Blesta Vs Whmcs

Dominick

Question

I decided back in May 2013, I was fed up with constant updates from WHM** and they used to be issued every night at 2am GMT - 4am GMT. They always broke patches and was slow on support. They also wasn't active on their forums and try to hide everything. Stop you from posting on their facebook, they are immature and to think I was a customer with them since 2008. 

Anyway yes I had enough of them and though right I need out. Why have a broken billing system. I was thinking about HostBill, ClientExec and Blesta, and thought which one was better... I then found out HostBill was just like WHM** and also based some of their code from it. So why would I move to the same system? So I put that out, I looked at Blesta's demo and looked at ClientExec's. ClientExec was hard to use and wasn't cheap.

I went to Blesta's and saw it was $99 owned unbranded license and a free upgrade to 3.x. I then saw they did a 30% off and thought I'd be cheeky and contact the guys at Blesta to see if I could use it to move from WHM** because I didn't have the full amount in my PayPal. I found out that the $99 was already a promotion and cheaper than normal from Paul and I thought yes I need to save up and use Blesta because it's perfect, it's secure and simpler to use.

I posted on our Facebook page that we was getting ready to migrate to a new system shortly. My mate Dave from FRH contacted me and asked which one I was considering since they was also thinking about moving from WHM**. Anyway they bought their license before me and I bought ours a few days after. 

Joining the forum and having a nice experience I knew I made the right choice... and when we got the Beta email to join the forum, I was on this new forum faster than you can say good bye. And I've never ever looked back. Best investment I've put into my business. And that's why I support Blesta and help other to move because it's so much better on this side and not the competitors who put themselves first and not their customers.

Hi,

We are currently deciding between blesta and whmcs and we have a hard time,

We like blesta but we also often read that due to the amount of modules available people often choose whmcs.

So, a question for the blesta community, why did you decide on Blesta? 

We as Company, can say that we are in Buisnesse since 1998, we manage serveral thousands Servers and Domains we have since 2004 went to:

WhmAutoPilot (2004-2006)

AWBS (2006-2009)

WHMCS (2009-2014)

(We have tested also in 2014, Hostbill, ClientExec and BoxBilling)

Blesta(2014-...)

Im not going to convice you by telling that WHMCS is Better or Worst, each client decide freelly :) but what can I say is this:

1º- Is there any outher software in this market that as almost every file open to make changes?

Blesta is the only One, so if Blesta dosent support some function or you whant to change something, you can do it without any problems. No other software in this buissness do this :)

2º- How many people use Blesta?

There maybe thousands, and its beginnig to grow every day, and with this latest 3.2 Version, and the upcomming 3.3, Blesta will became one fo the Best coded scripts out there for a Hosting Buisness :)

3º- Can I sleep at night with Blesta?

That we know, there isnt any flaw for now, like has appen with WHMCS in the last 2 years, (thats one of the main reasons why we have decided to try outher scripts)

Our Veredict:

• WHMCS = Good Design, Good Support, Lots of Modules, Bad Coding (there are bugs still present since 2010), No Open to Changes, Files Not Decoded, Price ok
  • BoxBilling = Good Design, Bad Support, No Open to Changes, Files Not Decoded, Dont Like the Price Model
  • ClientExec = Good Design, Good Support, Lack Some Modules and Feautures, Open to Changes but not quickly enought, Files Not decoded, Price ok
  • HostBill = Good Design, Bad Support, No Open to Changes, Files Not Decoded, Very Expensive
  • Blesta = Good Design, Good Support, Open to Changes, Files Decoded, Price Very Cheap for what is offered. (Dont forget that you can ask for a module or plugin that you need, and Blesta and all of us developpers will help you and build it ;) )

Think for your self, "what do I need that Blesta dosent have?" than if something is missing for you, tell us :)

I hope that helps you to dicide what is better for your case :)

Having lots of modules, plugins, and features is only nice if you actually need them.  If WHMCS does something that Blesta doesn't, and you actually *need* that feature... then go for it.  Use WHMCS.  (And be sure to let the Blesta developers know about the feature you needed, so they can be aware of it.)

