Improving The Translation Project

Dominick

Hi,

Blesta only has been translated to my language for 13% so I am eager to help,

I translated other solutions so I thought it would be again using a code editor and downloading the language files straight on the server, zipping them and uploading them somewhere,

However there seems to be an entire blesta translation project going on; nice idea!

However, it's taking me several times as long as editing straight in the files because the page has to load after each sentence/word.

My question:

- If I translate the language files via my editor, can I somehow upload them into the translate project for others to improve?

- Is it possible to get 20/30 sentences/words shown at the same time?

I really wanna help translate blesta but I find this way very time consuming and not very productive...

Unfortunately there is no feature to translate multiple at a time, or to accept contributions uploaded separately from the translator itself.

I would imagine that it would take about the same amount of time, or less, to go through each definition in the Translator as it would be to update text files manually. Manually, you would need to duplicate all language files, place them in their approprate directories, and make sure you don't create any syntax errors while updating any of the 100s of files, while also ensuring you haven't missed any. And when updates to Blesta come out, you'd need to merge the changes and add/update/remove some of the definitions. That sounds time consuming.

I think we have plans to use Google to translate the language definitions for all languages, and allow users to update them for accuracy through the Translator. That way, all languages would be 100% translated, and for example, your language would be at least 13% accurate.

I like your upload idea, though. Curious what others think.

Yes +1 for me too,

I see you want to translate the dutch language definitions..(I think..)

You are right its very time consuming. every spare time i got, am translating the dutch language definitions.

Am not that good on translating all of the strings..but he, every bit to translate blesta helps..

And i notice that there are not as many dutch people that uses Blesta at this time..

I think we have plans to use Google to translate the language definitions for all languages, and allow users to update them for accuracy through the Translator.

Would recommend against that.

It is more professional to miss out on some languages, than have translations that are very poor.

Not everyone seems to realize how bad they are, to the point that we even receive Google translated phishing e-mails here...

They are quite funny, and contain language and sentence constructs a genuine organization would never use. :rolleyes:

One problem with translating Blesta is that there are so many strings.

Would be nice if it was possible to only translate the clientarea, e-mail templates and order pages.

Care less if the admin panel is in English.

Would recommend against that.

It is more professional to miss out on some languages, than have translations that are very poor.

I agree the Google translations aren't very good for the most part, but there seems to be a high demand for having them anyway, and we can make them available for those that want it.

One problem with translating Blesta is that there are so many strings.

Would be nice if it was possible to only translate the clientarea, e-mail templates and order pages.

Care less if the admin panel is in English.

It sounds like you're thinking of it in terms of options, which is what I would like to see as well. Whether to include/exclude Google translations when downloading a language could be one of those options. However, time has not permitted us to improve the translator that much yet.

I believe the Google Translate is a good idea maybe it shows a line under the English one and you enter it correctly however the Google Translate could be a guide.

English: _______________

Google: _______________

Yours: _________________

Unfortunately there is no feature to translate multiple at a time, or to accept contributions uploaded separately from the translator itself.

I would imagine that it would take about the same amount of time, or less, to go through each definition in the Translator as it would be to update text files manually. Manually, you would need to duplicate all language files, place them in their approprate directories, and make sure you don't create any syntax errors while updating any of the 100s of files, while also ensuring you haven't missed any. And when updates to Blesta come out, you'd need to merge the changes and add/update/remove some of the definitions. That sounds time consuming.

I think we have plans to use Google to translate the language definitions for all languages, and allow users to update them for accuracy through the Translator. That way, all languages would be 100% translated, and for example, your language would be at least 13% accurate.

I like your upload idea, though. Curious what others think.

The reason why I think the translate.blesta project takes more time to translate is because I have to use to click to go to the next page,

I often contribute to projects because I like my solutions to be in Dutch and Dutch isn't always available, Editing straight into a text file or use the POedit app increases the productivity because my hands can stay on the keyboard and it's just 'go with the flow' :)

And i notice that there are not as many dutch people that uses Blesta at this time..

I thought that too so I talked to several people I know who also have small buz. regarding internet/hosting/design etc and they all know blesta and several of them use it for their english speaking clientele but dont use it for their dutch clientele (audience) because the translation is such a pain in the .... And I agree, I recently purchased myself a license for idevaffiliate and instead of translating that one to dutch I simply purchased the dutch language file.

English: _______________

Google: _______________

Yours: _________________

I also believe this is indeed a great option, and wmaybe even integrate a checkbox to 'use google translation'. I often use google to translate api docs to english (from dutch) and google often nails the translation, at least dutch <-> english.

The reason why I think the translate.blesta project takes more time to translate is because I have to use to click to go to the next page,

I often contribute to projects because I like my solutions to be in Dutch and Dutch isn't always available, Editing straight into a text file or use the POedit app increases the productivity because my hands can stay on the keyboard and it's just 'go with the flow' :)

You can avoid using the mouse, and just use the keyboard when translating:

1. Go to translate, and the text box is selected

2. Type your translation

3. Press tab (to focus on the Translate button)

4. Press spacebar or enter (to submit your translation)

5. Repeat from step #2 for the next definition

• 3 months later...

Why don't you put the translation editor code to github and let the community help out. This way you can concentrate on the core of Blesta and we can worry about the translation editor.

good idea .... with github all will participate in transalation and correct defition is is wrong .

Why don't you put the translation editor code to github and let the community help out. This way you can concentrate on the core of Blesta and we can worry about the translation editor.

+1

If we dont do someting, blesta will not have the "big impact" because of the translations available :)

• 4 months later...

Tyson, I am in software development business and we had a web based application for data insertion that included version management. The data also needed to be translated to many languages. So, for some people the logical approach was to also implement translation editing into our web application. After 50k€ or so investment, we have basically ditched the custom translation editor (included history, fuzzy matching, etc) because we always needed to update some parts of it or implement something additional, and are now happily using an external process with professional tools that have existed for decades.

If only we had not tried to reinvent the wheel and used translation export/import in the first place. Concentrate on Blesta itself and let us use available tools to modify the phrases.

I would be more than happy to volunteer some of my time to make this happen.