Is It Possible To Add Physical Products?

Clare

Hi, 

I am setting up a store for myself, but also will be setting one up for a client who has a high volume of physical products. I'd like to know if I can add images and text descriptions to each product. I believe there is no limit to the total number of products I can add, is that correct? 

Edit: Is there a plugin for this? What would be the easiest way to do this?

I'd also like to find out how to add images and text to each product. 

Thank you so much!

Clare

Edit #2: Okay, I think you add them as Packages, and in the WYSIWYG editor you can add the images and descriptions? Anything else I should be knowing about it?

Thank you!

Edit #3: Sorry for this :) Is there a module or plugin for configuring shipping options? 

Thank you!

Edited by PayItForwardHost

there is no module for shipping options (at the moment), Blesta is more of a billing software...not really meant to be an all-inclusive ecommerce solution...while I certainly don't want to say don't use Blesta...if you want to run a storefront with physical items...an ecommerce script would probably work out better for you...

Physical products that need to be shipped out are likely better suited for a shopping cart like Magento. There are a few things that would need to be added to Blesta to give better support for physical items.

1. Ability to sell "one time" items that don't stay listed as active services.
  2. The ability to check out without having an account.
  3. Ability to request separate shipping information, and management interface changes to track this
  4. Tie ins with shippers like UPS/Fedex/USPS
  5. And probably some more stuff

You could fudge it and make it work, but if you're doing any kind of volume I'd suggest a shopping cart like Magento.

Well, I kind of assumed that there would be a way to do this. I don't know why. I would use Magento, but it costs $15,000 per year and I don't want to give my client that kind of bill when I already sent them a quote.... Is there any other solution that you know of that would work well?

Thank you, 

Clare

Well, I kind of assumed that there would be a way to do this. I don't know why. I would use Magento, but it costs $15,000 per year and I don't want to give my client that kind of bill when I already sent them a quote.... Is there any other solution that you know of that would work well?

Thank you, 

Clare

Magento is free if you host it yourself...

there is also dozens (maybe hundreds) of free ecommerce software out there.

Personally, I find Magento a pain in many instances, both from a user and developer perspective. It is enterprise software, so it is loaded with all kinds of things that you may never use or work with, but the basic stuff like creating products, managing orders, etc. are pretty easy.

You could also look into Opencart. Fewer features, but a little easier to use.

I have used Magento quite a bit, and I'm with Tyson in his opinion.  If it is just for a smaller website, I would go with something else...while Magento is a very nice, and highly customizable option..it is VERY bulky, and if not optimized correctly can bring even the best server to it's knees. (unless they've changed this, I haven't used it in about 3 years now...)

I normally go to Opencart or Prestashop...I like them both quite a bit.

Nah, it's for a bigger website. But thanks for the advice. I will use it in the future. I really like Blesta. I'm going to use it for my own company to administer customer invoices for web design and web hosting services. Looks like I'm going to have to go with another option for my clients. 

Thank you!

Edit: Most of my clients' websites are small and would only need a small ecommerce system, but this one is outgrown for those smaller systems. 

Thank you!

http://simplecartjs.org/  This is a basic script (which does allow for some configurable options etc) that simply sets up an order for paypal, there is no back-end for clients to login etc, but it gets the job done and looks pretty good. 

Codecanyon.net has lots of php/ajax scripts for maybe $15-$25 some have been in development for a few years and work pretty well, you just need to play around with them. And typically things on codecanyon aren't widely used so it may make the site a bit more unique, just watch out for security issues. 

I agree with everyone else on magento, it really can be a pain sometimes but it will get things done. 

• 10 years later...
On 11/4/2013 at 11:58 AM, AllToolKits.com said:

@PayItForwardHost

Do you need any help with your ecommerce web? Please send me a PM.

On 10/31/2013 at 9:08 PM, Clare said:

Hi, 

I am setting up a store for myself, but also will be setting one up for a client who has a high volume of physical products. I'd like to know if I can add images and text descriptions to each product. I believe there is no limit to the total number of products I can add, is that correct? 

Edit: Is there a plugin for this? What would be the easiest way to do this?

I'd also like to find out how to add images and text to each product. 

Thank you so much!

Clare

Edit #2: Okay, I think you add them as Packages, and in the WYSIWYG editor you can add the images and descriptions? Anything else I should be knowing about it?

Thank you!

Edit #3: Sorry for this :) Is there a module or plugin for configuring art shipping options? 

Thank you!

I hope this feature is added now.