csf.tgz
tar -xzf csf.tgz
cd csf
sh install.sh

- Install the csf webmin module in:
Webmin > Webmin Configuration > Webmin Modules > From local file > /etc/csf/csfwebmin.tgz > Install Module (sometimes because the webmin cache we have to make this step twice)

After you install the module, you can simply log in to Virtualmin, chick on Webmin (top left) and then: System > ConfigServer Security & Firewall

Also we add PHP verions 5.4, 5.6, 7.2 (now by default virtualmin alredy brings php 5.4 and 7.2) 

#we install remi repository to add more php versions and modules
yum install http://rpms.remirepo.net/enterprise/remi-release-7.rpm
yum install php56 php56-php-bcmath php56-php-cli php56-php-devel php56-php-fpm php56-php-gd php56-php-mbstring php56-php-mysqlnd php56-php-opcache php56-php-pdo php56-php-pspell php56-php-xmlrpc php56-php-memcached php56-php-iconv php56-php-zlib php56-php-mcrypt php56-php-simplexml
#you cann add/remove extensions abose :)

We also add ioncube like so:

cd /usr/local
wget https://downloads.ioncube.com/loader_downloads/ioncube_loaders_lin_x86-64.zip
unzip ioncube_loaders_lin_x86-64.zip
rm ioncube_loaders_lin_x86-64.zip

And add to php.ini on Virtualmin the line for exemple for php7.2

zend_extension = /usr/local/ioncube/ioncube_loader_lin_7.2.so

To start migrate you can do it on Virtualmin GUI or on CLI, on CLI (https://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/id%2Cvirtualmin_for_cpanel_users) you can make a batch file with mass import in a very easy way like so:

virtualmin migrate-domain --type cpanel --source /home/cpanel_username_backup_file.tar.gz --user cpanel_username_here --pass 'cpanel_username_password_here' --webmin

#for multiple just add a .sh file with a somethin like this:

virtualmin migrate-domain --type cpanel --source /home/cpanel_username_backup_file1.tar.gz --user cpanel_username1_here --pass 'cpanel_username_password1_here' --webmin

virtualmin migrate-domain --type cpanel --source /home/cpanel_username_backup_file2.tar.gz --user cpanel_username2_here --pass 'cpanel_username_password2_here' --webmin

virtualmin migrate-domain --type cpanel --source /home/cpanel_username_backup_file3.tar.gz --user cpanel_username3_here --pass 'cpanel_username_password3_here' --webmin

#and so on...

Its more easy and less troblen then DirectAdmin, Plesk or even Interworx

Common problems after migration:

#Error 500
.htacess file with the directive "Options +FollowSymlinks" just comment that line

#Rong php version (client can change PHP on Virtualmin painel)

#Some notes for anyonw that never try Virtualmin/Webmin

Virtualmin/Webmin (port 10000) Root = WHM (so many features that in the first time we "lost" inside, but the more time we spent the more you will likeit, its a lot better and more mature then cPanel)
Virtulmin/Webmin User (port 10000) = cPanel (A lot more options than cPanel)
Usermin = Webmail (but with a loit more option like POP/IMAP external emails sincronizing and SPAM filters more advanced than cPanel)

The only thing is that dosent support CloudLinux (its not a downside) and dosent support Softaculous (Virtualmin has is own Software inside that you can add toyr own scripts or buy the Pro License that is 200$ per year with unlimited accounts)
The GPL verion dosent support Reseller accounts, but you can bypass this if you dont want to spend now any money, just creat on Webmin New users with permissions to only acess there clients accounts, is like a Reseller accouny but witout any limit on creating, or do it like us and create for each reseller a VPS or CLOUD server for that reseller maybe is cheper than buy a Virtualmin Pro license, on this critical fase :) 

Any problems or any douths you can ask me and I will try to fill in ;) 

P.S- We are migrating more than 5k clients from cPanel to Virtualmin and we have tested a lot Virtualmin since last year iin migrations and compability (we have several CLOUD on production with dozens of clients with CentoS 7 + Virtualmin), because of our new CLOUD platform that we have created. 

• 3 months later...
On 11/2/2019 at 10:13 PM, benet said:

Vesta CP the free and Best cpanel installation guidelines watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVex_qMQNZY&t=63s

not really best

you got many options

also to quote, since around 5+ years, in their roadmap, they have been pushing behind the ipv6 implementation

for this simple issue, i wont consider it best

but "free & simple", "yes"

and there you go

cwp, ispconfig, and many more, i recommend (vesta too, but ofcourse not the best)

• 3 weeks later...

One factor not mentioned here so far is security. RACK911 Labs just did a security audit of alternative control panels and the results are enlightening!

I was thinking about going with CWP or CyberPanel before I read this. After reading it, I decided to go with DirectAdmin instead. (I can't comment on it beyond that, as I haven't switched yet.)

15 hours ago, Kal said:

One factor not mentioned here so far is security. RACK911 Labs just did a security audit of alternative control panels and the results are enlightening!

I was thinking about going with CWP or CyberPanel before I read this. After reading it, I decided to go with DirectAdmin instead. (I can't comment on it beyond that, as I haven't switched yet.)

That's a really good article, kudos to Rack911. Thanks for sharing!

On 11/21/2019 at 10:50 AM, Kal said:

This for the information...I also have huge hope for CyberPanel as their panel UI is really users friendly comparing another any free panel version.

On 11/22/2019 at 5:52 AM, Paul said:

That's a really good article, kudos to Rack911. Thanks for sharing!

No worries! I was just checking out Blesta as I consider whether to automate my billing (for a small number of clients), and signed up to the forum when I saw this discussion, as I thought the Rack911 audit could help others here. (Blesta looks great BTW.)

22 hours ago, webhostingux said:

This for the information...I also have huge hope for CyberPanel as their panel UI is really users friendly comparing another any free panel version.

Yeah, sounds like everyone (Rack911 included) had high hopes for it! What a shame they developed it without the necessary security focus or knowledge. For me, this means paying license fees I thought I could save by moving away from cPanel… ? but I figure it's just not worth compromising on security with web servers.