Making development easier for gateways, modules, and plugins

Jono

At Blesta we want to be developer friendly.  We put strong emphasis on open code, clear comments, logical file structure, and a powerful API to try to give developers as much power, flexibility, and clarity as possible.

However, I've noticed in recent times that the learning curve can be a bit steep for developers getting started with Blesta. In addition we've seen comments saying that development can take a significant amount of time and people may get burned out or give up.

That being said, we'd love to hear from the Blesta developer community or those interested in joining us.  What we be the most useful ways to help you get started and continue developing on the Blesta platform?

These are some of the things I was considering:

1. More clear API docs for input
  2. More clear API docs for return values
  3. Generic code templates on github for Plugins, Modules, and the various Gateway types
  4. More events for Plugin's to tie into
  5. Video tutorials (Topic Suggestions?)
  6. Some sort of large FAQ
  7. A utility/wizard for generating a stubbed out extension (Complete)

Let us know if you support any of these measures or have ideas of your own on how we can help.  If you don't have a solution, but have a problem that bothers you or slows you down in development, leave a comment (a nice one :P) and perhaps someone else will have a good suggestion for how we can resolve it.  We are grateful to all those who support us and have shown interest in the product.  It truly warms my heart to see all of those who help each other out both here on the forums and in the discord server.

the documentation is the biggest issue i have. it requires a lot of implied knowledge on blesta, which i do not have as i am not the creator.

And everything, including blesta staff, just keep saying look at the other modules and what they did. well what if they did not do what i want to do?

I gave up developing a module for our service 2 years ago. i thought i would give it another try. But i am just about to give up again and scrap the idea of having a blesta module for our resellers.

12 hours ago, PixelPaul said:

the documentation is the biggest issue i have. it requires a lot of implied knowledge on blesta

If I'm understanding this right, you are saying that it does not make clear what tools are commonly used and available to the module?  Do any of my above suggestions address the need you are expressing?

On 5/7/2020 at 10:55 AM, Jono said:

More events for Plugin's to tie into

for me the 4 point, this is not only for plugins but also for core specially the Pre/Post actions. 

for other part, the docs in first time was not a really strong enough to help me make addons, but i have learned for blesta source code and the practice that make from us a long time .

• 4 months later...