Moved to another server now Virtualmin does not work

AlecBarnes

Question

Hi all,

I may be missing something, I've moved my installation to another server (Ubuntu 18.04) to ( Debian 10)  and need to edit my Virtualmin Module settings.

So into modules and manage Virtualmin, change details then setup a new package for it and no templates , nothing works.   I can't remove it either.

The module can not be uninstalled because it is used by one or more active packages.

Looking at another package it tells me I cannot edit it as it is in use by a service using Virtualmin. I am only in testing so check services - nothing active - 6 tests cancelled

Cannot remove the module - It's in use by a package

Stuck

I just checked my cron and I'm seeing this at the end: ** Ignore**

PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught UnknownException: Unknown: [CLOSED] IMAP connection broken (server response) (errflg=2) in Unknown:0
Stack trace:
#0 [internal function]: UnknownException::setErrorHandler(8, 'Unknown: [CLOSE...', 'Unknown', 0, NULL)
#1 {main
  thrown in Unknown on line 0

The above was related to IMAP port, fixed by using 143

Any ideas?

Thanks

6 answers to this question

When you setup a package for the module, and you see no templates loaded from VirtualMin, you should take a look at the module logs. There may be an error with the API request described there which could point you toward the issue. Since you moved to a new server and changed the VirtualMin module settings, it's possible the module connection details are no longer valid, or that the new server cannot connect to the VirtualMin server due to a configuration issue such as a missing permission, non-white-listed IP, lack of support for TLS 1.2, etc.

The logs have nothing in modules, went around in circles for a few hours, services in use > all cancelled > remove virtualmin module > cannot because services are in use!  Removed client from database, no difference, removed services from database etc etc

Start again :)   from scratch but log steps properly until it bugs again.

Thanks

Alec

It could be of course, although it seems odd as Blesta is on the same server as virtualmin. Anyways it works again now.

What concerns me though is the original issue, all of the services using virtualmin were cancelled with no outstanding invoices but I could not remove virtualmin from the packages or uninstall it in modules as it told me

It's in use by active services. What if I changed panel, would I need to recreate all of my packages.

image.png.3f931b20835581f6476e8f331695ec55.png

image.png.801f182a5feb41a07498d8af212e4a82.png There are one or more services using this package

image.png.d797d36188b907a11d25b4ed2f3b53e8.png

I'm not sure about that particular issue, but the system tries to maintain data integrity by forbidding deletion of certain records, like packages, when services exist that reference them. We plan to update this to allow a soft package deletion when services still exist, canceled or otherwise.