Otherwise... if you don't actually need all those features and functions that WHMCS has... it is just software bloat and adds no real value to your business.  In that case, then you should choose the software that meets your needs, and gives you the best sense of trust and partnership. 

Do you trust the WHMCS company?  Do they seem like the kind of company you want to rely on for the most important and critical part of your business?  (Billing, customer management, etc...)

Software features is just one part of making the decision.  If you don't actually *need* the many features included with WHMCS, then why include those features in your decision?

Good points, electric. You've highlighted exactly why we've designed Blesta to be so modular and customizable.

Of course, I'm always surprised when people say Blesta is basic or simple, or otherwise lacking in features when compared to some other systems. It makes me smile, knowing we did a good job with not overwhelming the user. But it also means we may not be conveying all of the features of Blesta to users that are used to systems that have cut corners.

Take for example service terms. Most systems support one time, monthly, bimonthly, annually, and biannually. Blesta supports hundreds of thousands of possible terms!

Other systems supporting only email delivery of invoices. Blesta supports email, fax, and postal mail (yes, invoices that actually fit into double-windowed envelopes and can be printed through Blesta or mailed directly from Blesta)

Other systems have a basic API that was added as an after thought. Blesta's API automatically grows with every release, and with every plugin installed.

Multi-company,... the list goes on.

While I can definitely see how someone used to another system might notice some things currently unavailable, the net result is Blesta is more featureful overall; and growing daily.

There 

Good points, electric. You've highlighted exactly why we've designed Blesta to be so modular and customizable.

Of course, I'm always surprised when people say Blesta is basic or simple, or otherwise lacking in features when compared to some other systems. It makes me smile, knowing we did a good job with not overwhelming the user. But it also means we may not be conveying all of the features of Blesta to users that are used to systems that have cut corners.

Take for example service terms. Most systems support one time, monthly, bimonthly, annually, and biannually. Blesta supports hundreds of thousands of possible terms!

Other systems supporting only email delivery of invoices. Blesta supports email, fax, and postal mail (yes, invoices that actually fit into double-windowed envelopes and can be printed through Blesta or mailed directly from Blesta)

Other systems have a basic API that was added as an after thought. Blesta's API automatically grows with every release, and with every plugin installed.

Multi-company,... the list goes on.

While I can definitely see how someone used to another system might notice some things currently unavailable, the net result is Blesta is more featureful overall; and growing daily.

There is a "new player" in the market, that have tried to mix a litle of all billing systems (in some way it seems like Blesta with some mod's), also have released almost every files decoded, but seems that will be forgotten by what I have seen of the code and demos, it make me laugh  :lol:

Security matters to me and that's why I am with Blesta. I will be the first to admit that there are certain aspects that are frustrating when compared to WHMCS or ClientExec. The lack of features vs WHMCS doesn't bother me too much as the only "must have" (in my opinion) feature that appears to be missing is the knowledge base. That frustration could come from a place of just knowing WHMCS because I've used it / set it up so many times. 

Blesta is by far the easiest to develop for and it's extraordinarily well coded and well documented. The staff and dev team are much more responsive to questions and receptive to ideas/suggestions than any other competitor out there. Add that to the security of the product and I think you've got a winner.

Of course, I'm always surprised when people say Blesta is basic or simple, or otherwise lacking in features when compared to some other systems. 

I would say this response comes less from the backend & more from the customer facing side (the modules).  We are currently using the proxmox module & have had multiple complaints & support issues because it doesn't work very well.  Perhaps you guys should some type of dev bounty system for modules to encourage people to fix them up & share them with others.

I know I am currently re-writing most of the proxmox module & I have it in way better shape than what is default.

