Key-Based Authentication For Sftp Backups

Mike

You do realize this can't work using your PGP key-ring, right? You would have to give Blesta the full server path to the SSH private key that exists on your Blesta server. That means the private key can't be encrypted...

So... still want to +1 this? :ph34r:

Would it be possible to have an encrypted certificate and the path to the certificate encrypted with two different 4096 bit keys?  :blink:

You do realize this can't work using your PGP key-ring, right? You would have to give Blesta the full server path to the SSH private key that exists on your Blesta server. That means the private key can't be encrypted...

So... still want to +1 this? :ph34r:

In theory you could store the private key in the database and that would be just as secure as storing the password there. (Assuming it is encrypted) 

My ssh is already locked down to known ip's via firewall and my backup user is very locked down as to what they can do anyways.

In theory you could store the private key in the database and that would be just as secure as storing the password there. (Assuming it is encrypted) 

My ssh is already locked down to known ip's via firewall and my backup user is very locked down as to what they can do anyways.

Yeah, but I'm just trying to highlight that this doesn't really add any additional security to clarify for those that may be under the impression that Blesta will magically read their PGP key-ring or something. That said, using asymetric keys is preferable to passwords for requesting shell access so I guess CORE-1272 is a net positive.

Yeah, but I'm just trying to highlight that this doesn't really add any additional security to clarify for those that may be under the impression that Blesta will magically read their PGP key-ring or something. That said, using asymetric keys is preferable to passwords for requesting shell access so I guess CORE-1272 is a net positive.

Yes, if nothing else for the fact that disabling password authentication is good for security. It eliminates the possibility of common, password based brute-force attacks.