Domain package group architecture

EuroDomenii

Question

Before jumping into domain package group architecture, I didn’t find a way to change the default value from interface https://docs.blesta.com/display/user/Domain+Manager#DomainManager-Advanced Here it says:

• Setting - TLD Package Group
  • Default value - TLDs Pricing Packages
  • Description - The package group to which all TLD packages will be assigned.

But there’s no such setting at admin/plugin/domains/admin_domains/configuration/?tab=advanced

Anyway, the default value is 1, in the company_settings table.
The setup workflow is somehow by design stealth, maybe for the benefit of non-advanced user setups. 

This default package group is hidden at admin/packages/groups/ ( becomes visible by Toggle filters with Show Hidden Package Groups ) 

By default, creating a TLD assign this domain package group via private function createPackage(array $vars), from plugins\domains\models\domains_tlds.php

// Set package group id
        if (!isset($vars['package_group_id'])) {
            $domains_package_group = $this->Companies->getSetting(
                $vars['company_id'],
                'domains_package_group'
            );

Let’s imagine the scenario in which I would like to have another domain package group, in order to set up a different order form.  

You would have to find the hidden package admin/packages/ ( by Toggle filters with Show Hidden Packages) , and assign a different group membership. 

The downside of working with different domain package groups from the company setting, is that you miss all the cron goodies. 

Let's take a look at the cron task from plugins\domains\domains_plugin.php ( listed in GUI at /admin/settings/company/plugins/settings/IdPlugin/automation/ ), the services are restricted to $settings['domains_package_group'] of the company

private function synchronizeDomains()

$company_id = Configure::get('Blesta.company_id');
        $settings = $this->Form->collapseObjectArray($this->Companies->getSettings($company_id), 'value', 'key');
        if (!isset($settings['domains_package_group'])) {
            return;
        }

// Find all domain services
        $services = $this->Services->getAll(
            ['date_added' => 'DESC'],
            true,
            ['package_group_id' => $settings['domains_package_group']]
        );

private function cronDomainTermChange()

// Find all domain services that do not have a 1 year pricing term
            true,
            [
                'package_group_id' => $settings['domains_package_group'],
                'excluded_pricing_term' => 1,
                'pricing_period' => 'year'
            ]
        );

private function cronDomainRenewalReminders()

// Fetch all qualifying services
                true,
                [],
                [
                    'services' => [
                        'package_group_id' => $settings['domains_package_group'],
                        ['column' => 'date_renews', 'operator' => '>=', 'value' => $start_date],
                        ['column' => 'date_renews', 'operator' => '<=', 'value' => $end_date]
                    ]
                ]
            );

Even the spotlight_tlds work only for one company domain_package_group.

if (!empty($spotlight_tlds)
            && $domains_package_group
            && $meta['domain_group'] == $domains_package_group->value
        ) {
            $this->view->set('spotlight_tlds', $spotlight_tlds);
        }

This was the very first one that caught my attention. Hacking by eliminating the condition $meta['domain_group'] == $domains_package_group->value would do the job, but , for the rest, it seems too much to hack.

private function addTldPackageGroup from plugins\domains\domains_plugin.php, // Check if there is a package group collision between all system companies, I would assume that, by design, there should be one package domain group per company.

Add a package group for hiding and managing TLDs

// Check if there is a package group collision between all system companies
        $domains_package_group = $this->Companies->getSetting($company_id, 'domains_package_group');
        $companies = $this->Companies->getAll();

foreach ($companies as $company) {
            $company_domains_package_group = $this->Companies->getSetting($company->id, 'domains_package_group');

if ($company_domains_package_group->value == $domains_package_group->value && $company->id != $company_id) {
                // A collision was found, unset the domains_package_group setting for the current company
                $this->Companies->unsetSetting($company_id, 'domains_package_group');
                break;
            }
        }

Including import package private function importPackage(

On the other hand, public function getSettings(array $vars = null) from plugins\order\lib\order_types\domain\order_type_domain.php, this takes into the account the other custom group.

// If the "Domain Manager" plugin is installed, then default to it's package group for domain order forms
        $domain_package_group = $this->Companies->getSetting(
            Configure::get('Blesta.company_id'),
            'domains_package_group'
        );
        if (!isset($vars['meta']['domain_group']) && $domain_package_group) {
            $vars['meta']['domain_group'] = $domain_package_group->value;
        }

In order to fit this architecture, I should assign all TLDs to a single domain package group. But, in this case, could I have different order forms for different domain groups? 

By design,  it seems that there is for each company only one TLD package group . I would enjoy the flexibility for a single company to have  multiple order forms with domains.

Thx! 

3 answers to this question

If I understand, you want to create different Domain Package Groups for different order forms? So that you can offer certain TLDs on an order form, and others on a different order form? Or have different pricing for TLDs on different order forms?

This is not currently supported, but might be something we want to look at. I can see this being useful, but in order for this to work there would need to be a way to "switch" between different domain package groups under TLD Pricing, so that when you edit TLDs it's for a specific group. Right now, only the 1 group is supported.

Am I on the right track? What's your use case for having multiple domain groups?

6 hours ago, Paul said:

So that you can offer certain TLDs on an order form, and others on a different order form? 

Exactly!

My use case is selling subdomains ( we’ve done a fork of generic_domains with internal whois).  This really needs a separate order form.

However, I guess that even separating order forms of new gTLDs versus classic TLDs, would be another use case. 

23 hours ago, EuroDomenii said:

Exactly!

My use case is selling subdomains ( we’ve done a fork of generic_domains with internal whois).  This really needs a separate order form.

However, I guess that even separating order forms of new gTLDs versus classic TLDs, would be another use case. 

I've created this task https://dev.blesta.com/browse/CORE-4586