Internationalization: Configurable Address Formats

Max

• 1 month later...

This is something we've had on our radar for a while. I definitely want to include something like this. We did some research on different address formats in the past, but couldn't find solid information on any particular country outside the US, CA, and GB. Ideally we'd like to include address profiles for most countries, so users don't have to put so much effort into configuration (having to define address formats for 200 countries sucks).

Understandably, most users don't do business with most countries, but if we had a database of the top 30 or 40 countries that would be a big help in getting this done.

Here are the different address components:

• First name
  • Last name
  • Company name
  • Address line 1
  • Address line 2
  • City
  • State/Province (local name, ISO 3166-2 subdivision code)
  • Country (English name, local name, ISO 3166-1 2-char and ISO 3-char code)
  • Zip/Postal code

Some countries may not recognize ISO codes for province (I believe all do for Country), so it may be necessary to display province name instead of ISO code. These are all things that need to be decided on a per-country level (or perhaps even per province?).

• 11 months later...

hi, sorry for bringing back this old thread.

since i have been directed here, i guess it is alright to ask.

i am second day into blesta, and i am not sure what is CORE-1008 or which files/settings can i edit to remove this state/province as it doesnt not apply to my country.t

the link being suggested above is not working.

i am second day into blesta, and i am not sure what is CORE-1008 or which files/settings can i edit to remove this state/province as it doesnt not apply to my country.t

CORE-1008 is the To-do list number. CORE => It's part of the CORE of Blesta. and the number is the ID in the http://dev.blesta.com/browse/CORE to-do list

What is your country?

I see. So while Signapore does have ISO 3661-2 subdivisions codes, those codes are not used in addressing.

Same in most other countries outside of North America.

That we have provinces has to do with politics and management, the mail man wouldn't care less.

The ZIP codes of some countries include alphanumeric characters as well (1234 AB), and are used by the automated systems of the postal services to sort mail.

Including strange unexpected and unrelated province codes in the address will get those systems confused, and is a good way for mail to get delayed...

==

A somewhat related feature request -that could potentially be added to the same "international address format configuration" admin interface- is the option to add regex validation rules by country, for zip, phone number and address line fields.

http://www.blesta.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1624-internationalization-regex-checks-on-address-fields-depending-on-country/

Same in most other countries outside of North America.

That we have provinces has to do with politics and management, the mail man wouldn't care less.

The ZIP codes of some countries include alphanumeric characters as well (1234 AB), and are used by the automated systems of the postal services to sort mail.

Including strange unexpected and unrelated province codes in the address will get those systems confused, and is a good way for mail to get delayed...

==

A somewhat related feature request -that could potentially be added to the same "international address format configuration" admin interface- is the option to add regex validation rules by country, for zip, phone number and address line fields.

http://www.blesta.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1624-internationalization-regex-checks-on-address-fields-depending-on-country/

hi max,

thanks for the explanation. while i know the mail man wouldnt care much, but

i am not sending out by snail mail, hence whether or not the mail man cares isnt much of a concern, it just doesnt look too right with the additional (and unnecessary) information on my document. you know, you want important documents like this to look nice and right (how everybody else does it locally) before it reaches to your client.

so back to my question again, is there a workaround or can i do any modification to the php files, like just removing that variable?

• 5 years later...