Support tickets fail to send with emoji

Kal

Entering an emoji into a support ticket message (by either client or staff) causes the Reply/Update to fail. There is no error given—just a blank screen. (I'm testing on macOS, using the standard character panel to insert emoji.)

4 minutes ago, Paul said:

Can you check your Blesta logs under ../logs_blesta/ to see what the error is? I'm assuming it's a MySQL error, but the text of the error would be helpful.

It may make sense for us to look into adding emoji support to the ticket system.

I just tried it and indeed it's a MySQL error. SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1366 Incorrect string value: '\xF0\x9F\xA4\xA0' for column 'details' at row 1

Emoji support would be good. I'm surprised this hasn't come up before—I just assume many people would try inserting emoji, so I tested it.

Failing that, could you just strip out any non-recognised characters so that the message still goes through?

On 8/2/2020 at 6:36 PM, Kal said:

Emoji support would be good. I'm surprised this hasn't come up before—I just assume many people would try inserting emoji, so I tested it.

Failing that, could you just strip out any non-recognised characters so that the message still goes through?

We've already created a task for that CORE-3791 :)