Thoughts On Plesk?

ServZoo

Anyone have any thoughts on Plesk? I haven't used it in years, but it looks like they have come a long way in terms of easy of use. I am not giving up cPanel, but I'm considering spinning up a Plesk machine for the newer hosting customers as it honestly looks easier to the newbie than any other panel.

Thoughts?

Plesk looks awful to use, but their file manager is the nicest of all panels in my opinion, I helped a mate on his system and he had to do everything for me on teamviewer I just edited the lines of code needed. They have however released Plesk 12 today at HostingCon. I used to be a cPanel fan until I met InterWorx lol.

I like Interworx as well, but it's really not what I'm trying to accomplish. Interworx is easy to me to but the new version of Plesk is like newbie heaven...

Just trying to get a gauge from those that might have used it or are currently using it in production.

Plesk looks awful to use, but their file manager is the nicest of all panels in my opinion, I helped a mate on his system and he had to do everything for me on teamviewer I just edited the lines of code needed. They have however released Plesk 12 today at HostingCon. I used to be a cPanel fan until I met InterWorx lol.

Plesk 12 is what I'm talking about! I got the beta a few months ago and it's actually VERY newbie friendly.

Plesk 12 is what I'm talking about! I got the beta a few months ago and it's actually VERY newbie friendly.

Man mate you are fast :D

Oh it's http://download1.parallels.com/Plesk/PP12/parallels-plesk-12.0-for-windows.html

That looks better on the frontend but their editor has gone back a level not a fan of that now lol its just like filezilla.

It's definitely different.... I think what I'm drawn to is just how easy it is for a novice to use. I would image it would annoy any one else! LOL

I have no intentions of ever getting rid of cPanel, but I would like to offer different panels based on choice.

I'm using plesk and cpanel on few servers,to be clear Plesk is instaled on two dedi-server vs cPanel on 5 ,I'm selling plesk vs cpanel in 4:1 ratio when it comes shared hosting and 5:1 ratio when it comes reseller plans.To incrase plesk sales I'm offer same amount of storage  and unlimited BW at same prices but on Plesk servers SSD storage is provided.When  decide to introduce alternative option for my customer I tryed Interworx also and some other option also but I decide to go with Plesk as cpanel alternative

I'm using plesk and cpanel on few servers,to be clear Plesk is instaled on two dedi-server vs cPanel on 5 ,I'm selling plesk vs cpanel in 4:1 ratio when it comes shared hosting and 5:1 ratio when it comes reseller plans.To incrase plesk sales I'm offer same amount of storage  and unlimited BW at same prices but on Plesk servers SSD storage is provided.When  decide to introduce alternative option for my customer I tryed Interworx also and some other option also but I decide to go with Plesk as cpanel alternative

That's an interesting statistic, do you find your customers prefer the Plesk interface over cPanel?

We perfer using cPanel then Plesk or any outher painel (for now), because:

- We have alot of info on how to fix any problems.

- We have an excelent support from cpanel. 24/7 in Ticket Support

- We cannot think using anouther painel if they dont have:

Free cPanel Plugins:

rfxn.com (LMD)
configserver.com (CSF, CMC, CSE, CMQ)
prajith.in (Apachebooster [Nginx + Varnish])

Paid cPanel Plugins:

CloudLinux.com

configserver.com (CXS)

How can a good hosting buisness can live without those options?

With CloudLinux we can sleep because it can cage any user and also can limit resources (cpu, ram, etc)

With ConfigServer CSF + CXS + LMD from rfxn.com we can block 90% of all malware coming to our servers from/to insecure scripts

With Apachebooster, our servers are 300% more fast because it uses file cache (static content) + ram cache (dinamic content). (yes we have alot [>32Gb] of memory ram in each server)

With the rest of the plugin we can easily access data and fix things

In the outher hand, cPanel is a bit expensive and could have better options (IPV6 thake alot of time but its here alredy), for the years and knowhow they have.

For clients that whant to buy form us dedicated servers, we tell them to use cpanel (because we know how to help), or free painels like virtualmin+webmin and zpanel (we have used in test enviorments and its user friendly).

Interworx seems to grow fast, and has alot of potential, we will shot a trial in one of our servers to test ourselfs and trie to see how can we deveolp some integrations to ourselfs

Off Topic: We didnt like the cPanel+WHMCS "love", for me its killing cPanel brand because of all security and bad support WHMCS has (and now ModulesGarden also starting to have bad reputation because WHMCS to).

