Shared Login Plugin

Cody

There have been a number of threads lately with users asking how to create a shared login system with Blesta. That is, how to log a user into Blesta from Joomla, or Wordpress, or some other system.

Since the plugin to do such a thing is so simple, we decided it'd be best if we just create the plugin. So I spent the last 45 minutes or so working on it, and it's about 90% complete. It just needs the management capabilities to configure the shared secret value from within the plugin management interface, and a little more testing.

Look for it on Monday, November 25.

UPDATE: The plugin is now available. Extract to /plugins/.

Documentation on using the shared login plugin can be found here.

shared_login.zip

Wow! Such great news :)  And the plugin is released tomorrow? Fantastic! :)  

As a new Blesta client, I appreciate the fact that time has been invested to create the shared login module.  I will be deploying it soon as I can download it :) 

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Makes my life considerably easier :)

The login is based on the username of the customer?

If in the portal (joomla, wordpres, etc...) the customer have the username "Pippo" it can access (into Blesta) to the account owned by "Pippo"?

If into Blesta the username "Pippo" is assigned to "Pamela Anderson" and in the other system the username "Pippo" is assigned to "Jenna Jameson"?

I'm wrong or Jenna Jameson has access to the account owned by Pamela Anderson?

The login is based on the username of the customer?

Yes.

If in the portal (joomla, wordpres, etc...) the customer have the username "Pippo" it can access (into Blesta) to the account owned by "Pippo"?

If into Blesta the username "Pippo" is assigned to "Pamela Anderson" and in the other system the username "Pippo" is assigned to "Jenna Jameson"?

I'm wrong or Jenna Jameson has access to the account owned by Pamela Anderson?

Users don't always have the same username across all systems, so you will need to store the user's Blesta username in that other system in order for them to log in. If both systems use the same email address for their username this can simplify things. As long as you properly keep track of usernames across systems you should never have a problem where you let user A log into user B's account.

See using the shared login plugin for details.

• 2 months later...

For the non-coders among us, are there any specific examples on how to integrate the shared login plugin in to Wordpress, Joomla or Drupal (particularly interested in the AJAX option)?

Until there are drop-in plugins for Wodpress, Joomla, and Drupal, integrating will require knowledge of programming, or access to someone with knowledge of programming to perform the integration.

• 3 weeks later...

Question about the logic here...

This plugin is used to log a username IN TO a blesta account for them, so they don't have to log in separately from ANOTHER system?

- OR -

Is this meant for Authentication purposes, where if the user is NOT logged in to the specified username, then they will be directed to a log in?

I like the plugin and have a use for it either way, but some of the documentation seems to be assuming that the end user has a clue! I'm always c0nfused-- theyconfuse.me/online  :P

Please clarify this for me; Thanks!

Question about the logic here...

- OR -

I like the plugin and have a use for it either way, but some of the documentation seems to be assuming that the end user has a clue! I'm always c0nfused-- theyconfuse.me/online  :P

Please clarify this for me; Thanks!

The plugin simply provides a single URL that does the following:

1.  Redirect to Blesta

2.  Login to Blesta with username that was used to login to 3rd party application

3.  Redirect back to 3rd party application

So if a user named 'c0nfused' logged into a 3rd party application such as Wordpress they would automatically be logged into Blesta.  It only works one way so if the user logs in through the Blesta login screen they will still need to login to Wordpress manually.  If you're referring to yourself as the end user then yes you would, as Cody mentioned, need to integrate the examples that he provided into your application.

Big thanks, Cody, for writing this!

• 6 months later...

I just tried this out with the redirect option and when I got redirected to the blesta url login page all it showed me was the directory contents of the folder for that plugin. I followed the docs as per: http://docs.blesta.com/display/user/Shared+Login

Ok, seems that was because I was sending it to plugins and not plugin; however I fixed that but now I get a blank page when I am redirected to the blesta URL.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I hate to go off on a rant here, but why does it seem that all things Blesta are half baked?  I mean wouldn't it make sense to make a joomla or wordpress plugin so this (Shared Login) could actually be used?

I purchased a lifetime license for blesta hoping I could replace WHMCS. But every time I try to find a use for Blesta all I do is hit a wall. I guess if your not doing simple shared hosting don't waste your money on Blesta. Slow development and pretty much unusable.

(*&@&@(*#&@()*#&)(*

To me it doesn't make sense for my billing software to be writing software for other CMS's.  I would rather have them focus on what they are supposed to be doing, billing. The blesta API gives you almost complete access to do whatever you need to do in order to interact with blesta.  Now I can make sure everything is secure, as in theory, I will know my CMS of choice better then the blesta team so I can properly secure my plugin and make sure it is 100% compatible with any oddities I may have in my system.  I would rather have someone who knows my system well then just putting a bunch of plugins together and hoping for the best.

I'm not sure what type of integration plugin you are looking for. It sounds like you want a plugin that adds the login hook for you? What do you consider "popular CMS's" there are a ton out there.  I would guess wordpress, drupal, and joomla but really that list can go on.

Well you could atleast try to support the most popular CMS's.  Or you could move to open source, then people would expect a half baked billing solution. I myself don't like spending money for a product I can't use without having to pay other programmers to get it where it needs to be. 

Supporting 3rd Party CMS integration has nothing to do with a billing system.  It's normally those 3rd Party CMS's that start that integration process, not the other way around.

Blesta 3 is only about a year old, and I'm 100% happy that the devs are not wasting their time on doing stuff like this.  It's a billing system, their focus should be on making the BILLING features top notch, and then worry about integration with 3rd party applications later...specially applications like CMS's that aren't specifically related in anyway.  Integration with domain resellers, payment gateways, etc...those are things that a billing system SHOULD have...integration with CMS's?...completely optional and not required.

The product works just fine, I think it's your expectations of what should come with a BILLING system is what's flawed.

And your mention of open source, you do realize that Blesta is already 99%+ open source right, the only thing that isn't open source is the licensing files...and it's way more than "half baked".  Blesta is built around a plugin/module system for a reason...and that is to make it easy for the open source community to do exactly the types of modules you are wanting.

Here is a github link to a blesta shared login for wordpress.

I would say it is usable but far from complete. I'm not really sure what features you would need it to do as I don't have any sites that are currently running wordpress that need to integrate with blesta.

https://github.com/mrrsm/blesta-shared-login-wordpress