Cryptocurrency Mining

cloudrck

I started mining bitcoins this weekend, wow the difficulty level has increased dramatically with these ASIC processors. I should have jumped on this bandwagon years ago.

Is there any interest in the hosting community for Litecoins (LTC)? Just curious, it seems to be the most popular altcoin.

Mining for bitcoin is extremely impractical unless you have a ASIC, if you want to mine with standard hardware, I would go with Litecoins and/or Dogecoin that both use scrypt.

Edited by cloudrck

And even then you have to get lucky from what I understand.

It's all about mining in pools. Consistent payouts. I've been using wemineltc.com for litecoin, and it's been going pretty well with just a couple GPUs. Not too serious, just playing around, but right now you can do about $100/mo worth of LTC on a single, decent GPU.

It's all about mining in pools. Consistent payouts. I've been using wemineltc.com for litecoin, and it's been going pretty well with just a couple GPUs. Not too serious, just playing around, but right now you can do about $100/mo worth of LTC on a single, decent GPU.

What is it after overhead would you say?

Hey you want to move our conversations to another off-topic category, I feel we are hijacking this guys thread?

What GPU do you use?

I just use video cards I already had, a Radeon 6870 in one and a geforce 660ti in the other. AMD cards are better suited for hashing. Combined I get almost 400Kh/s, which isn't a lot, but I haven't invested any $$ in it.

Yeah I bought my Radeon 7750HD for gaming a couple years back. I haven't had time to tweak anything and I just started a few days ago but I get around 135Kh/s using Cgminer on my Linux desktop. What mining software and settings do you use?

I use cgminer on one, and bfgminer on the other.

My cgminer settings are currently..

color 02

setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
C:\Users\User\Desktop\cgminer-3.7.2-windows\cgminer.exe --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://lite.wemineltc.com:3334 -u MY_USER -p MY_PASS -I 12

I have the intensity pretty low, so I can use the computer normally. This is the Radeon 6870, and I get about 160Kh/s on Windows 7. I'm certain I could probably tweak this around a bit to optimize it, though last time I tried I got the dreaded blue screen of death.

I use cgminer on one, and bfgminer on the other.

My cgminer settings are currently..

I have the intensity pretty low, so I can use the computer normally. This is the Radeon 6870, and I get about 160Kh/s on Windows 7. I'm certain I could probably tweak this around a bit to optimize it, though last time I tried I got the dreaded blue screen of death.

I got a low profile video card, so it doesn't have the "umph" the regular cards of my series have. Which one gives you better results, cgminer or bfgminer?

Mines are

export DISPLAY=:0
export GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS=1
export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=100

cgminer --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://lite.wemineltc.com:3334 -u cloudrck.1 -p x -I 13 -w 128 --shaders 512 --thread-concurrency 4000

I had trouble getting cgminer working on the other machine, so I have no idea if there is any significant different between the two. I would say, cgminer seems to be more widely used that bfgminer for litecoin but that's just my observation.

Check out https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison for recommended configurations for your video card. Depending on your specific 7750, it looks like you could get up to 180Kh/s.

I had trouble getting cgminer working on the other machine, so I have no idea if there is any significant different between the two. I would say, cgminer seems to be more widely used that bfgminer for litecoin but that's just my observation.

Check out https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison for recommended configurations for your video card. Depending on your specific 7750, it looks like you could get up to 180Kh/s.

Interesting, I may need to increase my voltages/OC a bit. I haven't increased my intensity past 13 yet. I may try before I leave tomorrow. Right now it's fine at 13 allowing me to use my desktop without issues.

I bumped up the engine clock from 800Mhz to 900Mhz, upped the voltage +0.025 and changed settings to

cgminer --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://lite.wemineltc.com:3334 -u cloudrck.1 -p x -I 13 -w 128 --shaders 512 --thread-concurrency 4000 

Now I'm getting 150Kh/s with a 4 degrees C increase in temperature at the moment.

I know the value fluctuates, but what about longevity and uses of alternative cryptocurrencies?

Bitcoin is picking up in lots of places and doesn't appear to be going anywhere any time soon... but what about the alternatives like litecoins (as referenced above)?

Will it have the lasting power like bitcoin and how long will it take for more businesses to accept such alternatives? It already seems to be taking an eternity for more larger businesses to accept bitcoins, now you want to add another one to the mix???