On Topic: Plesk always has ben here in the "Shadow" of cPanel, and is also a very good painel (we used in the good old days wen VPS started to show up) and it seems the only problem for now is still the add ons that plesk insists to not include by default.

configserver.com (CXS)

How do you like CXS? Has it found and stopped malicious code?

Off Topic: We didnt like the cPanel+WHMCS "love", for me its killing cPanel brand because of all security and bad support WHMCS has (and now ModulesGarden also starting to have bad reputation because WHMCS to).

A lot of people feel the same way. Not the best decision for cPanel and in hindsight I think they realize that, but they have to make the best of it now.

On Topic: Plesk always has ben here in the "Shadow" of cPanel, and is also a very good painel (we used in the good old days wen VPS started to show up) and it seems the only problem for now is still the add ons that plesk insists to not include by default.

What I like about Plesk most is that it runs on Linux and Windows. We have a Plesk server up and running for development purposes and I could see running Plesk for Windows hosting, but cPanel and Interworx seem like better Linux panels. One panel not many people talk about much, but that has a pretty dedicated (but smaller) following is DirectAdmin.

I have high hopes for Interworx. There are some things I don't like about it, but they have a good team and they innovate. I expect to see some major growth with Interworx over the next few years.

Well they bought it on themselves :) Also cPanel don't release security fixes asap, they wait and include it in a Monthly release. InterWorx was found out to be the fastest at fixing and releasing patches in a whitepaper by Rack911. http://files.rack911labs.com/whitepapers/RACK911_Labs_-_Year_In_Review-2013.pdf

Well they bought it on themselves :) Also cPanel don't release security fixes asap, they wait and include it in a Monthly release. InterWorx was found out to be the fastest at fixing and releasing patches in a whitepaper by Rack911. http://files.rack911labs.com/whitepapers/RACK911_Labs_-_Year_In_Review-2013.pdf

I think I'm naturally attracted to Interworx because I can relate to them. They are motivated, they innovate, they care about and listen to their customers. This is what the world needs more of.

How do you like CXS? Has it found and stopped malicious code?

A lot of people feel the same way. Not the best decision for cPanel and in hindsight I think they realize that, but they have to make the best of it now.

What I like about Plesk most is that it runs on Linux and Windows. We have a Plesk server up and running for development purposes and I could see running Plesk for Windows hosting, but cPanel and Interworx seem like better Linux panels. One panel not many people talk about much, but that has a pretty dedicated (but smaller) following is DirectAdmin.

I have high hopes for Interworx. There are some things I don't like about it, but they have a good team and they innovate. I expect to see some major growth with Interworx over the next few years.

CXS is great, it blocks 90% of all uploaded/injected scripts with malicious code/virus. We can say, in each server it blocks/quarentene more then 50 attempts per day.

The big prolem is Wordpress and Joomla that as allot, and I say it again, ALOT of insecure modules/plugins that make it easy to hackers upload/inject, and more than 50% of our clients use them, we trie to warn, we had third party plugins like Softaculous to help clients update, but they still do nothing and we have to trie to be pro-active in this cases.

Yes, plesk can work on windows and linux, cPanel as tried also witk Ekompass, but the problem is "Microsoft" still dosent go "OpenSource" model, and so all of us developpers go to Linux insted Windows :)

In my opinion (we have some local Hyper-V servers with Linux and Windows), Linux is better because the stability and resources consumed, and ofvourse opensource :)

Interworx call my attention wen we beggin to move to Blesta, and still has a long way to run to gain reputation :) lets hope they do ;)

How you provisionning VM in Hyper-V ?

Re: Its locally, for dev/testing purpose only, so its manuall (default windows/Hyper-V Painel), but if you want a control painel to automatte things with an API to integrate with Blesta, you can use WebsitePanel (http://www.websitepanel.net/) :)

what about licences for windows VM ?

Re: Hyper-V is free to run VM's, so you need one licence for one Fisical Dedicated Sever and you can host unlimited Linux VM's and/or you can host/choose windows VM's licences below:

Using Server 08 R2 as the reference per hypervisor.
Standard License = 1 Physical and 1 Virtual
Enterprise License = 1 Physical and 4 Virtual
Datacenter License = 1 Physical and Unlimited Virtual