domain registration package

galaxy

Question

I'm struggling to figure out how domain registration works in blesta.  I've been writing an SRSPlus plugin and I also use eNom for some domains.

I see how I can import my current services and connect them to the modules, mostly.  But I can't see how it's documented as to how it all ties together.

Currently with OBAS, I have a "Domain Registration" package for all registrations that I manage for my customers.  I'm now just using 2 domain plugins (I had 3 but I've removed OpenSRS).  Each TLD that I sell is associated with one active plugin for new registrations and transfers.  Renewals use whatever registrar currently handles the domain.  Each TLD has its own pricing that I set based on the cost of my selected registrar for that TLD.  When their prices change I can just change who I delegate the new registrations to for the affected TLD.

I can't figure out how to offer registration services without a different package for each TLD, which is obviously my mistake as it would be totally silly to do that...  I'm sure Im just missing something...

2 answers to this question

20 hours ago, galaxy said:

I'm struggling to figure out how domain registration works in blesta.  I've been writing an SRSPlus plugin and I also use eNom for some domains.

I see how I can import my current services and connect them to the modules, mostly.  But I can't see how it's documented as to how it all ties together.

Currently with OBAS, I have a "Domain Registration" package for all registrations that I manage for my customers.  I'm now just using 2 domain plugins (I had 3 but I've removed OpenSRS).  Each TLD that I sell is associated with one active plugin for new registrations and transfers.  Renewals use whatever registrar currently handles the domain.  Each TLD has its own pricing that I set based on the cost of my selected registrar for that TLD.  When their prices change I can just change who I delegate the new registrations to for the affected TLD.

I can't figure out how to offer registration services without a different package for each TLD, which is obviously my mistake as it would be totally silly to do that...  I'm sure Im just missing something...

It's recommended that each TLD have it's own Package, and all domain Packages be assigned to a single Package Group for domains. That's what the order form type "Domain and Other" expects. If you have a lot of TLD's, obviously that can be tedious. It is possible to have a single Package for multiple TLD's, but that pins their pricing to be the same. Some more details on how this is configured is in our Selling Domains guide.

The domain manager update we're working on will provide a pricing grid to simplify this process, and manage a Package per TLD automatically in the background.

I'm not sure the best way to handle re-directing of TLDs to different registrars, other than marking an existing package as Inactive and creating a new one for the TLD that uses a different registrar module. We might need to explore that scenario a bit more.

I don't know if this helps, if you have any specific questions or I missed anything please let us know.

I see, thanks.  So a package per TLD (which can run into many packages since I will offer everything available and more gTLD's are on the way).  You're potentially talking about hundreds to well over a thousand packages just for domain registration.  That may make package management difficult.

I did try that (package per TLD), but I was trying the domain only, so I used generic rather than domain+other, then had a ton of packages to choose from.  I'll try the Domain and other, but what if there is no "other"?  I get customers that just want to go in and by "my_domain" with TLD's .com, .net and .org or .info and park them until ready then go and buy hosting packages and tie them to the domains previously purchased.  This is the typical use-case.

So sometimes I want domain + hosting, sometimes domains only, other times hosting only using domains previously purchased or registered elsewhere.  

I'll see if I can use domain + other for domains only.

I just started reading about the domain manager and it looks like its scheduled for 5.0.4.  That's probably what I'm looking for...  Is there any expected  behavior or API to registrar modules required?  Like hooks/callbacks, specific functions, etc?