Shorter Urls

Ken

Question

I kind of wish we had cleaner URLs.

/plugin/order/main/signup/registration

/plugin/order/main/index/product-name

plugin, main and index all seem unnecessary for the purposes of the URL.  Obviously it's part of Blesta's code structure but I'm just curious if we can remove these parts of the URLs?

7 answers to this question

I suppose you can via .htaccess code, not sure how however I don't mind personally because they get the job done lol ;)

It's not something a can live without but a matter of preference.  I'm curious what that .htaccess code is without breaking anything.

You can setup routes in /config/routes.php. There's not much documentation to illustrate this, but the syntax is similar to htaccess rules.

Observe the warning when changing configuration settings:

BE CAREFUL!
Modifying these settings could have disastrous effects. Only modify these settings if you know what you are doing.

Well that's a start.  I see where to change it but am still unsure on what to change it to, especially with a disclaimer like that.  If you or Cody find time to make a suggestion it'd be appreciated.  Ideally it'd be nice if I could just shorten that registration URL down to /registration or /signup and then shorten the order URL down to /order/product-name. If that won't work then I'm open to other possibilities. I mainly just want to get rid of words like "plugin" and "index".

I agree with this, and would like to add my opinion that "short" URLs are important.  It would be good for Blesta to have a "enable short urls" or "enable url rewriting" function, sort of like how wordpress does it.  :)

Then make those long unwieldy URLs into nice-looking short ones.

Our current billing software (not Blesta, at the moment), we "solved" this problem by creating our own redirection script to handle incoming URLs, like this:

http://ourdomain.com/go/login  (Redirects to our customer login page.)

It's a bit clunky, but works ok.  Unfortunately, it isn't a permanent URL rewrite.. it's just a URL redirect.

It would be fantastic if Blesta could actually include URL rewriting into their code so we can have nicer URLs.