System Specs

DandyDandy

Hi,

I stumbled upon a "fun stuff" topic which the Blesta guys created showing Blesta v3 running on a Rasberry PI so this brought my mind to a light bulb moment to see what others are using to run Blesta on. I personally don't like running any billing system in a "typical" shared environment like a cPanel server for obvious reasons so I run mine using a quality VPS from a provider I know who maintains good security with good hardware as such I only get 256MB Ram with a few GB's of diskspace but this being a premium solution it does me happy as I can customize almost every aspect of the environment used.

I guess as a fellow "nerd" I love getting the most BANG out of a low resource system this small VPS server currently runs a production website with the production billing system which is WHMCS along side my production ready Blesta installation (Without corporate data). It has Virtualmin/Webmin installed and Xcache but the corporate website only used that since I don't use it on the billing system as excluding the admin folder from it's usage is a nightmare so it doesn't play nice.

More than anything I can confirm that Virtualmin/Webmin + Blesta will happily churn along using a 256MB Ram VPS if your prepared to get your hands dirty the most basic modification is prepping Virtualmin for a low ram environment secondly a more performance based web server such as Nginx then of course some caching. I also moved DNS offsite and disabled "bind" since this was a performance killer plus I wanted a true name server setup for a more global performance factor.

242.96 MB total, 157.44 MB used

The next tweak I wish to do with my current system is removing Xcache and start using APC since with this setup I can use the "apc.filters" and exclude files/directories I do not want to be cached such as the "admin" folder this should hopefully be a VERY nice setup once it's all complete but untill then am curious what others are doing :)

Very nice! I'm a fan of getting things to work optimally with few resources. Then, just scale it up as you need.

For a HA setup, heartbeat with 2 dedicated servers is a good way to go. I have set up a couple applications similarly in the past and it works pretty well.. The only issue I've had besides the pain in resyncing MySQL from slave back to master after a failover is failover flapping with heartbeat when there is an issue with the switch or router on the public network. With 2 servers I usually just use a crossover cable for the private network for heartbeat.

Very nice! I'm a fan of getting things to work optimally with few resources. Then, just scale it up as you need.

For a HA setup, heartbeat with 2 dedicated servers is a good way to go. I have set up a couple applications similarly in the past and it works pretty well.. The only issue I've had besides the pain in resyncing MySQL from slave back to master after a failover is failover flapping with heartbeat when there is an issue with the switch or router on the public network. With 2 servers I usually just use a crossover cable for the private network for heartbeat.

I'll be trying a true HA setup in the future with a number of virtual machines using Webmin and it's Heartbeat module. I quite like using virtual machines because there easier to re-deploy in catastrophic failure.

Just don't use Apache that is a overkill of an overkill for one or two domains :)

it's running cpanel and apache...just becaues that was the default install and there was plenty of resources to not care.  I am planning on adding/switching to nginx when I get around to it though...it's not high on the priority list though since the only thing that's on there is my main site and it's working excellently as is anyway.

it's running cpanel and apache...just becaues that was the default install and there was plenty of resources to not care.  I am planning on adding/switching to nginx when I get around to it though...it's not high on the priority list though since the only thing that's on there is my main site and it's working excellently as is anyway.

That's good to hear. Virtualmin/Webmin has a free Nginx module which allows for easier Nginx administration :)

• 2 weeks later...

A 512M/1G Vswap openvz VPS running Nginx (centminmod) works very well.   it runs in about 270Meg as we also installed an Imap server as well to handle email.  It is a very weak CPU powering the node so not much needed here.  OK, we don't really stress it either and we are planning on mirroring this setup and creating a HA cluster with another VPS of the same Specs.