API and customization

odin

Question

For those using Blesta, I have a couple of questions as I find the documentation extremely hard to follow. There are practically no examples of anything. They list the API's available but not even a REST example, same for hooks or add-ons. WHMCS has a very good documentation page that lists all available methods, each one with its proper basic example on how to use and available parameters.

How hard is it to add PHP code to a Blesta theme page? Can you add the code directly on the template, or it requires some special hook?

Can you create accounts directly from the API? Or can I create a ticket from the API? What exactly can or can't you do at this point using the API's?

Can you change for example the knowledge section to link to somewhere else? 

A domain manager is listed, but I cannot find anything in the demo how the domain ordering process works?

Can I add extra features to the domain section or my own add-ons on ordering?

I cannot find anything about the template system either. How hard is to add your own theme and customizations?

Reading from the feature request page, it seems you cannot even offer a free domain on a specific period while ordering, which is somehow concerning since this is a very basic feature with other billing systems.

I understand Blesta does not have all the features that WHMCS has, but does the billing part at least is on pair? While ordering, payments, automated billing, etc.?

If you are coming from WHMCS, how was the migration process? What is not imported, for example?

The biggest selling point for me is the open code format. But I basically need to use Blesta only for billing and ordering, this means I need to bridge and integrate it to an external system and move users back and forth. I did this with WHMCS, but not sure how hard this would be with Blesta. If the API is not available for something, can I just add the proper data to the database and expect it to work?

1 answer to this question

On 12/17/2021 at 12:49 PM, odin said:

There are practically no examples of anything. They list the API's available but not even a REST example, same for hooks or add-ons.

There are a few examples shown here https://docs.blesta.com/display/dev/API#API-Examples The API for Blesta is open, all public model methods including those of extensions can be accessed over the API. This makes it impossible to provide an example for every possible action, because it's so open. I'm sure we could use more examples, but we couldn't possibly cover it all because as we expand Blesta, the API expands automatically. 

How hard is it to add PHP code to a Blesta theme page? Can you add the code directly on the template, or it requires some special hook?

Very easy, you can use PHP code in the template files directly. /app/views/client/bootstrap/

Can you create accounts directly from the API? Or can I create a ticket from the API? What exactly can or can't you do at this point using the API's?

Yes, yes, and as mentioned there isn't much that can't be done given the architecture of the API.

A domain manager is listed, but I cannot find anything in the demo how the domain ordering process works?

The demo has not yet been updated to include the domain manager, I would suggest installing the free trial to evaluate. Within the demo, we cannot integrate with real registrars because of the nature of public demos.

Can I add extra features to the domain section or my own add-ons on ordering?

You can create both configurable options and addon packages for offering other things. Addon packages are useful if the addon should use its own module.

I cannot find anything about the template system either. How hard is to add your own theme and customizations?

Clone /app/views/client/bootstrap/ and give it its own name, then select it under Settings > System > Look and Feel > Template and make your changes.

Reading from the feature request page, it seems you cannot even offer a free domain on a specific period while ordering, which is somehow concerning since this is a very basic feature with other billing systems.

We recently released a lot of updates to domains and we aren't finished, there is more to come.

I understand Blesta does not have all the features that WHMCS has, but does the billing part at least is on pair? While ordering, payments, automated billing, etc.?

If anything, Blesta is not only on par for core billing functionality but exceeds WHMCS. They take a lot of shortcuts we do not take. In Blesta, changing a clients currency does not cause all preexisting transactions and invoices to switch currencies and maintain their values, for example. They have issues that just don't exist in Blesta.