Same username across companies in Multi-company

Mariano

Hello, I open this thread to see if after 2.5 years there are some plans to solve this. The scenary:

- I have Blesta multi-company with 2 companies: "Company A" and "Company B". There are diferent brands that offers diferent services.

- Both companies have set "use email as username".

- John wants a service that is offered by "Company A".

- John, register in "Company A" using his email, "john@example.com". He starts using his services.

- Then John, finds a service he likes in "Company B".

- So John, try to register in "Company B" to buy the service using his email, "john@example.com".

- The register system of "Company B" says to John that can't use that email, because it is in use.

- So, John thinks: ohh, maybe I have an account in "Company B", so I will try to restore my password for login.

- Then John discovers he can't restore his password, he can't use his email, he dont understand why because it is his email and is confused.

Sorry for the imaginary story, I try to explain the problem in the most clear way possible for me. No plans to do something about it?

I never was able to finish implementing Blesta because of this. I the real life we have situations like this. I want to start using it, but with this i am not sure we can. Is the only thing I see as a problem, in multi-company. If they are diferent companies, users must be able to use his emails in any of them.

I hope is clear my situation and I hope someone can see this problem too!

Thank you,

regards!

Hello! We have a task to allow users to have access to multiple client accounts, potentially cross-company. It's likely it will be cross-company. Upon login, a user belonging to multiple client accounts will have to choose which one to use. There hasn't been a ton of demand for this, and there are some details to work out, but it is something we are planning to do. See https://dev.blesta.com/browse/CORE-3942

On 7/6/2021 at 6:15 PM, Paul said:

Hello! We have a task to allow users to have access to multiple client accounts, potentially cross-company. It's likely it will be cross-company. Upon login, a user belonging to multiple client accounts will have to choose which one to use. There hasn't been a ton of demand for this, and there are some details to work out, but it is something we are planning to do. See https://dev.blesta.com/browse/CORE-3942

with my respect, allowing users to select wish company is a ridiculous feature. normally when we set multiple company is to separate things, and to make every company standalone and separated totally from the other company. normally the client should not know that the company X has  relation with company Y.

25 minutes ago, Blesta Addons said:

with my respect, allowing users to select wish company is a ridiculous feature. normally when we set multiple company is to separate things, and to make every company standalone and separated totally from the other company. normally the client should not know that the company X has  relation with company Y.

Thanks for the feedback. This would only be if the user was linked to multiple accounts. It would have to be a setting to allow this or not.

5 hours ago, Paul said:

This would only be if the user was linked to multiple accounts. It would have to be a setting to allow this or not.

if client X was signed in company A, and after he want to sign in company B it should allow them to send, even if the unique username is activated. the unique username should be effective in each company and should not be across multiple companies. for me it still has no sense to share clients between multiple companies, at least this is against GDPR law.

the only way to do this is to make it public in terms, something like envato network or google products, one login for multiple website, in this case that isn't multi-company as is multi services/products.

i vote to separate clients/usernames between companies, or at least a option to enable/disable this behavior.

12 hours ago, Blesta Addons said:

if client X was signed in company A, and after he want to sign in company B it should allow them to send, even if the unique username is activated. the unique username should be effective in each company and should not be across multiple companies. for me it still has no sense to share clients between multiple companies, at least this is against GDPR law.

I think these is the correct way to do this.

Regards.

• 1 year later...
16 hours ago, Mariano said:

Hello, I was just visting here after 1 year from the last visit and wondering if there is some plan to fix the username problem betwen companies in multi-company.

Maybe one day i will be able to start using Blesta and use the licenses I got ?

Regards!

We have a task CORE-3942 to allow a single login to access multiple accounts. This has not been in high demand, and the inability of a client to use the same username for multiple companies is not a bug. We'll take another look, it would be a nice to have feature. Would you be interested in sponsoring it?

Hello Paul,

thank you for the reply. The problem about it is that CORE-3942 is too big compared with my topic. Plus to it the multi-company part is potential, is not the main subject of these task.

The only issue i see is what i was trying to explain: if i have 2 (or more) companies (supposed to be diferent business units, is why there are separated systems, if they werent i would use only 1 company) and using email as username (customers uses email for login, as they do now) a pontential customer can only signup in 1 company using it's email.

Additionally it can cause confusion as to why he can't use his own email account or recovery his access (because it tells him it's already in use) if he never signed up for that service before (in the other businesses after the 1st in which it is registered). 

My stuff is not about sharing login or similar, managing multiple accounts, same credentials for diferent companies, is just what I try to remark. Except it fixes the issue.

I think customers credentials should be associated with a single company, so the username user1 (or the username email1@example.com) could exist in more than one company or not, each one with its password, regardless of who uses it, and not be related to each other, be independent. Because from their point of view, they are separate services (or companies, or businesses).

In short, limit the availability of usernames, and access in each company independently.

If this is what we are talking about, of course i would consider sponsoring it (I should see how that works). But if this is not what we are talking about it is not going to solve the problem I see. For me it is the bug of the multi-company system and maybe nobody uses it or found it but it works how I say now and I think is not ok. 

Anyway, I do not demand this. Maybe at some point the team can see it and agree :D.

Thank you again,

regards!