I would say this response comes less from the backend & more from the customer facing side (the modules).  We are currently using the proxmox module & have had multiple complaints & support issues because it doesn't work very well.  Perhaps you guys should some type of dev bounty system for modules to encourage people to fix them up & share them with others.

I know I am currently re-writing most of the proxmox module & I have it in way better shape than what is default.

The thing is mate, the Proxmox module wasn't developed by Blesta themselves directly, so they will probably fix it all up when they can but it works which is the main thing.

The thing is mate, the Proxmox module wasn't developed by Blesta themselves directly, so they will probably fix it all up when they can but it works which is the main thing.

It doesn't work though, so many pieces of it are semi-working. I think the "bounty" idea is fantastic. This project is not open source(blesta) if you want more contribution then offer a reward/payment system  and this panel will grow much faster. Features, attract customers. Look at all the comparisons between blesta vs whmcs you see the same responses over and over. Blesta is more secure, but whmcs has the modules x person needs.

It doesn't work though, so many pieces of it are semi-working. I think the "bounty" idea is fantastic. This project is not open source(blesta) if you want more contribution then offer a reward/payment system  and this panel will grow much faster. Features, attract customers. Look at all the comparisons between blesta vs whmcs you see the same responses over and over. Blesta is more secure, but whmcs has the modules x person needs.

A bounty is normally for security issues, which Blesta doesn't have. Modules can be made by anyone and sold on to customers from your website (marketplace) or if Blesta are looking for it might buy it from you. 

You may submit any contributions you'd like to us, and if we find it useful may include it in future releases. But it would be a violation of our License Agreement to modify our intellectual property and sell it (even to us).

Of course, if you create an extension that doesn't use our intellectual property you are free to sell and distribute it however you want (we may even be interested in purchasing it).

We provide dozens of extensions with Blesta for free in the hopes that third party developers will do the same, but we are not against anyone charging for their hard-earned work provided it doesn't use our intellectual property.

Of course, if you create an extension that doesn't use our intellectual property you are free to sell and distribute it however you want (we may even be interested in purchasing it).

That statement kind of concerns me.  I am in the process of re-writing some of the modules that are included (proxmox is one).  My versions are all self contained modules but they use the blesta api to interact with blesta, the database, etc..  Are you saying that is against your terms of service because it is using your IP (the api)?

That statement kind of concerns me.  I am in the process of re-writing some of the modules that are included (proxmox is one).  My versions are all self contained modules but they use the blesta api to interact with blesta, the database, etc..  Are you saying that is against your terms of service because it is using your IP (the api)?

No. It sounds like you're doing it exactly right. What he means is that you can't sell something that contains our code. For example, if you take a module we wrote, tweak it a little and sell it then you're effectively selling our code.

Hello I Just Install Blesta Yesterday And It Is Super Easy To Use I'm Not Programer But I see the document and how to make your own modules ,

plugins ....,  it's super easy i will make my own modules.

I Setup my own theme and set up every package and test it with almost no time ,

The Blesta Developer Just they know what the client needs and i like them to make more super custom Modules

in the last i wish the best for the blesta team.

Hello I Just Install Blesta Yesterday And It Is Super Easy To Use I'm Not Programer But I see the document and how to make your own modules ,
plugins ....,  it's super easy i will make my own modules.

I Setup my own theme and set up every package and test it with almost no time ,
The Blesta Developer Just they know what the client needs and i like them to make more super custom Modules
in the last i wish the best for the blesta team.

Thanks for the kind words!

Thanks all for the replies, updates and experiences.

We took several months decided and up to a point even tried out unlimtied licenses of the both being able to compare them and we decided not to go with blesta, here is why:

We feel blesta is focusing to much on a small group that have an extensive knowledge of php.

We also feel because whmcs is so popular and there are soo many modules available that blesta should try to win the users over by creating new modules, organizing contents etc but they don't.

We are based in the netherlands and 95% of our clients prefer to pay using a payment gateway called iDeal. We found a post dating back to 2010 where the users claims Blesta is currently working to integrate this.

