Universal Module vs custom module opinions

Mariano

Hello,

I wanted to know what are your toughts in a situation like mine. I am having a few web apps (SaaS) and the subscription is managed from Blesta. I have only 1 set right now, and I manage packages and actions (create, upgrade, suspend) from Blesta using Universal Module (that calls a bridge in the application server). I am going to add the other apps to Blesta but i have a doubt. 

Which one is a best practice for this? Add all the applications to the Universal Module or create a custom module for each application? In terms of flexibility in the future, better organization, prevent future problems, etc. What are your thoughts about it?

Another detail, is that probably (if at some point some stuff in the multi-company functionality changes) I would split the apps in diferent companies, and the universal module is too attached to the company for what i see.

Thank you,

regards.

Having a specific solution is very useful, so if you can have a unique module dedicated to the management of each of your SaaS apps, then all the better. That makes it easier to manage changes granularly. The Universal Module (or even the None module) is there to use when you don't have a specific module or don't need one that is more complex than collecting a few extra fields and notifying you of an event.

It sounds like your solution right now may be to use the Universal Module until you create separate modules for your applications. Whenever you do that, you can make the packages using the Universal Module inactive, stop using them, and maybe even write an importer that will move them over to your other custom module. Whatever you decide to do will come down to what is the best trade-off for your business to pursue long term.