Store 'From Email' addresses for each department

Kal

The email templating system pre-populates the 'From Email' fields with addresses like billing@yourdomain.com and sales@yourdomain.com. If you install Blesta on a subdomain, you'll get email addresses that look something like billing@blesta.yourdomain.com, when you probably want billing@yourdomain.com. Or maybe you want something different, like accounts@yourdomain.com. Either way, the only way to fix this appears to be to manually edit the From address in each and every template. (See where others have asked about this: From emails how to change?Problem With Sending From Email Address and Wrong Email.)

Could Blesta not store an email address for each department (admin, billing, sales, support), much like it stores email signatures? It might also make sense to link a default 'From Name' and Signature to each department, so you only have to specify the address (or the department) and everything matches up automatically. (As if to illustrate the potential for mistakes, when these details aren't linked, the default Account Registration template is from Sales, but the From Name is set to 'Billing Department'.)

I'm not sure what you are asking. When you say departments I think support departments. Do you mean different mailboxes within the company, like sales@ billing@ etc? Are you just wanting a simple way to update all email template from addresses without editing each independently?

For most who install at a subdomain it's a minor inconvenience, having to edit each template and change the email address. It takes about 5 minutes to edit all of them and update. But after that, it's not likely they will need to change.

Best way I can think of to improve this is to add an option to simply mass update all email templates to use an address or a domain specified.

Yes, when I said 'departments', I wasn't specifically referring to Blesta's feature for categorising support tickets—rather the actual departments they refer to in your business. They are the common link aren't they, between these currently unconnected elements in Blesta? A simple table of corporate departments could contain the email address, signature and even the support category (Department) for each one.

While I suppose you're right—it doesn't take that long to go through and change each template—wouldn't this still be an improvement? Is there a good reason to leave it as is, and require the user to update the same email address repeatedly throughout the system? That approach invariably leads to human error, as illustrated by one or two inconsistencies in Blesta's own default templates. This is what relational databases are supposed to save us from, no?

On 7/31/2020 at 2:52 AM, Paul said:

Best way I can think of to improve this is to add an option to simply mass update all email templates to use an address or a domain specified.

Perhaps my suggested feature would break things for existing users. If that's the case, sure, giving users the ability to simply change the domain used for email addresses would be an improvement. You could even make it recognise subdomains and choose the main domain by default, since probably 99%+ of users are going to use email addresses like billing@yourdomain.com, not billing@blesta.yourdomain.com. Edit: I just noticed that this was requested here: Update Global Email Address.