Unfortunately, we're in 2014 now and the module is still not available.

On page one this comments was made: 'all of us developpers will help you and build it'

I contacted several developers and before we made a clear overview of what it would cost to have the essential modules developers, we ready to have a module made,

found out that the general tone isn't to help out the community (Develop the module and make it available (commercially / free) on the forums but they rather keep the modules to themselve,

we contacted 4 developers and they all mentioned this to us.

Further more,

the fact that modules garden left to work exclusively for whmcs is never good for business but at least you could absorb the modules (which they handed over) and keep providing updates etc but what I understood from the page it's basically 'as is'. The same principle applies with a lot of the other modules developers here, a lot of them are 'as is'.

So getting back to the post from @PauloV '3º- Can I sleep at night with Blesta?'

Can you really sleep while using modules which the developer don't even support? We don't.

And finally the translation; Like other choices made regarding blesta they are all well though out put we're properly executed(my opinion),

the translation project is great but it is soo time consuming we stopped, we suggested on this forum to let google translate it at first and have users make it better but Blesta's view on this was different.

The final reason that pushed us over to whmcs side was the fact that blesta doesn't have a dedicated support,

we experienced pre-sale is good and fast and support is slow.

In conclusion, for us as a Dutch company, blesta has the following downsides compared to whmcs:

- Basic payment gateways are not available

- Our language isn't even fully translated and doing so (only for us) will take us a day or so, doing so and sharing this with the community will take up a week or so... So users probably translated the language files themselves but didnt share them due to the extra days it takes to use the translation project.

- None of the dutch registrars are supported. We contacted two and they both informed us they never ever had a request for using their api with blesta.

Maybe if the bullet points mentioned above change we might look again at Blesta but at this point it would be 4 times as expensive for us to start using blesta than to start using whmcs.

To be honest why should Blesta support / update third party modules? That's like supporting a client who has a server at another host fixing this and that. It's the developer (aka host)'s issue.. which they dumped on Blesta.

iDeal:

- Blesta: No gateway yet.

- ClientExec: No (https://www.clientexec.com/addons.php)

- HostBill: Yes

- WHM**: Yes

So basic? Maybe but it's not included as a basic gateway at two well known billing systems.

Blesta doesn't need to win anyone over, it's just what people want. A secure system or a rushed one with updates every week / month, breaking features but hey it's fully equipped. 

Hello @Dominick ,

we feel your experience , your souffrence , i have to translate blesta in our language (soon we will make it available to the community ) , and i have to developpe and still developping some custom plugins/modules that are not for public because it use our own software or script or services . so we don't beleive it should be for others .

in the maintime i'm creating releasing some free plugins for all , that is because a standard for all . i'm affraid about your request to not have time to make something for you , but i'm sure , in the future we will have more free time and we can do more thing to the community , main big bussines is not developping soft , i have my onw revenue from other service i offer , for that all my plugins are free , i beleive in my mind to success my services and still use blesta billing soft , blesta should succes and ashould continue , for that i'm helping blesta/users in this forum , if blesta disapear , i should fetch another alernative to run my billing .

another think about blesta , i'm sur they are cranking in some feature and optimizing the code , but i have already talked some day with paul in the chat , and i have told him, to see and listen to users request , what users need is more important for what they want to offer , they ned to make some type of balancing with users requests and TODO list of what they want .

whm** has arrived to all this modules/plugins/gateways for so many years of work and help from a lot of other devellopers/companies , blesta is taking thier road and we need to be patient with them for some times .

as developper i have stopped working in some modules until the final release of v3.3 , i have stopped imporevement of orderbox registrar , because they will release a new system for domains , i can't accept losing time in coding thing that will not work after some weeks .

for ideal gateway check this website, maybe they can do it http://www.php-solutions.nl/ideal .

have you put any request in freelance website ?

wich registrar you are asking thier module ?