I know the value fluctuates, but what about longevity and uses of alternative cryptocurrencies?

Bitcoin is picking up in lots of places and doesn't appear to be going anywhere any time soon... but what about the alternatives like litecoins (as referenced above)?

Will it have the lasting power like bitcoin and how long will it take for more businesses to accept such alternatives? It already seems to be taking an eternity for more larger businesses to accept bitcoins, now you want to add another one to the mix???

Nobody can guarantee the longevity of any cryptocurrency. In the end, they are fiat currencies and all fiat currencies eventually fail.

However, litecoin is currently considered the "silver" to bitcoin's "gold", and LTC can be readily exchanged for BTC. Their success will depend in large part on their acceptance by merchants as a legitimate currency. It's too unstable for a lot of merchants to consider at the moment, but more and more companies are accepting BTC.

Personally, I don't plan on investing or mining any other altcoins, but considering the massive growth of both BTC and LTC, there may be money to be made on some altcoins. Cryptocurrencies are relatively new and the hype may be partially driving growth. It could all collapse, or it could continue to gain a tremendous amount of value. Time will tell.

I think the bottom line is, don't invest any money into cryptocurrencies that you won't be ok with losing.

It already seems to be taking an eternity for more larger businesses to accept bitcoins, now you want to add another one to the mix???

In order for any currency to catch on, there needs to be business and consumers that take the initiative to utilize them and make it a viable option.

Has anybody looked at the ASIC hardware platform for bitcoin/sha256 mining? I saw a $60USD USB ASIC miner that gets 1.6+Gh/s that uses 2Watts of power. So far there are no scrypt miners on the market, but there is a company that is releasing one soon.

Edit:

Just got an email saying Tigerdirect accepts Bitcoin

Edited by cloudrck

Has anybody looked at the ASIC hardware platform for bitcoin/sha256 mining? I saw a $60USD USB ASIC miner that gets 1.6+Gh/s that uses 2Watts of power. So far there are no scrypt miners on the market, but there is a company that is releasing one soon.

Edit:

Just got an email saying Tigerdirect accepts Bitcoin

1.6Gh/s is not enough. You will need something like this - http://www.butterflylabs.com/monarch/ which does 600Gh/s if you are serious about mining. ASICs for SHA256 have become very efficient, and when this starts shipping (very soon), the difficulty curve will make those 1.6Gh/s ASICs virtually useless.

Good news on Tigerdirect!

EDIT: I think I found the 1.6Gh/s miner you're talking about. People get USB extenders and run dozens of these on the same computer. Still, they may not be worth the $60 unless you can mine enough to buy something better, and resell them on ebay.

1.6Gh/s is not enough. You will need something like this - http://www.butterflylabs.com/monarch/ which does 600Gh/s if you are serious about mining. ASICs for SHA256 have become very efficient, and when this starts shipping (very soon), the difficulty curve will make those 1.6Gh/s ASICs virtually useless.

Good news on Tigerdirect!

EDIT: I think I found the 1.6Gh/s miner you're talking about. People get USB extenders and run dozens of these on the same computer. Still, they may not be worth the $60 unless you can mine enough to buy something better, and resell them on ebay.

That's what I was thinking. Seems I'm too late to the game with SHA256. I may stick with scrypt

Also, I should add my earlier settings gave me a high number of hardware(HW) errors. So I was wasting mining time.

This seems more stable @ 120Kh/s

export DISPLAY=:0
export GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS=1
export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=100
cgminer --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://lite.wemineltc.com:3334 -u cloudrck.1 -p x -I 11 -w 64 --shaders 512

I'm still not happy about that... I remember looking at Bitcoins at $13 per coin, but really no where (that I shopped) to spend it, so I didn't bother!! 

But I might have to look in to litecoins

I kick myself for not paying attention to Bitcoins when it was piratical to mine with common hardware. This is why I'm serious about Litecoin and may look into Dodgecoin.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2014/01/21/dogecoin-helps-jamaican-bobsled-team-in-its-quest-for-sochi/

• 2 weeks later...

Have you looked into making a plugin for GoCoin? It would cover Bitcoin and Litecoin? I'm looking at the API now.

Also, I ordered an AMD 290 from shopblt.com so I can do some real mining. Can't wait until it ships.

Haven't looked into GoCoin at all yet, awesome that they work with both btc and ltc. What kind of hash rate are you suppose to get with the 290?