Replacement for mcrypt?

MrRenegade

Question

image.thumb.png.b9ac6b5a6e0e0dfe2843bfda83e07775.png

Its not recommended to use mcrypt on PHP7.3 because its deprecated as of 7.1..

The mcrypt extension is included in PHP 5.4 through PHP 7.1. It was removed from PHP 7.2 and moved to an unofficial PECL extension because the mcrypt library is no longer maintained.

For PHP 7.2+, PHP instead uses libsodium as a cryptography library. New PHP code should be written to use libsodium rather than mcrypt.

First big question is if leave it out am I going to run into bad problems?  Because its recommended for performance reasons and honestly If I have to toss a few extra cores on the VM to deal with the performance difference then so be it.  I'm just wanting to make sure things are going to work if I leave it off.

Suggestions?

6 answers to this question

22 hours ago, MrRenegade said:

image.thumb.png.b9ac6b5a6e0e0dfe2843bfda83e07775.png

Its not recommended to use mcrypt on PHP7.3 because its deprecated as of 7.1..

First big question is if leave it out am I going to run into bad problems?  Because its recommended for performance reasons and honestly If I have to toss a few extra cores on the VM to deal with the performance difference then so be it.  I'm just wanting to make sure things are going to work if I leave it off.

Suggestions?

Things will work without it, just falls back to slower encryption methods. It's not likely you will notice anything, the most obvious is key generation during initial installation. If you get through installation without a time out, you'll be fine.

So I tested and the install went pretty fast, didn't have any noticeable pauses or spots that it looked like it was thinking real hard.  I watched TOP on the server and it didn't even blink an eye at the install less than 4% total load.  Maybe I tossed too much hardware at the server?

Thanks for the response, Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be missing out on functionality or cause a major problem down the road if I didn't use it.